I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

Around here people let their dogs out after 5.30 as the know the rangers are finished for the day. They lock them back in at around 6 am before any of the rangers are back at work.

It's most frustrating.

I do not appreciate having off lead dogs come up to mine full stop. Experience has shown me there are more not friendly to aggressive than there are friendly.

I will soon be walking three Whippets, all on lead all under control. I expect the courteousy of others doing the same.

Luckily I live on acreage so it is not something I have to worry about often, but sometimes we all go in, the kids take their bikes and we go for a walk around. It should have to involve dodging dogs or defending my dogs and kids from them.

I've never seen a ranger where I live, only after my dog attack. You shouldn't have to spend your family walk ducking, diving and weaving around other people's off leash dogs but it seems to be a way of life for all of us these days. Being a dog owner for some is about no care taken and no responsibility accepted. We are all going to end up being policed to death with dog laws, where barking at the Metre reader man through a closed gate will be considered menacing, all because of the few messing it up for the rest of us.

For many people its also about taking all care and accepting all responsibility.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest hankodie

Just reading back on some of these posts. To those who walk their dogs off lead in areas where it is illegal: do you know that you're breaking the law? And if so, why do you do it? :confused: It just seems so unnecessary. So you got your dog to follow you around everywhere. Great job. Why don't you practice this great bond you have with your dog in LEGAL off lead areas, these do not include suburban streets and cafe fronts. There is absolutely no reason to break the law, I don't care how well behaved your dog is. And frankly, "I walk my dog off lead because he and i have an amazing bond so screw the law" is poor reasoning, it also makes you sound like you caught a couple of episodes of Cesar Millan one night and decided that you too are an alpha pack master leader of all dogs (or whatever).

I've met with some amazing dog trainers who all have well behaved dogs that would probably walk at perfect heel through fire and even they would never dream of walking their dogs off leash where it is not permitted. It just seems silly and unnecessary.

I don't think there's any hysteria in this post, getting rushed at/being attacked by a loose dog is incredibly terrifying and downright traumatising. I fully sympathise with everyone who has had to endure such an unfortunate experience. I am a tiny petite woman and I would not be able to defend myself or my dogs in an attack and I have had some very, very close calls. One of those times a young man dashed out of his house because he heard me yelling, if it weren't for him the incident could have ended very badly.

It comes down to consideration, keep your dog on a leash or contained when required. It really isn't that hard.

I've asked these same questions and haven't really got a sensible answer from the off leash walkers, only a lot of clap trap about having a special bond with their dog. I don't get there need to do it either, I suspect the real reason doesn't sound as uplifting as the bonding claim and has more to do with looking cool and being super human, showing the world what a superior being they must be to have such control over their large pet, that they don't need to tie their dog to them. I've even been told repeatedly that an unleashed dog doesn't mean an uncontrolled dog, there's a highly irrational statement if ever there was one.

They don't even attempt to explain why they feel they are entitled to break the law. It's all very odd I've never come across a state of denial quite like it.

What bothers me is that if this forum is a cross section of our society, say if there are 10 posters at any one time and two of them haven't got a problem with walking there dog off leash, does that mean out in the real world that two out of every ten dog owners feel they are entitled to break the leash laws too. Scary idea I think.

If there wasn't value/benefit in walking your dog off lead then there wouldn't be any demand for off lead dog areas. Pretty sure I've even seen threads in this very forming asking for greater off lead areas. Just because you don't see value in it doesn't mean that others don't.

Please re-read my post - nowhere did I specify that there was no value in it. I don't have an issue with people who want to walk their dogs off lead, in LEGAL off lead areas. My issue lies with owners who do it illegally, not only are they breaking the law but it's incredibly inconsiderate.

If people were questioning my intentions with offlead walking. A)she was highly trained before I got her. B) I continued her training. C) Eventually it was mostly used to round up my mothers flighty dog if it escaped since she was disabled and unable to chase the little bugger.

As I said I wouldnt do so with any of my other dogs. While they are reasonably good I wouldnt say to that degree. This old girl could walk through a mob of kangaroos, a flock of birds, children running, balls, cats and was even bitten by other dogs. If she was doing heel work she ignored. If I took my previous GSD offlead she would probably have shot off after most of those! Which is why she was onlead.

Im a big believer in effective control. Id rather train a dog who would ignore everything if possible over relying on a lead which can be slipped, broken or dropped by people.

I would never allow my dogs to rush people. That needs to be clear. If I cant trust them 100% regardless of stimuli they are onlead. That goes for offlead areas too. If your dog takes off in an offlead area they can still run onto a road etc if they dont recall.

Around here people let their dogs out after 5.30 as the know the rangers are finished for the day. They lock them back in at around 6 am before any of the rangers are back at work.

It's most frustrating.

I do not appreciate having off lead dogs come up to mine full stop. Experience has shown me there are more not friendly to aggressive than there are friendly.

I will soon be walking three Whippets, all on lead all under control. I expect the courteousy of others doing the same.

Luckily I live on acreage so it is not something I have to worry about often, but sometimes we all go in, the kids take their bikes and we go for a walk around. It should have to involve dodging dogs or defending my dogs and kids from them.

I've never seen a ranger where I live, only after my dog attack. You shouldn't have to spend your family walk ducking, diving and weaving around other people's off leash dogs but it seems to be a way of life for all of us these days. Being a dog owner for some is about no care taken and no responsibility accepted. We are all going to end up being policed to death with dog laws, where barking at the Metre reader man through a closed gate will be considered menacing, all because of the few messing it up for the rest of us.

For many people its also about taking all care and accepting all responsibility.

This is what I agree with. If people want to break the law they should accept all responsibility.. Anyone who breaks the law should cop the consequences. Off-lead in On-lead areas, dog attacks, roaming dogs, accidents caused by dogs etc. They should take all responsibility.

As for off-lead 'bonding'. Why not save it for off-lead areas? where you won't be disturbing other people who don't welcome it.

We can use street-racing as an analogy. There's race tracks out there for people want to 'bond' with their car. The road is not a race track. Should people be racing on the streets just because they find 'value' in it for themselves? Even though they disturb and put other road users at risk?

RazorBlade, I see great value in areas where dogs are legally allowed off leash and use off leash areas regularly, for my dogs to have a proper free run and play with each other and other suitable dogs, where dogs and owners ate all happy with it. I also practice my effective voice control, obedience training etc including walking at heel in these areas.

That's completely different in my view to taking my dogs for a walk. When I walk my dogs on the streets, in public areas and anywhere else they are required to be on lead I expect them to stay close to me, walk in the direction I want them to, and only interact with other people or animals if I tell them they can. There is nothing about having them on a lead that means we can't do that so why on earth would I just not keep them on lead where they are supposed to be?

I really don't buy your argument that you can flaunt the law and respect for others to demonstrate (and I'm not sure to whom) your great bond with your dog.

Just reading back on some of these posts. To those who walk their dogs off lead in areas where it is illegal: do you know that you're breaking the law? And if so, why do you do it? :confused: It just seems so unnecessary. So you got your dog to follow you around everywhere. Great job. Why don't you practice this great bond you have with your dog in LEGAL off lead areas, these do not include suburban streets and cafe fronts. There is absolutely no reason to break the law, I don't care how well behaved your dog is. And frankly, "I walk my dog off lead because he and i have an amazing bond so screw the law" is poor reasoning, it also makes you sound like you caught a couple of episodes of Cesar Millan one night and decided that you too are an alpha pack master leader of all dogs (or whatever).

I've met with some amazing dog trainers who all have well behaved dogs that would probably walk at perfect heel through fire and even they would never dream of walking their dogs off leash where it is not permitted. It just seems silly and unnecessary.

I don't think there's any hysteria in this post, getting rushed at/being attacked by a loose dog is incredibly terrifying and downright traumatising. I fully sympathise with everyone who has had to endure such an unfortunate experience. I am a tiny petite woman and I would not be able to defend myself or my dogs in an attack and I have had some very, very close calls. One of those times a young man dashed out of his house because he heard me yelling, if it weren't for him the incident could have ended very badly.

It comes down to consideration, keep your dog on a leash or contained when required. It really isn't that hard.

I've asked these same questions and haven't really got a sensible answer from the off leash walkers, only a lot of clap trap about having a special bond with their dog. I don't get there need to do it either, I suspect the real reason doesn't sound as uplifting as the bonding claim and has more to do with looking cool and being super human, showing the world what a superior being they must be to have such control over their large pet, that they don't need to tie their dog to them. I've even been told repeatedly that an unleashed dog doesn't mean an uncontrolled dog, there's a highly irrational statement if ever there was one.

They don't even attempt to explain why they feel they are entitled to break the law. It's all very odd I've never come across a state of denial quite like it.

What bothers me is that if this forum is a cross section of our society, say if there are 10 posters at any one time and two of them haven't got a problem with walking there dog off leash, does that mean out in the real world that two out of every ten dog owners feel they are entitled to break the leash laws too. Scary idea I think.

If there wasn't value/benefit in walking your dog off lead then there wouldn't be any demand for off lead dog areas. Pretty sure I've even seen threads in this very forming asking for greater off lead areas. Just because you don't see value in it doesn't mean that others don't.

I absolutely see the value in it, it's a great ability to have but it must be done in designated off lead areas not in on leash areas. I have never said there is no merit in having a dog walk off leash with its owner, but please only in the right place. You may be fantastic at the off leash training but there will be a lot of dog owners that aren't, they just think they are. For everyone's safety choose the off lead parks.

It's most frustrating.

I'm glad you feel that way and I'm sure you are sincere when you say it and would be devastated if something went wrong while walking Toby off leash, just think of it this way, if you are really skilled at off leash walking and you seem to be, others will see you doing it in an on leash area, how would you feel if some young guy tried to copy you, did it badly, and caused an accident or if his dog went after Toby because the young bloke doesn't have your control. Do you see what I mean, you are setting an example, others will try to copy it, please set that example in an off leash area.

I have no issue with people having their dog offlead in a designated area.

However if I call my dog to my side even in and offlead area I expect that others will/should do the same as I obviously don't want my dog to interact.

If I allow my dog to stay running free then by all means allow your dog to run up to mine

I'm not sure how anyone can defend walking off lead when it simply comes down to being illegal. Surely that should be all the reason needed to keep them on lead :confused:

My pup has just had his final vaccinations and is reading to go exploring, all the areas I want to take him are on lead only parks and beaches and until this thread it never entered my mind that I'd have to potentially deal with people choosing to break the law.

So a quick thanks to this thread for making me think about that, I think I'll do a few walks without my dog in those areas first to get a feel for what we might come across.

If people were questioning my intentions with offlead walking. A)she was highly trained before I got her. B) I continued her training. C) Eventually it was mostly used to round up my mothers flighty dog if it escaped since she was disabled and unable to chase the little bugger.

As I said I wouldnt do so with any of my other dogs. While they are reasonably good I wouldnt say to that degree. This old girl could walk through a mob of kangaroos, a flock of birds, children running, balls, cats and was even bitten by other dogs. If she was doing heel work she ignored. If I took my previous GSD offlead she would probably have shot off after most of those! Which is why she was onlead.

Im a big believer in effective control. Id rather train a dog who would ignore everything if possible over relying on a lead which can be slipped, broken or dropped by people.

I would never allow my dogs to rush people. That needs to be clear. If I cant trust them 100% regardless of stimuli they are onlead. That goes for offlead areas too. If your dog takes off in an offlead area they can still run onto a road etc if they dont recall.

I think the issue is not how much you trust your dogs. They may be 100% biddable. But if I see you with an offlead dog in an on lead area when I'm walking my dogs, I wouldn't know how well trained your dogs are. Which means that I will have to take a different road to ensure my dogs' safety.

The oval near my place is on lead only at all times. I usually take my dogs there and we have a great time walking and jogging (always on lead). However, there have been times when I drove over to the oval, saw quite a few off lead dogs, put my dogs back in the car and drove back home. I could have gone in assuming that all those dogs are 100% biddable, but I have no way to tell. I have seen dogs walk perfectly by their owners side, and then suddenly run up to my dogs. It's not worth the risk.

I'm not sure how anyone can defend walking off lead when it simply comes down to being illegal. Surely that should be all the reason needed to keep them on lead :confused:

My pup has just had his final vaccinations and is reading to go exploring, all the areas I want to take him are on lead only parks and beaches and until this thread it never entered my mind that I'd have to potentially deal with people choosing to break the law.

So a quick thanks to this thread for making me think about that, I think I'll do a few walks without my dog in those areas first to get a feel for what we might come across.

When my dog was a pup, I naively thought walking her wouldn't be an issue, that theory was very soon subject to revision, I was astounded how many off lead dogs I came across in on lead areas. I've become quite adept at doing detours in a very casual manner so as not to attract attention, fortunately for me my dogs focus is on me when she's on leash, so she doesn't react. Good luck with your walks. :)

I think the issue is not how much you trust your dogs. They may be 100% biddable. But if I see you with an offlead dog in an on lead area when I'm walking my dogs, I wouldn't know how well trained your dogs are. Which means that I will have to take a different road to ensure my dogs' safety.

The oval near my place is on lead only at all times. I usually take my dogs there and we have a great time walking and jogging (always on lead). However, there have been times when I drove over to the oval, saw quite a few off lead dogs, put my dogs back in the car and drove back home. I could have gone in assuming that all those dogs are 100% biddable, but I have no way to tell. I have seen dogs walk perfectly by their owners side, and then suddenly run up to my dogs. It's not worth the risk.

I've done exactly the same thing, got back in my car when I've seen off leash dogs at my destination. An off leash dog is an unknown quantity, there is no signal or clue that tells someone it's friendly and under control. I'm done with trusting that a dog owner with an off leash dog is actually in control, I've had to many instances where they are obviously not. :eek:

This is just going around in circles.

For all those who seem to have issues with their comprehension.

PUT YOUR F***ING DOG ON A LEAD.

Noone gives a toss about your "bond" and news flash: people can't read your mind and know your dog is "bombproof".

Ummmm....... No.

This is just going around in circles.

For all those who seem to have issues with their comprehension.

PUT YOUR F***ING DOG ON A LEAD.

Noone gives a toss about your "bond" and news flash: people can't read your mind and know your dog is "bombproof".

Ummmm....... No.

Genuine question: Why can't you walk your dog off lead in off lead areas? I love giving my dog a run so I take him where he can legally do that. It isn't rocket science.

Do you care what impact your behaviour has on other people? Other dogs? One of my dogs is nervous of strange dogs. I got her as a rescue and she had been abused (puppy farm dog). I only walk her in on leash areas. Because of the number of people walking their dogs off leash in on leash areas, her walking is limited to 5am. She is a gorgeous, well behaved dog with great manners. She just doesn't like "friendly" dogs in her face. She has been through hell being a breeding dog on a puppy farm. Her life is limited now because of people like you who want to do what ever they want, wherever they want. I would love to take her for a walk on the weekend at 10am, but I just can't - the stress for both of us is just too much. She WILL react to a rude dog in her face, and she will come off second best. I am constantly tired.

If people just obeyed the law then both Lucy's and my life would be so much easier and happier. Thanks for nothing.

Because my dog is with me 24hours a days 7 days a week and I can't always be in an off lead area.

My dog won't come anywhere near your dog.

You are starting to sound and behave like a troll.

You are publicly stating you break the law and in fact you don't care about doing this.

I hope you get caught and fined.

What I also know is that no matter what you say here, I know you don't give a crap about your dog because, guess what, your dog will pay the price if anything goes wrong.

Guest hankodie

Because my dog is with me 24hours a days 7 days a week and I can't always be in an off lead area.

My dog won't come anywhere near your dog.

What a perfectly acceptable excuse for breaking the law. Brilliant argument. You sound like a very intelligent person.

Edited by hankodie