I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a reactive dog (he is improving, but it's a work in progress), so only ever have them on lead and will cross a road or otherwise avoid other dog walkers if I can, I have had a couple of scares with off leash / roaming dogs (including one unfriendly entire male mastiff x, when that happened a nice lady driving past stopped her car and I used her car as a barrier between the dogs - she even offered to put me and my dogs in her car!). I now carry a sturdy umbrella (the type with a heavy wooden handle and a metal spike at the end) which can serve as a barrier and if absolutely necessary a weapon, it may look a little odd when its a sunny day, but at the moment I have the excuse that magpie swooping season will soon be upon us :)

Edited by KJJ

It might be natural to be hyper-vigilant, but that doesn't necessarily make it healthy or justified. There are a lot of people out there who manage to walk their dogs safely and even enjoy the experience. If you can't find a way to do that, maybe you shouldn't be walking your dogs at all. Or get professional help, either for you or your dogs or both. You can't let your fears rule your life (and your dogs'). This is no different to social anxiety or agoraphobia in my mind. Like I said, my last dog was attacked 3 times as well. I've been there. I got over it, and so did she in the end.

And I wish people would stop referring to the rest of the dog-owning world as idiots or nuf nufs or other derogatory names. What are people from 'out there' to think when they see things like that? There are a lot of lurkers and guests on this forum. How many do you think are discouraged because of the way people talk about the general dog-owning public? A lot of them are my friends or family and they are NOT idiots just because they don't share the same views as you or behave the same way as you. DOL is not an isolated bubble. What you say here you say to everyone everywhere with an internet connection.

I'm with you KJJ.

My dog is also reactive so unfortunately he can call over the wrong kind of attention.

He once bit a roaming dog's heal so now I walk him with a muzzle due to this possibility and an inability to always control other people and their own animals.

Often wonder what I'd do if another dog had a go at him first. I only carry a small umbrella at the moment.

Pretty good at avoiding dogs in general though.

It might be natural to be hyper-vigilant, but that doesn't necessarily make it healthy or justified. There are a lot of people out there who manage to walk their dogs safely and even enjoy the experience. If you can't find a way to do that, maybe you shouldn't be walking your dogs at all. Or get professional help, either for you or your dogs or both. You can't let your fears rule your life (and your dogs'). This is no different to social anxiety or agoraphobia in my mind. Like I said, my last dog was attacked 3 times as well. I've been there. I got over it, and so did she in the end.

And I wish people would stop referring to the rest of the dog-owning world as idiots or nuf nufs or other derogatory names. What are people from 'out there' to think when they see things like that? There are a lot of lurkers and guests on this forum. How many do you think are discouraged because of the way people talk about the general dog-owning public? A lot of them are my friends or family and they are NOT idiots just because they don't share the same views as you or behave the same way as you. DOL is not an isolated bubble. What you say here you say to everyone everywhere with an internet connection.

I wish you would stop coming into these threads and crapping on about how you don't have problems and all is wonderful in dog walking world. But you don't. So don't try and tell me not to call people nuf nufs. I really don't give a stuff who is reading this either.

Excuse me? I have never said everything is all wonderful in dog walking world. Did you miss the bit where I've been there too? We all have scary moments. I'm sure we have all broken up fights. I'm sure we've all had our hearts pounding while we think "Sh**, I'm in trouble." I certainly have. I've aborted dog park visits. I've nearly got us all run over making a hasty retreat. I've carried my small dog past a dog while shaking and hoping to god he's tied up this time. Just a couple of weeks ago I thought I was going to have a five-dog brawl on my hands at the beach. Thankfully it didn't pan out that way. I took it that Kirty doesn't want to feel frightened all the time. Who does? I know that for me, trying to keep things in perspective does make me feel less afraid. It makes me less reactive and more able to see what is actually happening rather than what I fear is happening. When I see what is actually happening, I can take it in and learn from it and when I see it again I know what is going to happen before it does. That is extremely reassuring to me. You don't have to like me or what I think is helpful. I usually just bite my tongue or try to explain politely why I disagree when I'm feeling the rage.

Excuse me? I have never said everything is all wonderful in dog walking world. Did you miss the bit where I've been there too? We all have scary moments.

And we all cope with them differently. Some, like you Corvus, will go for the "feel the fear and do it anyway" approach.

Others prefer to find methods to avoid having to feel that fear and anxiety. I think if you got to the stage you couldn't leave the yard with your dogs then perhaps some help to deal with the anxiety might be justifed but its' hardly an irrational anxiety if you keep having negative experiences.

I don't call other dog owners numpties or nuff nuffs but I do know that there are dog owners out there who, through either ignorance or arrogance, have no respect for leash laws and whose off leash dogs are a problem. Clearly I'm not alone. Biggest problem Ive had so far was with roaming dogs and I genuinely thought I'd be doing battle one day.

We're never going to agree on this topic but for some people "get over it" isn't the solution. Hence my advice about avoidance strategies. Horses for courses. :shrug:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I have to say, I do agree on this.

Edited by Steph M

I don't walk the local streets either - too many bad experiences with roaming dogs. There are also certain parks that I avoid, again because of bad experiences with others not in control of their dogs. I drive to places that I know well, like the local oval and golf course, and always walk early in the morning. As I walk my older dog separately to the other two, it means two trips. It's a bit more work, but it means we can all enjoy the walk. Off lead is on private property only, no dog parks.

I think that when some people have had a couple (or a few) negative experiences it may make them subconsciously more tense when out and about with their dogs... and their dogs WILL pick up on that tension...

I'm more likely to set out with mine for an enjoyable wander and go with the flow.

What's the point in taking your dogs out for a walk when it's not enjoyed fully by either of you because you fear what may happen along the way? That sounds more like torture for the both of you than any form of exercise or a nice outing. You may as well stay at home and find some other positive way to stimulate your dog...

I have big dogs, so maybe I'm just not seeing it the same way as those who have smaller types - but really, why do it if it's so bloody traumatic for you all the time?

Also - while it's great to come to a place like this and vent about how bad things are, DOL can't actually do anything to lessen the problem... to do that you need to complain to those who CAN do something about the problem... over and over until they get off their arses and do something about it. Squeaky wheel gets the oil, right?

T.

We're never going to agree on this topic but for some people "get over it" isn't the solution. Hence my advice about avoidance strategies. Horses for courses. :shrug:

I, too, find it quite extraordinary that someone who has admitted they have become too frigtened to walk their dogs should be told to get over it.

I'm still shaking from an experience this evening whereby a large dog rushed the fence of a children's playground while I walked past with my five little dogs. The dog was illegally in the playground (notices on all gates) and there were only two small children in the playground with the dog. A young boy had the dog by the collar trying to hold him (no lead of course) and the boy was being dragged along the ground by the dog. The boy was not harmed, was grinning his head off and obviously thought the whole thing a great lark. I was terrified that the gates might not be secure.

I am in the process of writing to the council.

I, too, find it quite extraordinary that someone who has admitted they have become too frigtened to walk their dogs should be told to get over it.

I'm still shaking from an experience this evening whereby a large dog rushed the fence of a children's playground while I walked past with my five little dogs. The dog was illegally in the playground (notices on all gates) and there were only two small children in the playground with the dog. A young boy had the dog by the collar trying to hold him (no lead of course) and the boy was being dragged along the ground by the dog. The boy was not harmed, was grinning his head off and obviously thought the whole thing a great lark. I was terrified that the gates might not be secure.

For the bolded bit, the sensible approach... way to go DD!

T.

Was the nuf nuf parent not around?

Thank you all for the suggestions and nice places to try. I wish we had a place like Kepala on this side of town! I want to enjoy walking my dogs and I will definitely try the places suggested. I do like Lillydale Lake (except for all the dog poo!) but even there, so many people have their dogs offlead on the path.

ETA I couldn't report any of the attacks on my dogs to council because they happened in a public place and I had no way to get details. Actually staff'n'toller, one attack was at Cardinia Reserviour! Its a nice place to walk though, dogs are allowed in most parts.

Edited by *kirty*

ETA I couldn't report any of the attacks on my dogs to council because they happened in a public place and I had no way to get details. Actually staff'n'toller, one attack was at Cardinia Reserviour! Its a nice place to walk though, dogs are allowed in most parts.

Put your council's number in your phone so you can call them in the event of an attack. At the very least, it will scare the nuffnuff owner. Report it anyway as well, as if they do ever get caught then there will be prior evidence of their nuffnuffness.

Heh I do like the word nuffnuff. I don't think DOLers are saying every non-DOLer dog owner is a nuffnuff, but if they're of the off-lead, out of control owner variety then yes. Yes they are.

Was the nuf nuf parent not around?

As I said, only two small children in the playground with the dogs. But over the years, I have seen plenty of nuf nuf parents in the playground with their dogs.

They also nuf nufily tie their dogs up outside the playground, too. Guess where they tie them? Yep, near the water tap and near the bin, so anyone wanting to use these facilities can't get to them because dogs are going ballistic seeing "their" nuf nuf families playing in the playground and they are tied up outside. :mad:mad