Hypothetical: Baby With Temperament Fault

sandgrubber

Would it be correct to sum up by saying behavioral problems that have to do with timidity and avoidance of people MAY correct naturally with change of environment (eg, getting away from bullying siblings) but may also be deeply programmed, and bad enough to warrant pts. However aggressive babies are bad news and should be culled?

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. The stupid slogan "there are no bad dogs, only bad owners", is so wrong. There are certainly dogs born with really aggressive temperaments and they should be culled. Some of these dogs could also have brain defects but no one ever thinks to biopsy the brains to find out.

Timid dogs are a whole different thing. Most grow out of it when removed from the litter if they are carefully exposed to many situations that allow their confidence to grow as babies. They will never be "brave" dogs but can certainly enjoy a normal life.

There is also a huge difference between a baby puppy that constantly bites as a form of mouthing and one that attacks. I had never had a bitey puppy until I got my JS. He has the sweetest cuddly temperament and is very confident for a JS but as a baby he would bite all the time. It took me 4 months to get on top of the biting but it was play biting, not aggressive biting and breeders need to know the difference.

Edited by dancinbcs

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would it be correct to sum up by saying behavioral problems that have to do with timidity and avoidance of people MAY correct naturally with change of environment (eg, getting away from bullying siblings) but may also be deeply programmed, and bad enough to warrant pts. However aggressive babies are bad news and should be culled?

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. The stupid slogan "there are no bad dogs, only bad owners", is so wrong. There are certainly dogs born with really aggressive temperaments and they should be culled. Some of these dogs could also have brain defects but no one ever thinks to biopsy the brains to find out.

Timid dogs are a whole different thing. Most grow out of it when removed from the litter if they are carefully exposed to many situations that allow their confidence to grow as babies. They will never be "brave" dogs but can certainly enjoy a normal life.

There is also a huge difference between a baby puppy that constantly bites as a form of mouthing and one that attacks. I had never had a bitey puppy until I got my JS. He has the sweetest cuddly temperament and is very confident for a JS but as a baby he would bite all the time. It took me 4 months to get on top of the biting but it was play biting, not aggressive biting and breeders need to know the difference.

Yes agree with all of this.

My recent litter i had a couple of very bold puppies, goldens are a very mouthy breed whilst this is usually very very gentle the sharpness of puppy teeth will easily cause cuts and scratches.

I've had a call back with a demanding little puppy, she would bite her owners cloths, hands, feet whatever she could get with consistent excessive barking in the demand for attention.

This pup was the smallest but the bully of the litter too. but boy was this girl intelligent, had learnt sit for a treat at 4 weeks with the all 7 siblings being extremely excited little monsters (loved human interaction as if I was a giant raw bone)but you could see this girl figuring it all out, I stress that this pup would need obedience and a firm pack structure with owner at top. She went to a quiet but confident young lady who lived on her own.

at 10 weeks Holly as the pup was call was barking and growling in the background as she spoke to me. I told her to get a couple of pan and smack them together to get her attention. I then I re affirmed the owner that this pup works on negative and positive reinforcement with high intellect. Give her no attention even to the point of locking her in another room or outside when she is being demanding. And excessive attention when she behaves. I called 4 days later because if the owner couldn't assert herself she'd either need assistance or the pup would need to be returned before permanent bad habits developed.

She was described as a different dog and was actually had access to her yoga classes which her owner taught. All within 4 days.

now 3 months on I've had a number of phone calls inquiring about a puppy like her.

Edited by Angeluca