A Smelly Shock

SeeGee

Hi all! I can only assume that, because things are warming up here in sunny Qld, smells are starting to come out!

As I got out of my car to open the gate, I got as massive wiff of dog poo!! I was shocked! I've walked along the perimeter of the property (1.5 acres) and wandered through it, and I can't find ANYTHING that would create such a smell! No massive fresh deposits or older piles - nothing.

How can I make this smell go away? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm actually very embarrassed!

I have 2 beagles.

I've heard that when you are putting down new wood chips etc to put a layer of lime down which helps prevent fleas and also smells... mainly urine though i think. I know this doesn't help the OP though - sorry! You have't just rolled over a fresh "deposit" and have it on the car wheels or something do you? :shrug:

Decent compost/mulch helps break things down naturally :) my cat litterboxes just use available soil etc here, and I find if I use leafmouldy stuff as opposed to clean sand, the smell is hardly noticeable .

if you are no gardener, but have plants in that area, pls check with a nursery before adding anything. Plants will die quickly if soil pH is wrong, if their tiny surface roots cannot access air/moisture, or if nutrients from the mulch/soil are in the wrong balance ;)

Decent compost/mulch helps break things down naturally :) my cat litterboxes just use available soil etc here, and I find if I use leafmouldy stuff as opposed to clean sand, the smell is hardly noticeable .

if you are no gardener, but have plants in that area, pls check with a nursery before adding anything. Plants will die quickly if soil pH is wrong, if their tiny surface roots cannot access air/moisture, or if nutrients from the mulch/soil are in the wrong balance ;)

Thank you Perse...this bit of garden is more a wee/d bed. :laugh: No plants. But talking to a nursery is a very good idea regardless. They could have some ideas to add.

(DOL...the one stop solution shop. :D)

Decent compost/mulch helps break things down naturally :) my cat litterboxes just use available soil etc here, and I find if I use leafmouldy stuff as opposed to clean sand, the smell is hardly noticeable.

This should be broadcast far and wide. I want to cry when I see acres and acres (exaggeration LOL) of kitty litter in supermarkets.

Bit of soil in decent sized litter trays and dump in garden. If no garden, around trees on footpaths. If no trees on footpaths, plant some - LOL.