Advice Please (please Be Kind)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never realised the Alizin was so expensive (Guess I never thought about it really) - definitely makes desexing the better option in this case! Good luck with your girl, wishing a fast recovery :)

I hope Juno appreciates the extra TLC she'll get now She deserves it :) It will be a relief !

It would probably be a wise move to use a long line on Hunter , and /or walk him on lead - no free running in parks until he learns some manners , perhaps ?

perhaps ask in Training for advice from Stafford folk? This is important . He is of an age now when he will be feeling invincible ... ( think brave young men ;) ) .. and needs to be reminded that the HUMANS are the ones to sort things out - not him.

while I'm here - perhaps have a read of these threads re: dogs/parks/other dogs

LINK

LINK

..and we do need photos ;)

I never realised the Alizin was so expensive (Guess I never thought about it really) - definitely makes desexing the better option in this case! Good luck with your girl, wishing a fast recovery :)

Alizin is a bargain really compared to the cost of raising a litter of pups :)

Well done Lasareina in making the right choice for your baby girl. I am currently raising a litter of pups, it is a massive commitment of both time and money. Even though everything went 'right' and I had years of preparation plus great mentors to see me through it I would still consider this one of the most stressful things I have ever done.

Juno is booked in for desex tomorrow. I'm relieved - last thing I would ever want was for something to happen to her.

Re desexing Hunter - we probably won't do this right now (we have had $6000 ish of unexpected expenses this month, so perfect timing as always :eek: ) but i think it is likely we will get him done fairly soon as well. We had his first instance of "dominant behaviour" if that's what you would call it, at the park the other day where he pinned a young pup and growled at him :dropjaw: . He has always been such a sook (he's usually the one on his back at the park) so this came as a bit of a surprise. He came off the pup when we called him away and didn't snap at him or anything but that was enough for me. I like him as a softie, not a macho man.

Good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure it will all go well :)

Wishing you and Juno all the best. Great decision and in a same but different way I've been where you are - and I'm sure, like me you'll be pleased with your decision. I look at my beautiful girl and thank God for her everyday.

Can't remember who it was - kelpiecuddles? Anyway someone laid out a great path for you to becoming a registered breeder - and once this is over and things have settled, you'll be able to sit down and work that through properly - and you'll find no end of help here if you go about it the right way. :) I suggest 'lurk' here, read and learn as much as you can before you decide if breeding is really what you want to do - its not as easy as it might first seem and doesn't alwasysgo smoothly. After 'lurking' a long time here, I decided breeding wasn't for me and Sarah.

Also suggest you keep in mind that as others have pointed out staffies, while a fantastic breed are hugely over-represented in pound populations and euth data. While I know staffies are your favourite breed, if you do decide to go down the breeding path maybe consider a different breed? If you lurk long enough here you're sure to find another breed to fall in love with (my breed 'bucket' list is long enough for ten lifetimes! :laugh: ).

Anyway please will you let us know in the next couple of days how you get on with Juno? Oh and on't forget the pics!

Edited by westiemum

While I know staffies are your favourite breed, if you do decide to go down the breeding path maybe consider a different breed? If you lurk long enough here you're sure to find another breed to fall in love with (my breed 'bucket' list is long enough for ten lifetimes! :laugh: ).

Just a point here westiemum - the demand for well bred, typical pedigree Staffordshire Bull Terriers is no where near satisfied. BYBer's abound in the breed, breeding crappy dogs of all colours to say nothing of the crossbred "staffys" and these ARE hugely over-represented in pounds.

There would be a tiny number of well bred typical Staffords which are in a pound through anything other than being genuinely lost.

haha i really don't need much convincing to put up photos of my babies :p

I'm really pretty rubbish as a photographer so i don't think they really do the "models" justice haha . Also, I haven't quite worked out how to adjust the size so these could be huge... sorry!

This is Juno... it is so hard to get a photo of her, I usually just end up with a black blur. She never sits still!

junoincar_zps4f4b0068.jpg

And this is boofy Hunter, looking very red on this day.

Hunteronstep_zpsfa5ed96f.jpg

We have our second obedience class with Hunter tonight... Juno hasn't started yet because she has been in season. Even after just one class he is listening a lot better and has been very well behaved this week.

yeah they go alright :rofl: Imagine what they would look like if I knew how to take a decent photo (and not on my iphone) lol.

besotted is right - I think I am at that age where the biological clock is kicking in... and I'm substituting furbabies for babies :laugh: much better idea!

While I know staffies are your favourite breed, if you do decide to go down the breeding path maybe consider a different breed? If you lurk long enough here you're sure to find another breed to fall in love with (my breed 'bucket' list is long enough for ten lifetimes! :laugh: ).

Just a point here westiemum - the demand for well bred, typical pedigree Staffordshire Bull Terriers is no where near satisfied. BYBer's abound in the breed, breeding crappy dogs of all colours to say nothing of the crossbred "staffys" and these ARE hugely over-represented in pounds.

There would be a tiny number of well bred typical Staffords which are in a pound through anything other than being genuinely lost.

So true Sandra - there was a local stafford show here in Canberra a little while ago and they had a visiting judge - she was quite surprised at the dogs and bitches being shown and their 'lack' of true form - although she did also say how lovely some of them were on the day..

Her comments were along the lines of long in the body, no good rear form (I think she meant that their rumps were lean compared to the front end).. Heads were small or large - not in proportion to body size.

It was an interesting read - I will try to find it and put a link up..

Good SBT breeders are out there but there are so many BYBers and others who don't care about the true form and temperament breeding and selling just anything..

Edited to add the link for the show in Canberra - it is a link to a facebook page for the club..

My link

Edited by Staffyluv

So true Sandra - there was a local stafford show here in Canberra a little while ago and they had a visiting judge - she was quite surprised at the dogs and bitches being shown and their 'lack' of true form - although she did also say how lovely some of them were on the day..

Her comments were along the lines of long in the body, no good rear form (I think she meant that their rumps were lean compared to the front end).. Heads were small or large - not in proportion to body size.

It was an interesting read - I will try to find it and put a link up..

Good SBT breeders are out there but there are so many BYBers and others who don't care about the true form and temperament breeding and selling just anything..

Edited to add the link for the show in Canberra - it is a link to a facebook page for the club..

My link

Good SBT breeders are out there but they are hard to find amongst the BYB *and* many registered breeders who are breeding for the pet market and not to improve the breed. It is not just BYB that are ruining the breed, I've seen MANY pedigreed SBT that don't come up to par for the breed standard. Same for the American Staffs. All you have to do is see some of the registered breeders on Gumtree (and FB Pet sites) and shake your head. Even amongst the registered breeders, these breeds are over represented in numbers.

ETA- Sorry Staffyluv. I just reread your post and realised that you were pointing out the same thing that I did. Whoops!

Edited by Pailin

It is not just BYB that are ruining the breed, I've seen MANY pedigreed SBT that don't come up to par for the breed standard. Same for the American Staffs. All you have to do is see some of the registered breeders on Gumtree (and FB Pet sites) and shake your head. Even amongst the registered breeders, these breeds are over represented in numbers.

BYB'ers can be registered breeders too.

Puppy Farmers can be registered breeders too.

Well done, I will be thinking of you tomorrow when I take my Pug in for desexing too.

Sorry I was hard on you yesterday but you hit a nerve for me. I have one Pug in a BYB home and she had her 2nd litter at 2yo almost dying during the first and they bred her again. Long story but I could not afford to keep fighting them. - I now desex my pups to prevent it happening again. I have booked my 10 month old Pug in for desexing tomorrow because I believe he is not good enough for breeding.

Also as a groomer of over 10 years I constantly see pet owners who are forced to pay expensive vet bills due to careless breeding. Hard to explain to the owners most things are easily avoidable but unfortunately it's the pet owners who are out of pocket and heart broken.

Enjoy your dogs and good luck for tomorrow.