Advice Please (please Be Kind)

Juno seems to be doing very well this morning... almost seemed like her normal self. She is confined in the laundry today so we doesn't run around like a loon all day. We had a collar on her originally, although the vet said she didn't think it was really necessary ... Juno kept dragging it along the ground as she was walking because she was still dopey and waling with her head held low :o Stitches looked good this morning.

I hope your pug did well Andisa?

Glad Juno is doing well Lasarenia, they usually bounce back very well after surgery but keep in mind they need rest longer than they seem to think they do. More so for girls than boys. I would be keeping them separated for as long as necessary to prevent injury and play.

Buzz is doing very well, he was more alert that I was expecting when I picked him up. He is back to normal now but still separated from the others, he can't lick the wound but the girls would. Buzz is leaving for his new home next week so I will be keeping him separated from now on anyway so he can get used to the idea of being alone, he is happy as long as he has someone to snuggle with. Thank you for asking :D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear Buzz is doing well :)

The poor little girls get a bit of a bum wrap hey... they are the ones that have to put up with going in season, risks of pregnancy/birth AND the more invasive desex operation ... sounds like its a mans world in the dog world too :laugh:

Good to hear L. So glad it went well - and yes you're right - the boys get a quick snip while the girls get the full deal. Just one thing to watch out for - I reckon like us, some dogs get a bit of a post-GA 'high' and then a day or so later seem to come down with a bit of a bang. As Mac has had so many GAs frown.gif, I'm sure I've seen it fairly consistently with him - he's flatter and quieter by day 2 or 3 post surgery. And then back to his normal self. So don't be surprised if Juno's a bit flat and quiet tomorrow.

Thanks Westiemum... yes her pain relief will also wear off after 24 hours so I guess that might make her a bit mopey as well :(

Glad the op went well. Did the vet give you some pain killers to take home? She will need some over the next few days.

Thanks Rosetta - no the vet gave her an injection that last for 24 hours but didn't think she would need anything other than that? I guess I will just have to watch her closely.

I don't know how people with the little cute fluffys go... I already look at Juno and think she is too little for an operation lol

Pain meds after desexing seems to vary from clinic to clinic. I have had quite a few dogs desexed over the years and so far 4 Pug babies (hardest thing I have ever done was hand over 8 1/2 week old babies for desexing), all have the injection for pain management and nothing else. I was told a bit of pain stops them feeling so good and they will rest longer - less chance of hurting themselves. Contact your vet if you think she is not coping - if so she may need some pain meds.

My girls usually looked pretty sad for a few days after the meds have worn off but you can tell when they are feeling better. A nice comfy bed, plenty of rest and lots of TLC goes a long way..

Recovering from desexing is still easier than recovering from birth or a c-section and raising a litter.