Family Upset After Shelter Puts Down Pet

Burkes

This dog had been impounded before according to the article, I doubt its owners were ignorant of where the pound was or how the system worked.

I was speaking generally, Diva, and not in reference to this particular case :)

I didn't quote you, why would you think I was responding just to you?

People were talking about the pound in Canberra not being well known, which is a good point, but not in this case if the dog had history.

The lovely family who picked up my naughty dog were terrified she would get put down if they took her to the pound so they took her 20 mins north to the closest open vet - an emergency vet. I suspect the vet staff scanned her and when it was clear she had microchip info the family were happy to leave her there. The only reason I found her before the vet rang me was I think because they had so many emergencies in and they hadn't had time to retrieve my contact info. I'm also lucky I used my brain - after spending an hour searching locally and chasing up dodgy leads I was then wasting time trying to load lost and found info with the RSPCA and other online sites so decided to ring my local vets. When I realised which ones weren't open at that time of day I thought about the emergency vet further north. An hour of physical searching, half an hour of unsuccessfully trying to list her as missing online and five minutes of phone calls and I had her back. Very, very lucky, but I still would've been at the door step of every pound and shelter within an hour radius of me first thing on the next working day so I could see for myself! Hell I'd even stand there and yell out her name to see if I could hear her crying if I had to!

You really have to do the leg work yourself and not rely on the system to reconnect you with your dog. Would you do the same thing if your purse full of money went missing? Of course you wouldn't!

Well I do not know how accurate the news article is but I have dealt with DAS since last Thursday over the White Shepherd (spelt as shepard biggrin.gif)that is in there.

I have never dealt with such a rude bunch of people.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also they do not desex dogs before rehoming. icon_smile_mad.gificon_smile_mad.gificon_smile_mad.gificon_smile_mad.gif

Only allow Rescues in when the dog is on death row.frown.giffrown.gif

My Ruby Cavalier went missing New Years Eve some years ago. It was a Friday or Saturday. My friend and I looked for about 4 hours to no avail.

Contacted the pounds first thing Tuesday morning. No ruby cavs.

Went to LDH anyway. Walked around but did not see her.

4 hours later they rang me to say she was there had been all the time.!!!!!!!

God knows why they had not contacted me earlier. Never asked what she was in as.

She must have been asleep when I walked past her pen, because when I went with the staff she was leaping up at the gate.

Well I do not know how accurate the news article is but I have dealt with DAS since last Thursday over the White Shepherd (spelt as shepard biggrin.gif)that is in there.

Also they do not desex dogs before rehoming. icon_smile_mad.gificon_smile_mad.gificon_smile_mad.gificon_smile_mad.gif

The dogs at DAS that are bought by the public get a voucher for desexing, it is in the cost of the dog, it is approx. $300 to buy from DAS, they have a certain time frame to get it done, they follow up but not aware of what happens if this is ignored.

Your statement re: they only allow rescue in when the dog is on death row is not correct, the public get first option on the dogs, rescue always takes what is left, if the pound allowed rescue to take what they wanted that is "dog shopping" not " rescue"

Maree

CPR

The dogs at DAS that are bought by the public get a voucher for desexing, it is in the cost of the dog, it is approx. $300 to buy from DAS, they have a certain time frame to get it done, they follow up but not aware of what happens if this is ignored.

Your statement re: they only allow rescue in when the dog is on death row is not correct, the public get first option on the dogs, rescue always takes what is left, if the pound allowed rescue to take what they wanted that is "dog shopping" not " rescue"

Maree

CPR

Yep, most rescues are glad when dogs get adopted, it means they have room for another dog that is at imminent risk of euthanasia.

DAS allow breed rescue in all the time, but not if the dog has already been adopted.

Also they do not desex dogs before rehoming.

Completely the opposite of my experience with them over breed rescue.

In all honesty can you say that you to have spoken to them with any respect? Treat people how you expect to be treated.

For the last 11 years at least ACT Rescue and Foster carers volunteers have been going into the pound to try and get some assessment of the dogs that are at risk of euthanasia. At no point in the 9 years I have been doing it have rescue ever been the only ones given access to the dogs that are at risk of euthanasia. Domestic Animal Services is an open pound where you can go and see all the dogs that are available to the general public. There are 2 large yards for the dogs to be met etc.

Get your facts right before you slam one of the more accommodating pounds in Australia. In the case of the shepherd he had many people interested in him, he met a lovely couple who put a deposit on him on Saturday so maybe the constant barrage of phone calls they received after that was probably wearing thin.