Raw Diet

paddles

It has been suggested I switch one of my dogs to a "raw" diet, can anyone tell me exactly what this is comprised of? or point me in the direction of a thread that points this out... I just bought some meat, so easy enough there, but from what I read, I should also feed vegetable? how much? what etc? I need to have the food in bite sized portions (large dog) at this point in time.

I searched the threads, and just ended up more confused.

thank you one an all....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok ... can you give a bit more info - it may help in deciding what particular type of meat etc your dog needs ?

Short term, or longterm ?

Young dog, or old?

is it for health reasons ? There are some health problems where red meat is ill advised, or where proportions need to be though about .

does dog have teeth/jaw problems that it needs bite-size food?

Ok! I found "THE" Thread CLICK HERE but if you need anything specific , give us a bit more info , and you may not have to wade thru pages & pages ;)

Edited by persephone

Ok, he's a big dog, I'm working with Steve Courtney to fix a few training issues we have, and he has recommended switching to raw, and using his meals as training treats. thus the usual kibble I feed is inappropriate. I bought for the minute some beef to use. it's more a case of what does comprise the raw diet?

You need bone as well as meat. My suggestion is to stick to a good quality kibble until you have researched a raw diet properly (there are many different types and not all types suit all dogs). You'll also need to find one that suits big dogs. If he is still young it is even more of an ask as you need to ensure that you grow them slow.

:o .... can't say I fancy dipping my hand into a bag full of meat/offal chunks during training ;) Would it be OK with Steve to perhaps use cooked chicken for training - most dogs LOVE cooked chicken :)... have him hungry before training ..then feed him a small meal last thing at night? I have no idea, and am not going against what Steve says ... it's just a thought .

Maybe ask raw feeders- put a post on the training forum ?

Using raw for treats is tricky. Susan Garrett feeds raw and uses cut up bits of chicken necks as rewards in training.

Personally I don't think I could do it, I have a thing about sticking my hands into raw meat all the time :o My raw fed dog gets cheese as treats, same as the others (he is raw fed due to a bloat episode requiring removal of his spleen. My other dogs are fed dry).

I am also using cut up dog rolls as treats - the dogs really like these!

You need bone as well as meat. My suggestion is to stick to a good quality kibble until you have researched a raw diet properly (there are many different types and not all types suit all dogs). You'll also need to find one that suits big dogs. If he is still young it is even more of an ask as you need to ensure that you grow them slow.

If you read the post you would have seen that the OP's trainer who is well regarded has recommended Raw, who are you to suggest kibble?

If you read the post you would have seen that the OP's trainer who is well regarded has recommended Raw, who are you to suggest kibble?

Nothing wrong with sticking with what they are currently feeding while they research, get off your high horse.

Nothing wrong with sticking with what they are currently feeding while they research, get off your high horse.

Ahh, so you also know more about this dog and training than Steve Cortney??? Pfttt, go figure!

Ahh, so you also know more about this dog and training than Steve Cortney??? Pfttt, go figure!

Nah, let's do it your way and swap the dogs food over completely in one day from kibble to beef mince and see how it goes, with an owner who isn't confident with that. Great idea :thumbsup:

Nah, let's do it your way and swap the dogs food over completely in one day from kibble to beef mince and see how it goes, with an owner who isn't confident with that. Great idea :thumbsup:

What a ridiculous statement :laugh: I have suggested no such thing. Get your facts right.

the question, as far as I'm concerned, is what comprises a "raw" diet, not weather "you" agree or disagree. Whilst I HATE sticking my hand in a bag of raw offal/meat, I have already, in 2 training sessions, seen an improvement in his drive. I am uninterested in your opinion of weather you agree with feeding raw, it is my decision. Not wanting to be nasty here, BUT it is not a valid contribution to try to say that you don't agree with feeding raw, or you think I shouldresearch more. I am researching, thus my post here, I am also not going to suddenly totally change my dogs diet. However it is not the first time feeding raw has been bought up, and I have agreed to try it. there is no harm in trying (if you think I am harming my dog, sing out, I'll give you my address and you can ring the rspca...)

I have bought for a trial, a dog roll, to see if that is suitable I have also found (daft me missed it first time) a link to Steve's blog post on what he feeds.

We also had a chat about bringing my dog back from injury.. did you want to weigh in on that without knowing the details?

the question, as far as I'm concerned, is what comprises a "raw" diet, not weather "you" agree or disagree. Whilst I HATE sticking my hand in a bag of raw offal/meat, I have already, in 2 training sessions, seen an improvement in his drive. I am uninterested in your opinion of weather you agree with feeding raw, it is my decision. Not wanting to be nasty here, BUT it is not a valid contribution to try to say that you don't agree with feeding raw, or you think I shouldresearch more. I am researching, thus my post here, I am also not going to suddenly totally change my dogs diet. However it is not the first time feeding raw has been bought up, and I have agreed to try it. there is no harm in trying (if you think I am harming my dog, sing out, I'll give you my address and you can ring the rspca...)

I have bought for a trial, a dog roll, to see if that is suitable I have also found (daft me missed it first time) a link to Steve's blog post on what he feeds.

We also had a chat about bringing my dog back from injury.. did you want to weigh in on that without knowing the details?

Good on you Paddles :thumbsup:

Here is a link that has some good info that you might like to read in addition to the advice from your trainer.

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

Ignore other people, don't do anything until you're comfortable. But definitely give your trainer a ring and ask for some advice or details on what they suggest, as there are different "methods" of raw feeding and you may need to figure out what works best for you and your dog.

You could do minced chicken frames to get a quantity of bone, without feeding actual bone, and even mix up some veggies in there with the mince if you wanted to. I used to train my pup with her BARF dinner until it just got too messy and wasn't practical because of all the blood/wet content, but if you've got a larger dog you could have chopped up bits of meat with veg, or mince, or even chopped up chicken necks etc

You can always get big dog barf patties which is already raw diet done. What you should aim for is 80% meat 10% bone 10% offal 5% of that liver. You could feed big dog barf patties and a raw meaty bone. My dogs are feed the big dog barf patties,raw meaty bones and pet chicken mince. Here were I am is basicly cheaper to buy the already made big dog barf patties then it is to buy everything and make it myself.

if not confident with jumping straight into d.i.y raw feeding, have you thought of products like barf patties or k9 natural (I'm a fan of k9 natural - well not me personally, fan of on behalf of my dogs :p )

whoops - snap :)

Edited by KJJ

As far as training treats go, you could probably try freezing thin strips of beef, chicken or kangaroo etc. You can get small cool bags that you could pop a couple of small ice bricks in so you can carry it around when training. They should work as a nice meaty popsicle :)