Raw Diet

paddles

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it's a kid on a super processed sugary diet, hard to get and keep their attention? Haha.

OP also mentioned coming back from an injury, could be that too.

I find our critters are quieter and happier when on raw diets or even mostly raw.

Perhaps it's a kid on a super processed sugary diet, hard to get and keep their attention? Haha.

OP also mentioned coming back from an injury, could be that too.

I find our critters are quieter and happier when on raw diets or even mostly raw.

:laugh: actually, that was the only thing I could think of too!

I am guessing that the trainer wants to encourage a high drive response and believes that bloody (for lack of a better term) treats will really help motivate the dog to perform the tasks?

but yeah, home made jerky is yum for sure :) and food dehydrators are not too expensive these days.

If Steve recommended a raw diet get him to write out a diet for you. Different proteins have different effects in some dogs, I too recommend diet changes but I write out recipes and products to help clients do a change over and we see if it has the desired effect.

Get onto the www.vetsallnatural.com.au site and start there for raw feeding, it's all balanced and just add meat.

As for training treats raw, I find it horribly messy and hard to handle. Sorry, my poor clients get hotdogs, kabana and cheese :laughL

If Steve recommended a raw diet get him to write out a diet for you. Different proteins have different effects in some dogs, I too recommend diet changes but I write out recipes and products to help clients do a change over and we see if it has the desired effect.

Get onto the www.vetsallnatural.com.au site and start there for raw feeding, it's all balanced and just add meat.

As for training treats raw, I find it horribly messy and hard to handle. Sorry, my poor clients get hotdogs, kabana and cheese :laughL

Cool I'm in , what do you give the dogs though :D

Paddles I feed raw and my elderly westies ( 12 and 14) are thriving. The vet couldn't believe that their yearly blood panels back in June were 'perfect'. (His word not mine). At the risk of being howled down, here's how I do it - and best of all its unprocessed, raw, cheap, human grade, no preservatives, colours, flavours or stuff to mask stink, and very simple and easy to manage. All I do is plan a bit for the supermarket for them just as I would for me.

If you are in Adelaide, try some of the raw mix from Adelaide Dog. Karina there also has great bones ( for sale that is laugh.gif) - lamb necks etc.

To change over do it gradually and Bulk it up with mainly the dry food you are using and add veg. Gradually over a week or so reduce the amount of dry you mix in until they are on raw meat and veg. Add bones or a chicken wing for breakfast a couple ftimes a week. And keep an eye on their poo - if it gets too soft go more slowly.

When you forget to unthaw the meat, open a can of home brand mackerel in oil, mix with veg and watch them scoff it! Or if you're at the supermarket and they are specialing chewy casserole meat (gravy beef, chuck) then treat them with that. I buy soup bones, veg ( carrots, zucchini are favs) on special from the supermarket or use black and gold frozen mixed veg warmed in the microwave. (it also makes a great treat thrown out on the back lawn). Apples and carrots work well for treats too. I keep a small packet of grain free dry on hand for emergencies. Yoghurt, chicken frames (whole), sardines and eggs are also really good for them too.

If you haven't got a place like Adelaide Dog near you then I suggest you find a good source of raw meat and offal, a friendly butcher who might even chop it for you, portion and freeze, deepening on your size of dog. Perse is a great fan of kangaroo tails - not easy to get here but a great idea if available.

Most of all keep it simple and manageable and IMO don't get wound up in the 'high science' and 'clever marketing' of the pet food companies / dog food zealots. Mine are happy, healthy, and love their meals - and the vet is impressed too!

Hope that helps. Would love to hear how you get on. :)

Edited by westiemum

I must remember to get some tinned mackeral or similar ... I forgot to get some of the frozen mince out to thaw this morning and had to buy mince from the corner store on the way home... expensive! Buying in bulk definitely the way to go lol I need a back up plan because I am sooo disorganised.

I have been feeding chicken wings in the mornings with a chicken frame switched in maybe once a week and something like lamb shanks for a treat every now and again. For dinner they get human grade mince mixed with whatever vegetables are starting to look a bit sad in the fridge wizzed up super fine in the ninja blender and combined with the mince with an egg.

I fed the other day and didn't have an egg to mix in... the ate almost everything but the was a ring of left over veges that obviously didn't combine with the meat well enough left around the edge of the bowl lol. The egg really helps combine it all together.

I also found some salmon heads at coles the other day - very exciting! Hunter wasn't too sure on his but Juno took hers off quick smart - and then came back for his!... not sure if she ate them or fertilised my garden for me :p

I have only recently started and haven't quite got to the offal part yet - I know it is important! I icked up some liver the other day, just got to get over my squeamishness.

Really happy with results so far - Juno was very picky on the kibble even though it was avery good quality one. I was always worried she wasn't eating enough. Now she is actually beating Hunter to finish and loving it. They do seem a little less hyper as well! Hunter gets rashes if he has any grain so he is also doing well on it ... I reckon you could give him an old boot and he would do well on that too though haha little piggy.

The tips about the late night/early morning supermarket trips and grabbing things when they're marked down are great too. We got 1kg of chuck steak today for 1.50. Straight in the freezer for Master Gus.

Awesome find at Coles! My local fishmonger looked at me like I was mad, even more so when I said it was for the dogs. Did promise to keep me one though.

haha I sent my BF an excited text ... we had friends over and they all looked at me like I was mad when I got home :p I was surprise to see them at coles... did the classic double take :lofl:

Definitely need to try late night supermarket runs!

Chicken hearts are good too if you can get them and don't like cutting up bits and pieces every night, I'm no expert on the feed side of things but I luuurve not having to chop things up where I can avoid it.

I heard sheep heads are amazing but I just can't get myself there yet. Baby steps ;)

The other day in our little IGA I found a couple packets of chicken feet , only around $2.50 or so !! I was so excited ;) No one else could quite understand ... frozen , the dogs enjoy a crunchy treat :)

Our lot get a lot of raw - rabbit/goat/roo .. but novel things like chicken feet .... beef offcuts ..or turkey necks are always welcomed :)

1378212053[/url]' post='6290426']

I must remember to get some tinned mackeral or similar ... I forgot to get some of the frozen mince out to thaw this morning and had to buy mince from the corner store on the way home... expensive! Buying in bulk definitely the way to go lol I need a back up plan because I am sooo disorganised.

I have been feeding chicken wings in the mornings with a chicken frame switched in maybe once a week and something like lamb shanks for a treat every now and again. For dinner they get human grade mince mixed with whatever vegetables are starting to look a bit sad in the fridge wizzed up super fine in the ninja blender and combined with the mince with an egg.

I fed the other day and didn't have an egg to mix in... the ate almost everything but the was a ring of left over veges that obviously didn't combine with the meat well enough left around the edge of the bowl lol. The egg really helps combine it all together.

I also found some salmon heads at coles the other day - very exciting! Hunter wasn't too sure on his but Juno took hers off quick smart - and then came back for his!... not sure if she ate them or fertilised my garden for me :p

I have only recently started and haven't quite got to the offal part yet - I know it is important! I icked up some liver the other day, just got to get over my squeamishness.

Really happy with results so far - Juno was very picky on the kibble even though it was avery good quality one. I was always worried she wasn't eating enough. Now she is actually beating Hunter to finish and loving it. They do seem a little less hyper as well! Hunter gets rashes if he has any grain so he is also doing well on it ... I reckon you could give him an old boot and he would do well on that too though haha little piggy.

You're doing really well L. The photos of your dogs in the other thread are superb - their coats are so shiny. Yep the mackerel is cheap healthy and handy to keep in the cupboard - with veg one can does three westies. And yes my westies are little piggies too! But I find it much easier to keep them at a good weight on raw. And lucky you finding salmon heads - and if Juno is anything like Sarah she'll bury hers for later eek1.gif and eat everyone else's - then retrieve hers later - preferably for eating inside - the mankier the better! laugh.gif

Edited by westiemum

The other day in our little IGA I found a couple packets of chicken feet , only around $2.50 or so !! I was so excited ;) No one else could quite understand ... frozen , the dogs enjoy a crunchy treat :)

Our lot get a lot of raw - rabbit/goat/roo .. but novel things like chicken feet .... beef offcuts ..or turkey necks are always welcomed :)

I'd love goat but the supermarket near us has it next to the quail and rabbit and both are in the high double figures per kilo. Not that lucky, dog ;)

I would love rabbit, but Masterchef has a lot to answer for to Gus. Haha. He's not getting a 20 dollar rabbit.

1378212798[/url]' post='6290443']

The tips about the late night/early morning supermarket trips and grabbing things when they're marked down are great too. We got 1kg of chuck steak today for 1.50. Straight in the freezer for Master Gus.

Awesome find at Coles! My local fishmonger looked at me like I was mad, even more so when I said it was for the dogs. Did promise to keep me one though.

1.50! Boy I've never done that well! Well done! laugh.gif Yep it is funny when I'm buying their veg and the checkout person looks at the quantity ( I buy 4-6 kgs at a time) and packs up laughing when I say its for the dogs. Although some are very interested so they get the westiemum 'raw / rescue' one minute blurb! I've got that down to a fine art - and in talking about food: I make sure I throw in 'expensive dog food' and 'much cheaper to feed human grade food' - conquer the world one check-out person at a time! rofl1.gif

Edited by westiemum