Raw Diet

paddles

The other day in our little IGA I found a couple packets of chicken feet , only around $2.50 or so !! I was so excited ;) No one else could quite understand ... frozen , the dogs enjoy a crunchy treat :)

Our lot get a lot of raw - rabbit/goat/roo .. but novel things like chicken feet .... beef offcuts ..or turkey necks are always welcomed :)

I'd love goat but the supermarket near us has it next to the quail and rabbit and both are in the high double figures per kilo. Not that lucky, dog ;)

I would love rabbit, but Masterchef has a lot to answer for to Gus. Haha. He's not getting a 20 dollar rabbit.

;) the advantages of living in the bush .... it's all fresh .

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1378213372[/url]' post='6290451']

Chicken hearts are good too if you can get them and don't like cutting up bits and pieces every night, I'm no expert on the feed side of things but I luuurve not having to chop things up where I can avoid it.

I heard sheep heads are amazing but I just can't get myself there yet. Baby steps ;)

Yep forgot chicken hearts - cheap and make a great meal - buy in bulk when reduced and throw in the freezer. But sheep heads... eek1.gif - not sure I could come at that... Perse where are you? This is your territory! biggrin.gif

Edited by westiemum

1.50! Boy I've never done that well! Well done! Yep it is funny when I'm buying their veg and the checkout person looks at the quantity ( I buy 4-6 kgs at a time) and packs up laughing when I say its for the dogs. Although some ar very interested so thy get the westiemum 'raw / rescue' one minute blurb! I've got that down to a fine art - and in talking about food: I make sure I throw in 'expensive dog food' and 'much cheaper to feed human grade food' - conquer the world one check-out person at a time!

My spiel is pointing out that the cheapest dry food at the shops (excluding the real basic homebrand, I won't even pretend that's a legitimate food!) is a few dollars a kilo, requires a huge intake and comes right out the other end. I'm paying less, scooping less and feeding less. How can you not win?!

Between us both, we'll get there! Haha.

;) the advantages of living in the bush .... it's all fresh .

Boy am I jealous. You must just about fall over laughing at 20 dollar rabbit. I do, I see hundreds of the fur-jerks hopping around under the westgate bridge every day!

Yep forgot chicken hearts - cheap and make a great meal - buy in bulk when reduced and throw in the freezer. But sheep heads... eek1.gif - not sure I could come at that... Perse where are you? This is your territory!

One woman I know was very proud all her dogs left were the teeth. Ick, but I could totally deal if Gus promises that will be the case. I don't fancy waking up and rolling over to that in the dog bed next to ours. :eek:

hah yeah i learnt quite quickly to shut the sliding door BEFORE giving them whatever "delicious" treat they were getting that day :p Juno is the expert in hiding her treats... Hunter is twice as big as her but he just looks at me with sad eyes while she sneaks a chicken wing out from under his nose :bolt: lol.

Chicken hearts is a good tip... I'll keep an eye out at the butchers next time :)

Thanks Westimum ... you should have seen the spreadsheet I did up trying to work out percentages, and weights all all the variuos things to make it a well rounded diet. I think it's been said a few times that once you start actually DOING it, it falls into place and seems a lot simpler!

It's funny because the dog's diet is a hell of a lot better than mine!

Poor Hunter!!! ( mind you he doesn't look like he's starving either ! laugh.gif Forgive my laughter L rofl1.gif - but I admire your spreadsheet rofl1.gif Hmn... Lets just say mine get meat, fish, bones offal, veg, eggs yoghurt and whatever is on special. I don't get too hung up about it or I'd drive myself crazy!

Anyway Mac's asleep in the crook of my arm - so it's bedtime here. ' Night all. Talk tomorrow. smile.gif

Westiemum, I also add fruit sometimes. Boof particular likes apple and pears.

I have to cook his mince because it upsets his stomach raw so I throw the veges and fruit in with it. I cook it in a little water ad the broth is then his breakfast drink each morning for both he and Olivia. I warm it up in Winter.

Poor Hunter!!! ( mind you he doesn't look like he's starving either ! laugh.gif Forgive my laughter L rofl1.gif - but I admire your spreadsheet rofl1.gif Hmn... Lets just say mine get meat, fish, bones offal, veg, eggs yoghurt and whatever is on special. I don't get too hung up about it or I'd drive myself crazy!

Anyway Mac's asleep in the crook of my arm - so it's bedtime here. ' Night all. Talk tomorrow. smile.gif

Haha yeah I look at some of his photos and think "I hope people don't think that his ribs are sticking out" ... it's actually little rolls of fat ... ahem, loose skin :o He's slimmed down quite a bit since he worked out how to play fetch. At the vets this morning he had actually lost a little weight from the last visit a couple of weeks ago :thumbsup:

Westiemum, I also add fruit sometimes. Boof particular likes apple and pears.

I have to cook his mince because it upsets his stomach raw so I throw the veges and fruit in with it. I cook it in a little water ad the broth is then his breakfast drink each morning for both he and Olivia. I warm it up in Winter.

I ha some bananas go brown in the fridge the other day - they looooved those. Juno likes apple and will eat it "whole" ... Hunter will only eat it once it is smooshed up with all his other veges and mince.

One woman I know was very proud all her dogs left were the teeth.

Mine do this with pigs heads - few little teeth and a jaw bone is all that's left, they especially like the eye :laugh: :laugh: :vomit:

ick ... i think maybe a no go on the sheeps head for me lol

i haven't started with the offal yet but everything I feed is human grade so I should hope this rules out the possibility of worms? I also freeze most of the meat that I use which I believe can kill any nasties. I think it has to be frozen for a significant amount of time to do any good though. I use advocate monthly which covers fleas and worms ... I think there is one type of worm it doesn't work one, probably the tapeworm knowing my luck :laugh: will have to double check.

I'm looking in to raw feeding at the moment.

Question for the raw feeders - if you're feeding organ meat do you worm every 6 weeks to cover hydatid tapeworms?

Freezing for 10 days prior to feeding solves this problem.

Human-grade food is NOT exempt from hydatids so better safe that sorry!

ETA: Lasareina all-in-ones don't cover hydatids and honestly, I'd be having a close look at them, they're serious overkill for the vast majority of dogs and really not required.

Edited by Sandra777

I will definitely look into the worming thing then Sandra - what do you do in terms of flea / worm treatment?

Paddles we just do the veges on the night and add it to the meat which we had already weighed and bagged. This way, anything I want to get rid of in the fridge before it goes bad can be added. we also only have a small freezer so this saves space. It only takes me a couple of minutes to chop into smallish chucks and stick it in the ninja food processor and whizz lol

today I picked up some chuck steak, some chicken livers, and some soup bones, Parceled it all out... now to work out quantities (I'm also going to add a little raw vege...

Don't forget that the meat stuffs should be frozen for at least a couple of days before feeding. You should be okay with butcher bought stuff for a once off, but best to freeze all before hand. Fish generally needs around two weeks. At the risk of some people jumping up and down, with the vegies it is good to steam, mash or puree them so the dog has the best chance in extracting the maximum nutrients.

Be careful with large weight bearing bones as there is always the potential to crack or chip teeth.

Good luck and keep us posted :thumbsup:

The other day in our little IGA I found a couple packets of chicken feet , only around $2.50 or so !! I was so excited ;) No one else could quite understand ... frozen , the dogs enjoy a crunchy treat :)

Our lot get a lot of raw - rabbit/goat/roo .. but novel things like chicken feet .... beef offcuts ..or turkey necks are always welcomed :)

Lol. My two get a frozen chicken foot as a snack around midday and they remind me if I'm a little late. I buy them from my chicken shop by the kilo. I also feed everything raw.

Don't forget that the meat stuffs should be frozen for at least a couple of days before feeding. You should be okay with butcher bought stuff for a once off, but best to freeze all before hand. Fish generally needs around two weeks.

Would people really say it's imperative to freeze food? I tend to freeze when buying in bulk, but if I see a bag of fabulous looking beef hearts or the like marked down at Coles, that will likely be dinner for Gus. Is there any benefit other than the parasite killing that I'm missing?