What's The Most Frustrating Statement Someone Has Made To You Late

kelpiecuddles

Today some lady seemed shocked Nova didn't have a tail.

Me:"Yes dogs of his breed can be born like that".

Her: "No they aren't, my sister breeds those dogs".

Me still being polite and immediately thinking her sister probably breeds Borders or Koolies: "He's an Australian Shepherd, they can be born with all different lengths"

Her: "Stop lying, she breeds those dogs, and you cut yours off".

I just told her to get her facts right and walked off.

Lol, I've had so many people ask me why my dog's tail was docked, or when I walk past I hear them talking to their friends, look at that dog, its tail has been cut off... No she was born like that!!! Also apparently she is a cattle dog x because she has a blue eye and its true because there's no such thing as an Australian Shepherd.

Yeah, apparently I docked Sid and 'he was born without it' is just a line I trot out to keep myself out of trouble.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About Brandi while on a therapy visit to an elder hostel: 'Does it bite?'

Um yes. I bring a dog who is human aggressive or unreliable into an environment with elderly and very vulnerable people in order to let them have some positive interaction with an animal. Seriously????

....And I get told all the time that my Golden Retriever is skinny and I should feed her more!!!! Just because majority of GRs are overweight!

Oh me too! It drives me batty.

But then one person said to me "it's so hard to keep their weight down isn't it? They eat so much".

Huh? She gets a set amount of food a day and that's it. Plus we exercise her regularly. Pretty easy I'd think. :confused:

Is that a Schnauzer ?

I said no they are Airedales . Oh they are crossed with a poodle right ? Um NO!! Lol

If it makes you feel any better, my schnauzers are often misidentified too - the black & silver one is always a scottie, or "that dog from the chum ad" ....I've had people ask me what breeds are crossed to make a schnauzer because they like them better than the other poodle crosses - people think I'm being precious when I'm quite definate that schnauzers are a breed...!!

Thankfully we also get a reasonable amount of people asking for a pat, because they used to have schnauzers, or their friends/family//etc did :)

....And I get told all the time that my Golden Retriever is skinny and I should feed her more!!!! Just because majority of GRs are overweight!

Oh me too! It drives me batty.

But then one person said to me "it's so hard to keep their weight down isn't it? They eat so much".

Huh? She gets a set amount of food a day and that's it. Plus we exercise her regularly. Pretty easy I'd think. :confused:

They eat what we feed them. My goldy would eat all day if I let her.

Another one....

At the dog park, a woman looking at my Elkhound:

Woman: Is that a husky?

Me: No he is an elkhound

Woman: So is it a husky crossed with a German Shepherd?

Me: No, he's a pure breed elkhound

Woman: He's obviously a husky cross! You probably were duped when you bought him!!!

I get a little sad sometimes with some of the comments.

The other day I was walking Foxy in town and she'd stopped at a nature strip and been sniffing around for a while when an elderly lady who was walking past stopped and said "Does your dog do what you say?"

I'd just told Foxy to do a wee and she'd done one, so I said "Sometimes", thinking the lady might think I'm wierd for telling the dog to wee.. I like to train them so I can toilet them before we go places where it is not appropriate for them to go, like the main street...

Anyway, so the lady goes on: "Because I have a GSP at home who is totally fluff brained, she doesn't do anything I say! I can't take her anywhere!"

I was kind of devastated because they are such a trainable breed, I felt awful for that dog and I have to admit to being tiny bit judgemental, thinking the lady may have trouble holding the dog, being older, and that the dog probably doesn't get much exercise, which wouldn't be helping the issue :(

Walking my Shihtzu the other day, a woman said "Is that a Maltese" I said "No it's a Shihtzu", she looks at me like I swore at her "a what" she says. "It's a Chinese breed, the name means Lion Dog". "Whatever, it's a Maltese I think, someone is having a lend of you".

I was waiting for her to ask me what had happened to its face.

I like that theory but since mine have figured out how to open the pantry (there's now a hook out of reach of questing noses) and open a sealed box of dog biscuits with no noise at all, mine have started to implement free feeding themselves. :eek:

The more people that try to convince me that my own dog is a koolie x german shepherd the more I want to hit them in the face with a dog encyclopaedia.

:laugh:

I don't know. I'm quite enjoying no one knowing what Willow is.

Random Person A : "Um...Err...Is that a Rottie?" With that upswing of uncertainty in the last word.

Or

Random Person B: "Oh, isn't she adorable. What breed is she?"

I'm just gobsmacked at how short term memory people are. Only a few years ago everyone would have just assumed she was a Rottweiler, because she's big and black and tan.

Do they seem shocked when you tell them she is a Rottie? I know people that still expect to see Rotties docked so perhaps that confuses them a bit?

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of those little pocket encyclopaedias just so next time people don't believe me I can go LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!!

I don't understand the people that have crosses, like the guy I met with the 'puggle' who tried to convince me that his dog is a real breed but mine is a cross?? He also tried to use his 'puggle' as a wing man, oops lol.

Edited by LisaCC

Understandable, more than frustrating. I get asked about the Tibbie girls, 'Are they Pekinese?' When I tell them 'Tibetan Spaniels' & point out basic difference, they're usually quite interested. Most have never heard of the breed.

Jokingly, because the girls have lovely blonde fur, a woman will sometimes ask 'Who's their hair colourist?'

And sometimes people will say about Nina Zena the tibbie...'She looks like a shrunken golden retriever!'. She does, actually. :)

Understandable, more than frustrating. I get asked about the Tibbie girls, 'Are they Pekinese?' When I tell them 'Tibetan Spaniels' & point out basic difference, they're usually quite interested. Most have never heard of the breed.

Jokingly, because the girls have lovely blonde fur, a woman will sometimes ask 'Who's their hair colourist?'

And sometimes people will say about Nina Zena the tibbie...'She looks like a shrunken golden retriever!'. She does, actually. :)

Just took my dog for a walk and talked to a lady with a puppy she said it was a Tibetan Spaniel, lovely looking dog, it was mostly black and some white. It was only a puppy and bouncing around. :)

I wouldn't say it looked like a Pekinese, perhaps a bit in the body but not in the face.

Edited by Alison03

I used to get that with my clear red Borzoi, lots of women saying they would kill for hair that colour, lol

Just took my dog for a walk and talked to a lady with a puppy she said it was a Tibetan Spaniel, lovely looking dog, it was mostly black and some white. It was only a puppy and bouncing around. :)

I wouldn't say it looked like a Pekinese, perhaps a bit in the body but not in the face.

You're right, Alison. The Tibbie face is less snubbed than a Peke's, doesn't have folds in the muzzle, & the eyes are almond shaped not distinctly round like a Pekes. Top of the head shape is different, too.

Most people aren't really familiar with Pekes, either.... which is why it's so easy for them to think a Tibbie is a Peke.

I used to get that with my clear red Borzoi, lots of women saying they would kill for hair that colour, lol

:)

Nature (& select breeding) can sure beat the hair colourists!

Took puppy Sumo to my local vet recently who I've never used before, but my regular vet is out of the country. I guess they don't see many Saints as all the staff were besotted and couldn't get over his size. He's 46kg at 6 months old and the VET (!!!!!) told me "He will probably be close to 50kg once he finishes growing" oh and by the way apparently he'll finish growing at 9 months and finish filling out by 12 months. I stood there with my mouth open in shock and told her we expected him to be 85kg + at maturity, at 4-5 years old. She couldn't believe it! I felt like I was teaching her!

Also, as we were leaving she told Sumo he'd have to injure himself more often so they could see him again!!! :eek: That didn't sit right with me at all.

When we went to puppy school with Jager (all those years ago) there was a pug x in the class and the owner introduced himself and said that our two could be brothers. They looked nothing alike and I just smiled and said his name is Jager blah blah and he asked if he was a "puggle" i said no just pug to which he replied with "yeah but what else does he have in him, no one buys a pug, they cant breathe, they are fat and lazy you have to cross them so they dont get all the bad genes".

Meanwhile his pug x was snorting and sounded like he was struggling to breathe and Jager just walked around breathing fine.

I also get told that i am starving my pug cause he isnt built like a tank. I like to keep him so that he has a waist and that i can still feel his ribs but not see them. Apparently all pugs should be hugely overweight...

But on the flip side of that, i have been praised by many people, including strangers i meet on the street, that its nice to see a pug that isnt obese and doesnt sound like its suffocating.

You're right, Alison. The Tibbie face is less snubbed than a Peke's, doesn't have folds in the muzzle, & the eyes are almond shaped not distinctly round like a Pekes. Top of the head shape is different, too.

Most people aren't really familiar with Pekes, either.... which is why it's so easy for them to think a Tibbie is a Peke.

It's strange how people get so insistent, they decide what breed your dog is and won't give up. I clip my dog because she gets hot easily, so she doesn't look like a classic Shihtzu with a long coat, so I get "She can't be a Shihtzu she is short haired". I tell them I could stuff cushions for a living with all the hair I clip off her. I don't try to guess a breed, if I don't know I ask, like I did this morning.

Here's another one I get "Aren't Shihtzu's black and white". I just say "This one isn't".