What's The Most Frustrating Statement Someone Has Made To You Late

kelpiecuddles

Just took my dog for a walk and talked to a lady with a puppy she said it was a Tibetan Spaniel, lovely looking dog, it was mostly black and some white. It was only a puppy and bouncing around. :)

I wouldn't say it looked like a Pekinese, perhaps a bit in the body but not in the face.

You're right, Alison. The Tibbie face is less snubbed than a Peke's, doesn't have folds in the muzzle, & the eyes are almond shaped not distinctly round like a Pekes. Top of the head shape is different, too.

Most people aren't really familiar with Pekes, either.... which is why it's so easy for them to think a Tibbie is a Peke.

It's strange how people get so insistent, they decide what breed your dog is and won't give up. I clip my dog because she gets hot easily, so she doesn't look like a classic Shihtzu with a long coat, so I get "She can't be a Shihtzu she is short haired". I tell them I could stuff cushions for a living with all the hair I clip off her. I don't try to guess a breed, if I don't know I ask, like I did this morning.

Here's another one I get "Aren't Shihtzu's black and white". I just say "This one isn't".

I've had people tell me my pugs are crossed with something as pugs aren't black :laugh:

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just took my dog for a walk and talked to a lady with a puppy she said it was a Tibetan Spaniel, lovely looking dog, it was mostly black and some white. It was only a puppy and bouncing around. :)

I wouldn't say it looked like a Pekinese, perhaps a bit in the body but not in the face.

You're right, Alison. The Tibbie face is less snubbed than a Peke's, doesn't have folds in the muzzle, & the eyes are almond shaped not distinctly round like a Pekes. Top of the head shape is different, too.

Most people aren't really familiar with Pekes, either.... which is why it's so easy for them to think a Tibbie is a Peke.

It's strange how people get so insistent, they decide what breed your dog is and won't give up. I clip my dog because she gets hot easily, so she doesn't look like a classic Shihtzu with a long coat, so I get "She can't be a Shihtzu she is short haired". I tell them I could stuff cushions for a living with all the hair I clip off her. I don't try to guess a breed, if I don't know I ask, like I did this morning.

Here's another one I get "Aren't Shihtzu's black and white". I just say "This one isn't".

I've had people tell me my pugs are crossed with something as pugs aren't black :laugh:

I get that as well 'is the black one a pug too?'

Standard response to telling people that no, Sally is not a koolie/aussie shepherd but a border collie- "are you sure?" lol- well yes my papers say that!

people often have a go at bert's weight when they have no idea of his medical history (allergies that almost killed him, being on such strong cortisone whilst we sorted out a vacccine that he blew up like a balloon. sometimes a slighty overweight dog does not = bad owner. people shouldnt make assumptions.

Do they seem shocked when you tell them she is a Rottie? I know people that still expect to see Rotties docked so perhaps that confuses them a bit?

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of those little pocket encyclopaedias just so next time people don't believe me I can go LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!!

I don't understand the people that have crosses, like the guy I met with the 'puggle' who tried to convince me that his dog is a real breed but mine is a cross?? He also tried to use his 'puggle' as a wing man, oops lol.

No not shocked, perhaps a little disappointed...I wonder if she is too friendly for their percieved notion of what a Rottweiler should be like. Willow LOVES people and LOVES LOVES cuddles from anyone willing to give them. She is not shy of people at all.

I have been asked by someone, "Why would you want to get one of those?" Said in a very toff and sneery voice. I smile and say because they are the best dogs. Great with people, great with kids, fantastic family dogs. She's easy to train and I just love her to bits. (with a 'so NER' in my mind)

My boss is a real cat person, he does like dogs, but he much prefers cats. I've overheard him telling clients what a brilliant dog she is. :D (I've also caught him talking silly nonsense to her when she's been out the back at work too. :rofl:)

Urgh, met the biggest bogan today. A friend and I took our dogs for a walk, then stopped at a cafe for an iced coffee. Some bogan lady was walking around the square with her spawn and way too young off leash puppy.

We were very proud that both dogs were calmly laying under us while we talked/drank, and her puppy started walking up to us, I politely called out and asked her to please call her dog away. "Why would I do that? She's not going to bite". She didn't even get up, she's about 20m away

I said "Please, we would prefer our dogs not to play under us while we are eating", I'm already getting annoyed that I have to say this, and everyone else outside at the cafe is now looking at this play out.

She comes up grab her pup, and mutters something as she walks away to back where she was.

As we were leaving we hear her say "Bitches, you aren't even allowed dogs at a cafe".

Urgh, the cafe owners offered us water for our dogs!!! Pretty sure it's illegal to let your dog wander around off leash.

Edited by LisaCC

Urgh, met the biggest bogan today. A friend and I took our dogs for a walk, then stopped at a cafe for an iced coffee. Some bogan lady was walking around the square with her spawn and way too young off leash puppy.

We were very proud that both dogs were calmly laying under us while we talked/drank, and her puppy started walking up to us, I politely called out and asked her to please call her dog away. "Why would I do that? She's not going to bite". She didn't even get up, she's about 20m away

I said "Please, we would prefer our dogs not to play under us while we are eating", I'm already getting annoyed that I have to say this, and everyone else outside at the cafe is now looking at this play out.

She comes up grab her pup, and mutters something as she walks away to back where she was.

As we were leaving we hear her say "Bitches, you aren't even allowed dogs at a cafe".

Urgh, the cafe owners offered us water for our dogs!!! Pretty sure it's illegal to let your dog wander around off leash.

If your dogs had got worked up she would have had a go at you for that too, I'm sure some people just go out so they can find someone to pick on.

The cafe I go to brings a bowl of water out for me and my friends dogs, but the owner does say to any person with an off leash dog to please leash your dog for the comfort of other diners. I think that's fair enough, sometimes they don't like it but its the cafe owners decision. I have hauled my dog up on my lap to get away from passing dogs who get under the table, you can't do that with a big dog though. Well you could but it would be uncomfortable.

Edited by Alison03

I am constantly being asked if my cocker is crossed with a poodle. She is just cocker, nothing else but I am a bad owner and dont brush her a much as I should so he fur is a bit wavey. Its not even curly just slightly wavey!!!

My fil likes to tell me that my beagle X is a mongrel because I got her from rescue but his groodle is pure because he came from a pet shop. Mate they are both mongrel's

This one must have been mentioned already - 'golden Labrador'. I used to automatically correct with 'yellow'. But have just given up and grit my teeth and smile sweetly.

Many people have asked me what breed my black GSD pup is. After I say a GSD, most have said, 'they don't come in black'. I explain that they do and also other colours apart from the regular black and tan. At least I haven't got from anyone that he must be a cross, as I was told many times with my sable GSD.

Edited by pepe001

That's one advantage of having greyhounds, they don't get confused with other breeds.

???? Mine have been confused with: whippets, Great Danes, Dobes, deer, staffies and tigers.

I am intrigued now by what breeds your dogs are :laugh:

I've never really had an annoying statement, must be nice people in cairns...rusty is always guessed as a BC (looks exactly like grandmothers best friends daughter who had one) or a kelpie X, and Biscuit is guessed as a pom X, or, before they see his tail, a German shepherd puppy :laugh: but people are always so curious and willing to learn about the breeds they actually are, it's great :thumbsup:

rusty&biscuit, they're just greyhounds. Those comments all came about my two girls who are small and black and larger and red brindle. The deer I think come from the shape from a distance I think. The tiger is just from the stripes on my brindle. The really weird guess has been the staffy, from a boy old enough to know better who said it very confidently because 'we have one at home who looks just like that."

Oh some people are so stupid!

Some people get Tyrion's breed straight away or they ask what he is.

I often get the response of "I've never seen a corgi with a tail before."

By far the stupidest comment I've had regarding Tyrion is

"Is that a Husky cross?"

"No. He's a purebred pembroke corgi."

"REALLY!?! Wow. He looks like a husky."

Um no he doesn't crazy lady. :S

We had a good one at work yesterday, no dogs present though!

Woman who's son is volunteering at the RSPCA- "I'm against it though, I don't want him to get all those dog diseases. He could get the flu or parvo!"

Then 'He wants a dog but I can't stand them, I said he could have a guinea pig cause they don't get sick or get fleas or mites"

Uhhhh... Sure.

I've been told Samoyeds are actually part bear :rofl:

But since getting the Havanese my patience has been tested somewhat. Having a small, long coated coloured dog is asking for stupid comments about DDs. For the most part though people are really good about it and what to learn about the breed.

Although my favourite has to have been:

"What is he?"

"Havanese."

Looks at me like I'm a bit thick ......."Half of what?"

"No Havanese, you know like Havana, the capital of Cuba?"

:rofl:

What really worries me though are the number of people who need help working out their geography. :eek:

I've had full on arguments when people ask what breed bear is.

Me: 'she's a *deep breath* Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever'.

Nutcase: A what?

Me: Toller, we call them Tollers

Nutcase: bahahaha you must be stupid, there is no such thing

Me: they are a real breed I assure you, you just don't see many of them

Nutcase: you have been scammed. I know dogs, that's a border collie

Me: she isn't, she's a toller

Nutcase: listen, I knowEVERYTHING about dogs and there is no such dog as a grover scott duck tigger

Me: you are absolutely right, there is no such dog as a Grover Scott duck tigger, have a great day **runs for it**