What's The Most Frustrating Statement Someone Has Made To You Late

kelpiecuddles

He: "You should add breeding to your business because there is BIG money in it these days!"Me: "I don't believe in breeding for money, there is a lot more to it than that. It's quite involved and expensive and you don't actually make much money if you do it properly with all the health testing etc"He: screws up his face, "what? You just put a male and female together and it makes puppies, what is so hard about that?"

banghead.gif

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Edited because I am a complete numpty who can't read.

Learn to read, me, you're an ADULT now. Or apparently you are. It's hard to tell sometimes.

But yes I will say it particularly frustrates me when people don't even ask what my boys are, just say to their husband/friend/children; "Oh, look, Chihuahuas!"

Edited by Fevah

Fevah, you know apocalypsepwnie was agreeing with you right? Just checking as it's unclear from your response...

I know where you're coming from, most people don't know what Aussie Shepherds are either, they're usually assumed to be a cross breed, I hear "oh she's very pretty, what's she crossed with?" all the time! And many people just think the Sheltie is a Collie puppy... Or occasionally a very small Lassie dog :laugh:

Same thing that always annoys me - that apparently I own Chihuahuas...I'm sorry they are clearly Miniature Pinschers.Also, every dog owner thread I find on the Internet is filled with these pompous know-it-alls who just want to argue about how they're right about everything. I don't even get acknowledged anymore, because forum regulars are too busy fighting with each other. Should of just stayed on dol :p

Uh, if they are the dogs in your signature even I can tell they aren't chis...

-.-

Really?

Chihuahua

Chihuahuasmoothcoat.jpg

My Remy

745060b0-26ea-4c78-bb72-e774a3c9c683_zps9be76ef0.jpg

That's like saying Labradors and Golden Retrievers look alike.

Anyway the point is that they never ask...they are just like "Oh, look, Chihuahuas!"

I correct people all the time with the goldie lab thing as mine don't have really long groomed coats , it's endless but thats gonna happen shrug.gif At leased they are gettin mistaken by another recognized breed i suppose.

While clearly yours is a well bred dog, you can see how the Backyard bred chihuahuas have a very very different look, meaning not only from pedigrees but every back yard bred litter looks different so any short haired fine built really small dog is gonna be a Chihuahua is most peoples eyes.

Like the Portuguese water dog, is a oodle. frown.gif This would be more frustrating getting mistaken for supporting the designer industry when in reality it's a fair bit rarer then most breeds and a beautiful dog.

Like the Portuguese water dog, is a oodle. frown.gif This would be more frustrating getting mistaken for supporting the designer industry when in reality it's a fair bit rarer then most breeds and a beautiful dog.

You make a very valid point. It is still frustrating, however, only because it shows how obviously uneducated most of society is. I wouldn't consider myself an expert on dog breeds, so if I'm ever in any doubt I politely ask the owner 'what breed is he/she?' rather than crowing out my probably mistaken assumption.

Actually, these comments I come across quite regularly have paled in comparison to what I'm experiencing on another forum I frequent at the moment...

"I don't think ANY Pitbull is bad. Even aggressive dogs aren't bad, it's the people who made them that way. Whether it was their breeder or their owner and it isn't the dog or the breed who should be blamed, it's the humans."

"Genetics don't always determine aggression, and breed has little to do with the aggression a dog has. Dogs start out with certain characteristics, but in the end, if you do what is right, the dog will be fine."

-.-

You should hear some of the wacko ones I get with Gus the Flat Coated Retriever!

Black Long Haired Lab, black coated retriever, Straight Curly Coated ret, black golden ret, cross between a lab and a goldy, solid black border collie, once someone even asked if he was a staffy!

I have a pretty well-rehearsed spiel now. The tone doesn't even vary when people asked. I don't mind people asking though, happy to spruik the benefits of a flattie little spoon to the general public.

Plus it gives him an opportunity to meet people he might not normally and vice versa.

He has a lotta love to give....

Most frustrating statement last night, from DH: "No. I really don't think its a good time to get a puppy. In the future, yes. Now, no."

:cry:

I should probably have just brought one home and presented him with a fait accompli, but at least I've got a commitment for the future. And will have to get my dog showing fix with other people's hounds.

You should hear some of the wacko ones I get with Gus the Flat Coated Retriever!

Black Long Haired Lab, black coated retriever, Straight Curly Coated ret, black golden ret, cross between a lab and a goldy, solid black border collie, once someone even asked if he was a staffy!

I have a pretty well-rehearsed spiel now. The tone doesn't even vary when people asked. I don't mind people asking though, happy to spruik the benefits of a flattie little spoon to the general public.

Plus it gives him an opportunity to meet people he might not normally and vice versa.

Sorry but... :confused: :laugh:

None of this surprises me in the least, I see how often people with less common breeds must get it when I go walking and say hello to them on the street, usually they automatically assume that because I'm one of the few people who've ever actually recognised their dog breed I must own one LOL.

Me: Oh gosh, what a gorgeous Brittany/toller/insert other breed.

Them: Oh you know the breed, you must have one then?

Me: Nope, just know my dog breeds pretty well. LOL

Just goes to show how often they must have to explain what their dog is :p That said I've had to argue the point that my dog is a basset not a beagle and have had plenty of people call her a dachshund/sausage/what's that?

None of this surprises me in the least, I see how often people with less common breeds must get it when I go walking and say hello to them on the street, usually they automatically assume that because I'm one of the few people who've ever actually recognised their dog breed I must own one LOL.

Just goes to show how often they must have to explain what their dog is :p That said I've had to argue the point that my dog is a basset not a beagle and have had plenty of people call her a dachshund/sausage/what's that?

I've had a similar thing when one of my pugs was playing with an Aussie shep pup in the park, and when the owner came over I said "she's a gorgeous Aussie, what's her name?" and she started to say "no she's an Aus..." and then stopped, realising what I said, and was embarrassed because she was so used to explaining that she wasn't a random cross of whatever that it was automatic, and she was surprised that I knew.

But there are actually several Aussie's at my dog park now anyway so it's not as much of an issue for them :laugh:

I've had a similar thing when one of my pugs was playing with an Aussie shep pup in the park, and when the owner came over I said "she's a gorgeous Aussie, what's her name?" and she started to say "no she's an Aus..." and then stopped, realising what I said, and was embarrassed because she was so used to explaining that she wasn't a random cross of whatever that it was automatic, and she was surprised that I knew.

But there are actually several Aussie's at my dog park now anyway so it's not as much of an issue for them :laugh:

Reminds me of an evening here in Adelaide when I was with my girlfriend & her kids walking down to the beach at Semaphore.........the kids know I "know" dog breeds, so when they saw a dog they would test me.........border collie, german shepherd, etc then we all saw one breed & I replied very quickly "oh thats a Nova Scoatia Duck Tolling Retriever....of course the kids thought I was making it up till the owner replied very surprised....."no she is right" biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

My good friend is not a native speaker of English;

has two degrees and is quite intelligent.

He rang a breeder (an old lady) to enquire about labrador puppies

Her response was quite patronising: "...but you do realise they won't stay small forever... that they will be big?" She assumed that he must be stupid as he has an accent.

My good friend is not a native speaker of English;

has two degrees and is quite intelligent.

He rang a breeder (an old lady) to enquire about labrador puppies

Her response was quite patronising: "...but you do realise they won't stay small forever... that they will be big?" She assumed that he must be stupid as he has an accent.

Tell you friend to keep trying find a breeder who he can respect. I personally know of a lovely lab breeder in queensland so there are nice people out there, if you find one who is nice and you like their stock but they don't have any in the foreseeable ask them who they recommend more often then not, nice people know nice people. I've put a few on to my mentor who will have a litter sometime this year, very close stock to mine but I won't have any pups for over a year, some have requested to wait which in humbling but others have appreciated the help.

The lady walking her little dog in Riverwood a while back was very impressed as I casually mentioned that her dog was a lovely little Tentie as I was giving it a cuddle (after asking permission of course)...

The Lagotto that was waiting for it's owner's other half to arrive at the train station was one that made me think a bit harder before picking it's breed... *grin*... purely because we do have a population of "oodle" crosses here, and not many purebreeds at all...

T.

Nothing wacko about confusion between flattie and golden. Quoting Wikipedia "Golden Retrievers were first accepted for registration by The Kennel Club of England in 1903, as Flat Coats – Golden" . . . it wasn't till a couple decades later that the two breeds really got separated.

I must confess I thought that a Vallhund was a grey corgi the other day. I'm not real flash when it comes to breeds. Thankfully I didn't make some dumb comment.

After politely asking the person to wait until my puppy was sitting before patting and to move away if he broke it - "Oh I know I shouldn't let you do this but it won't hurt" and proceeds to do everything opposite to what I asked and lets him start jumping all over her :( It won't hurt her, but it sure hurts our training and just makes it harder for me in the long run :cry:

At the lake yesterday and came across a great dane and a husky.

Great dane has a collar friendly/do not feed which I don't understand why he has friendly on it. He's clearly a well behaved dog with his owner very close by.

Husky owner says that great danes are usually vicious which is why he needs the collar. Grrrr

The great dane owner picked my dog as an American bulldog and commented how well behaved he was for his age and that he was very respectful of other dogs and their space.

The husky started growling at my dog for no reason, he was sitting and letting the great dane sniff him. His owner said that's just how huskies are. I'm not sure if that's actually true or if he's an ignorant owner. The danes owner called him straight off and we pulled vinnie away when it happened.

Typical story at the park over the weekend. A woman was walking around the park with a big GSD puppy (probably 9 - 12 months), once he saw Collie and Sarah he proceeded to run across the entire park to them and proceeded sniff and stand-over our dogs and generally make a nuisance of himself. Owner called and called and couldn't get her GSD to come back so she ended up having to come over to try and physically move him away and didn't do a very good job with that either.

OH made a comment to her that it's extremely rude to allow your dog to run up to two completely strange dogs, she started to say 'But it's an off lead park' so I had to interrupt and let her know that there were still rules and regulations around that and she clearly didn't have verbal control over her dog.

After she left with the dog he ended up coming back again a couple of times and she had to run away to get him to follow her :p.

Was very annoying as I was trying to get some nice pictures of the dogs and we kept having to wait until she had control over her dog to keep taking photos.