What's The Most Frustrating Statement Someone Has Made To You Late

kelpiecuddles

You should hear some of the wacko ones I get with Gus the Flat Coated Retriever!

Black Long Haired Lab, black coated retriever, Straight Curly Coated ret, black golden ret, cross between a lab and a goldy, solid black border collie, once someone even asked if he was a staffy!

I have a pretty well-rehearsed spiel now. The tone doesn't even vary when people asked. I don't mind people asking though, happy to spruik the benefits of a flattie little spoon to the general public.

Plus it gives him an opportunity to meet people he might not normally and vice versa.

He has a lotta love to give....

Nothing wacko about confusion between flattie and golden. Quoting Wikipedia "Golden Retrievers were first accepted for registration by The Kennel Club of England in 1903, as Flat Coats – Golden" . . . it wasn't till a couple decades later that the two breeds really got separated.

No you're right, but they're generally not black! Haha. That is certainly one of the least odd ones though.

We were away camping last weekend and got asked if he was any good for pigging. No, no he wouldn't be….

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Person: I'm a dog trainer, and I'm studying to be a dog trainer.

Me: So, do you trial?

Person: What's a trial?

Me: You know, Obedience trials, tracking trials, agility trials. It's a test like a driver's test, only for dogs and their owners.

Person: Oh I know tracking. What's a trial?

:banghead: And so we went in circles.

Me: You know, Obedience trials, tracking trials, agility trials. It's a test like a driver's test, only for dogs and their owners.

Anybody's a dog trainer these days, just like anybody is a photographer LOL

Anybody's a dog trainer these days, just like anybody is a photographer LOL

Very true. We had a behaviorist pop up down here. Never been to trianing, never trained a dog in any arena to the best of my knowledge and what I could find out, but he did some course and walah a dog behaviorist. oookkkaayyy then!

We popped into the vet to grab a few over the counter items yesterday an there was a little Bully puppy - He was quite young, he also had scratches all over his muzzle. I don't know Bull Terriers well enough to say how old he was but he was young. Scottie was on leash, there was a lady at the counter with a cat and another lady waiting with a cat.

The second we walked in this pup went off his tree - growling, twisting, biting at his owner, barking. Really going off his tree. While all of this is going on, Scottie is being a saint (thank God) the cat people are looking mortified and all the bully owner can say is "oh well, that's the breed for you".

It was a really poor PR for Bullys and I really worry about how this driven little guy will grow up.

Not too long ago I was waiting for class at uni, when I overheard a conversation about dogs between a group of people. One lady was saying how she owned a Husky (who sounded a few years old), and how she had done plenty of research into the breed and spoken to lots of people, as she knew they could be a difficult breed to own, and required a knowledgeable owner. She went on to say her husky was beautiful and how they were managing really well with her :) Then she was saying how she recently got a 10 month old GSD from a registered breeder. She was comparing training method/styles between the different breeds, and their unique needs. As you can imagine I was incredibly happy, and was thinking something like 'score one for responsible dog ownership!' :D ... then she said it was a shame the GSD came desexed as she was hoping he could be her Husky's 'Beau' :mad

...How does someone go in depth into dog ownership, raising certain breeds, buying from a registered breeder, and talk in depth about different training methods, and completely miss the whole BYB thing?! It's beyond me...

And just recently a friend commented it would be 'fun' to breed dogs in the future :mad

No no, that's dropkick owners for you.

Poor guy hasn't a hope.

I'd love to hope you're wrong but don't think you are. All I can say is I hope I don't walk into the same room with him in 6 months time. Its a tiny waiting room!

A lady I work with breed bull terriers, I've met hers and from the way she describes shows they can be pretty feisty but not to the degree that they are 'unbalanced' which that one sounds like it was!

I only know one and he's a big sooky baby - so not a balanced assessment of the breed. Who knows - maybe this guy just wanted to say hello (with his teeth).

Edited by Scottsmum

I find pre-judging breeds annoying to say the least! We often hear about breeds that are pre judged as being aggressive but I have the opposite problem.Jesse is a 14month rough collie,neutered,.I have had her since 10 weeks,he came from a very reputable breeder has never in any way been hurt ,mistreated just much loved.He is timid and reactive and always has to be kept on a short leash.He is crated when visitors arrive,until I decide if he'll be o k.He is a beautiful boy and wonderful with us,but we have had one experience of him nipping....As we live on several acres he gets plenty of exercise ,also always goes in the car with us...loves it .I'm off topic a bit now,I really just wanted to say how often we hear "aw there's Lassie,they're so friendly" and go to pat him.I always feel bad saying "actually he's still being trained,and suggest they pat my small spitz ,who loves the attention!Anyone else have this problem...Love to know,Thanks. :)

Edited by Lulusuki