Dog Shot At Wendouree Home

Zereuloh

I don't think the dog being shot in the neck automatically means that the officer was wrong in his decision. Unless you know the positioning of the dog and a second by second account you cannot tell what happened. Do you have a second by second run down from the officers present? If you don't then you have no way of knowing how it went down. Why are you so confident you are right without all the information?

I am not confident that I am right, but the newspaper report says it was shot in the back of the neck. I do think the officer was wrong in his decision.

And is there some reason why my opinion should have less validity than yours - so why are you confident that you are right? You have no more information than I do.

I have already stated my case - this is going around in circles. I don't believe either your, or my opinion is the absolute truth .... they are opinions.

I don't think police should be shooting things without other options being used, and you think it is ok for him to shoot first. No problem with me, you are allowed to disagree with me, and if I am not allowed t o disagree with you, you have already said that a couple of times. :shrug:

Edited because sentences need verbs

Edited by Jed

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BDJ, I have no idea who you are or what your angle is, but I suggest you study cases in law from courts to see what the law says on entry to property.

No one has any idea what happened here, you are with the ones who say he should have shot the dog, I am not.

That's how life is sometimes.

Oh yes I do think the officer is a sissy - heaps of policemen would have managed the situation heaps better (and do every day) than that. Again, that is my opinion, If you think it's rude, you are entitled to an opinion.

End of subject, now it is really boring, and it's all been said 20 times now.

Edited by Jed

It was directed at anti-police posts. Sometimes Police Officers have to make a call when on the job. For the safety of other and themselves (yes many don't wish to die on the job). It's up to the courts to decide if they've acted reasonably, based on the evidence.

So for those who think the officer didn't take the right action. What can police officers do in a split second to respond to a charging dog?

I wish we could solve all violence by sitting down and talking about it. But thats not gonna help when it's already in motion.

Edited by Rocketeer

The problem is you aren't presenting an opinion but as a fact. He was wrong, wrong, wrong. I haven't seen anything from you in this thread other than condemnation and insults to the officer involved, not once have you conceded that you may be wrong. Everything you say rests on the dog being shot in the back of the neck and that this means he was wrong. If you do believe that the officer might have had justification you haven't mentioned that anywhere, just that he was a frightened big girl's blouse. If you are open minded and waiting for details you aren't coming across that way.

It was directed at anti-police posts. Sometimes Police Officers have to make a call when on the job. For the safety of other and themselves (yes many don't wish to die on the job). It's up to the courts to decide if they've acted reasonably, based on the evidence.

So for those who think the officer didn't take the right action. What can police officers do in a split second to respond to a charging dog?

I wish we could solve all violence by sitting down and talking about it. But thats not gonna help when it's already in motion.

Taser.

Capsicum, spray.

Something non deadly? :shrug:

Yes OC spray can set aggressive dogs right off - which many police have learned the hard way. And few police carry tasers. People can blame the cop all they like - the dog's owner was the one who seriously let him down.

As for the condemnation of the officer for the dog being "shot through the back of the neck" - because the newspaper said so... As we all know that newspapers are a vessel of nothing but absolute truth and integrity...

Same newspaper published a photo of said dead dog, showing the back of it's neck with no visible injury. And despite all the ballistics experts here on dol, a single shot to the back of a dogs neck with a 40cal hollow point round would be highly unlikely to drop it dead in a very clean manner.

Lesson to be learned, don't believe all that you read in papers - do we really need to be reminded of that?? :confused:

Jo I'll ensure I use a plethora of words such as

might

could

may have

think

consider

etc etc etc. so you know definitely that I am voicing my opinion. None of the rest of you need do that, of course, I am supposed to know whether it is fact or your opinion.

This, is far as I know, is a hypothetical subject - as 99.9% of them are - particularly on dog attacks.

Circles.

I said what needed to be said regarding my posts the first time, so I am not revisiting the revisted posts again. It's good to see you defending your relations Jo - shame you feel they need defending.

So, maybe argue amongst yourselves and be happy :)

Taser.

Capsicum, spray.

Something non deadly? :shrug:

The effectiveness of Pepper Spray on a dog (or even Humans) is uncertain. And tasers are another story.

So what do people expect? People don't always have time to run through all the options and find the 'appropriate' action to take in a situation like this. It's not like the Officer had time to stop and think " Oh, lets try a kick", " whoops, not working. I'll hit him with my baton". "Dam, that didn't do it, okay where's the Pepper Spray". " Shiet, anyone got a taser them on them ??".

I have 2 dogs that Capsicum spray doesn't work on - and we found that out the hard way... luckily they broke up their fight before the police pulled out the tasers... but they did have guns aimed when I had to take one of the dogs inside after the fight - luckily the other dog realised they were there and sat nicely wagging her tail until I came back to deal with her. None of my dogs are human aggressive or dog aggressive in any way - just 2 of them don't like each other is all.

T.

Another point mentioned much but seems to be disregarded in heated discussions.

How often is the Media Right??

As for the tazor it has caused too much controversy in killing people it was suppose to stop. How is a cop ever suppose to know a person has heart conditions before using a tazor. However the police know a gun can kill and seem more reluctant to use. The tazor it still going though inquests in Australia for the current deaths it could cause.

And using tazor a dog ???? at what setting, human setting would probably kill a small to medium dog?

What would people say to a cop killing a dog with a tazor?

Doomed if ya do Doomed if ya don't, but until we can rely on accurate facts the only thing we know for sure is a dog was shot by police when the rightfully (this has been explained a few times) entered a property. The dog is dead. Everything else is circumstantial and no one should be condemned until the facts are presented in their entirety.

Police never entered my property.

But they would have to be very foolish to sally the fence with four 50kg Maremma on the other side, particularly as the dogs would expend a lot of energy telling them to push off.

Maybe Bruiser should have been more visible.

But you could always ask: Is a dog on the property, if nobody hears it bark? :D