Oh No! Dog Saliva Allergy!

mixeduppup

I have developed an allergy to dog saliva. I've been trying to pinpoint the origin of my sudden manifestation of hives last week. Today I worked it out when I was licked by a rather slobbery dog and the reaction on my arms was instantaneous and rather impressive. I put some neocort on after washing them but is there anything I can do apart from claratyne and topical creams? Dogs are my life :(

It's been happening for a bit over a week, hives and it seems to be every dog and I've been ignoring it but it seems to be getting worse and it's just where the dog licks now nowhere else. It was originally on my back and chest but now it's just anywhere where saliva touches.

I know someone who is allergic to Rotti saliva - and only Rotti saliva...

If we ever get in a dog we think may have Rotti in it, we let it lick her - if she breaks out, then we give her a Telfast (the ones with psuedoephedrine in them) to negate the response... *grin*

T.

Its quite interesting. I seem to develop immunity. I dont react at all to my own dogs saliva anymore. When i get a new foster dog, I react to the saliva for a while then the reaction diminishes. And im allergic to most cats except my mums.

I definitely have this too.

I get allergy desensitisation injections monthly to help reduce my reaction to several allergies, including this one. It does make a difference, but I still need to take antihistamines fairly often.

Sometimes the best option is management... Trying to avoid being licked, or shower after a big slobbery play session. Washing the saliva off straight away is a big help!

I have quite severe allergies to cats. Many years ago, my housemates brought home a persian. I took antihistamines daily for about a month and then slowly reduced the frequency until I was able to tolerate the cat without using medication. I'm not sure if this will work for you but it did for me and I used to break out in welts (plus other symptoms of hayfever) if I entered a room where a cat has been in (even if they were no longer there). I had cats for many years after with no real problems until my cat passed away a couple of years ago. I have had next to no contact with cats since (my tibbie is not cat friendly so could not have another cat)until a few weeks ago when I patted a friend's cat. I reacted badly again and I assumed it's because my tolerance for cats has diminished with lack of contact. I have no scientific or medical evidence for anything and it's best to run it past a doctor but this was my experience. Also, dogs could be a different kettle of fish.

I'm fine with my kelpie and basset but jack russels give me hives and I got kissed and cuddled by someone elses kelpie at work the other day and I was SO itchy afterwards.

Maybe have a break from rescues for a few weeks once these ones go and see if it settles, you may find it is just certain breeds that you have more trouble with.

AHhhh, welcome to my world!

I'm allergic to some dog saliva too - the worst for me are Labs and GRs. Most others I can handle the saliva of, but those give me hives too. It's the fur, dander and everything else of most other dogs that I'm allergic to, though. Siiigh.

I am another with allergies to dog saliva.

I didn't put two and two together til I was in my 40s, LOL. Mine is not overly severe, just a nasty eczema break out, but it is extremely itchy and I can rip myself apart in my sleep if I am not careful.

My most sensitive areas are where the dogs always seem to lick easily when you cuddle... neck and inside of lower arms.

My dogs are taught to not lick and if they get me, I rinse within 30 seconds under running water and it is usually fine. If I have no water on hand, I use my own saliva to dilute it, all good.

But yes, a real PITA at times, but much better now I know and can manage it. :)

Added, I am not allergic to puppies til they reach about 4-5 months. And much more allergic to older dogs. I am convinced it is acidic levels in the saliva that get me going.

Edited by dyzney

I only seem to react to the saliva of certain coloured animals, those that are agouti. I noticed it first with horses. Never had a problem with my grey horse and started to react to a bay pony and then a buckskin pony. Never had cat issues until I got the birman cats. Luckily my sable dog isn't very licky!!

I get itchy if my dog licks my face. He's not an especially licky dog so it would be easy to avoid if necessary, but it's only a mild irritation so I live with it.

Interestingly, my brother gets the same reaction with him and neither of us react to other dogs. James must be particularly potent :p