Food Issues, Struvite Crystals And Allergies..

will_454

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has she been recently x rayed for bladder/kidney stones? Dripping urine should be investigated asap.

Recently we had a surrendered dog that had had crystals, was not x rayed by their vet and was dripping urine. We x rayed him - he had a bladder and urethra full of stones - he must have been in agony:((

My own rescue dog had both bladder/kidney struvite stones when rescued - she had major surgery. We monitor her urine every three months and she is on CD kibble plus beef/chicken/fish. No recurrence as yet - fingers crossed.

My little one, Olivia, was the same except she had previous surgery to remove stones from her bladder.

She had been taken to a vet and then was going to be euthanised at the owners' request when she became so ill with infection and stones and it was left untreated! She was in a dreadful state.

The vet rang me asking if I would take her in to rescue if the owner was willing to surrender. She was then operated on again to remove the offending stones and has been with me ever since. It's been I think around 5 years now or close to it and not one infection or stones since.

So we went to the new vet had a lengthy discussion and took a urine sample and spun it. No bacteria or crystals, however the pH was 8.1.

Asha is on an Acidurin equivalent, the name escapes me at the moment but they are brown chewable tablets that she takes half in the morning and night with food for a month.

The vet (hollistic) told us that we seemed to be doing everything right, and they only additional step she could suggest may be introducing raw in the morning in place of the kibble, we could also look at a supplement such as Wysongs Biotic pH-, however it is very difficult to find in Australia.

We are going to go for a follow up in a month and see what the outcome of the acidifiers is.

Just to note the acidifiers is urimav 400mg.

Edited by will_454