So Annoyed!

mixeduppup

Huh.

Cafes are on footpaths.

The public has a legal right to use a retail business - 'entitlement'

A retail business is required by law to open to the public for a certain number of prescribed hours.

Please tell me you don't teach legal studies.

You are only allowed to have your dog at a cafe with the OWNER'S permission. A cafe is NOT a public place.

It's all there on the DLG website Tralee. Have a read.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is misquoted.

(b) Food preparation/consumption areas (meaning any public place, or part of a public place, that is within 10 metres of any apparatus provided in that public place or part for the preparation of food for human consumption or for the consumption of food by humans).

Dogs are allowed in outdoor eating areas if there is a public thouroughfare.

I've quoted directly from the Act from the NSW legislation website. They are talking about public picnic/BBQ areas I think, not cafes. Cafes are not public places as defined by the Act. Members of the public have no "entitlement" to use them.

public place means:

(a) any pathway, road, bridge, jetty, wharf, road-ferry,
reserve, park, beach or garden,
and

(b) any other place,

that the public are entitled to use.

Huh.

Cafes are on footpaths.

A retail business is required by law to open to the public for a certain number of prescribed hours.

You might want to hold back on dispensing advice on a dog forum to dog owners about their legal rights when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Huh.

Cafes are on footpaths.

Please tell me you don't teach legal studies.

You are only allowed to have your dog at a cafe with the OWNER'S permission. A cafe is NOT a public place.

It's all there on the DLG website Tralee. Have a read.

One website does not 'a suppository of wisdom' make. :D

It would be nice if we could make the law mean what we want it to but that is incredibly irresponsible when giving advice to people.

What's wrong with saying: "Gee mixeduppup, I'm sorry you weren't allowed to take your dog in to vote with you" instead of the wet blanket arguments you are putting up.

All this aside, people did have permission to bring their dogs onto the school property as no one seemed to have an issue with any dog but my large one. I appreciate that people may be put off by large dogs and they are probably in their rights to order me off the premises because they effectively have control, but if you order one off you order all off.

Having travelled & grown up overseas I've observed that Australia isn't as dog friendly as a lot of other places in the world. It's a shame too because some of the best behaved dogs I've seen have been in places where dogs were allowed everywhere with their owners. In San Francisco you can take your dog to a lot of places with you and it's very rarely ever a problem - most of the time owners and dogs just keep to themselves. Obviously though if we had the same sort of laws implemented here tomorrow you'd see a lot more incidences happen with irresponsible owners and their dogs, but it makes you wonder if there's a correlation between dog friendly laws + well behaved dogs.

Personally I would not leave my dog tied up outside on a fence with lots of people around and out of my line of sight.

I don't get the need to take the dog when you go and do things like voting - I do dog things with my dog and leave him at home when I do people things.

I don't split the two, everything I do is dog things... :laugh:

Three interesting posts illumninating what (just my opinion) I think is going wrong in terms of dogs in the community.

Dogs should be part of the family, part of family activities and allowed in many more places than they currently are.

I would have taken one of my dogs to the polling booth with me, but I was going on to do a bit of shopping.

There was a man waiting outside with a Staffy who was somewhat overweight, but that's not doggy's fault. I asked the man if I could pat him and he said yes and then followed it up with, "He's fine, looks can be deceiving." I thought it was so sad that he felt he had to defend his dog. We had a bit of a chat and doggy loved me ...... my doggy smells that is :D

One website does not 'a suppository of wisdom' make. :D

It would be nice if we could make the law mean what we want it to but that is incredibly irresponsible when giving advice to people.

What's wrong with saying: "Gee mixeduppup, I'm sorry you weren't allowed to take your dog in to vote with you" instead of the wet blanket arguments you are putting up.

One website is the advice for owners from the Government department responsible for dogs. I rate that a more reliable source of information than you. Others can make their own judgement.

I agree about the advice. Quit while you're ahead. You really have no idea. Your legislative interpretation needs a lot of work.

I don't see the need to have your dog in a polling booth with you unless its an assistance dog. If you have no right to have your dog there's no point in arcing up about it is there?

Most of us manage to get through the voting process without one. :shrug:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

All this aside, people did have permission to bring their dogs onto the school property as no one seemed to have an issue with any dog but my large one. I appreciate that people may be put off by large dogs and they are probably in their rights to order me off the premises because they effectively have control, but if you order one off you order all off.

They didn't order you off the premises. They asked you not to take your dog into the polling booth.

Having travelled & grown up overseas I've observed that Australia isn't as dog friendly as a lot of other places in the world. It's a shame too because some of the best behaved dogs I've seen have been in places where dogs were allowed everywhere with their owners. In San Francisco you can take your dog to a lot of places with you and it's very rarely ever a problem - most of the time owners and dogs just keep to themselves. Obviously though if we had the same sort of laws implemented here tomorrow you'd see a lot more incidences happen with irresponsible owners and their dogs, but it makes you wonder if there's a correlation between dog friendly laws + well behaved dogs.

Personally I would not leave my dog tied up outside on a fence with lots of people around and out of my line of sight.

I don't get the need to take the dog when you go and do things like voting - I do dog things with my dog and leave him at home when I do people things.

Three interesting posts illumninating what (just my opinion) I think is going wrong in terms of dogs in the community.

Dogs should be part of the family, part of family activities and allowed in many more places than they currently are.

I would have taken one of my dogs to the polling booth with me, but I was going on to do a bit of shopping.

There was a man waiting outside with a Staffy who was somewhat overweight, but that's not doggy's fault. I asked the man if I could pat him and he said yes and then followed it up with, "He's fine, looks can be deceiving." I thought it was so sad that he felt he had to defend his dog. We had a bit of a chat and doggy loved me ...... my doggy smells that is :D

So because I don't see the need to drag my dog around all my errands etc then he is not a part of my family??

I spend a fair bit of time with my dog but quite frankly he is not my entire life so there is many occasions when he gets left at home to sleep.

Well, after I finished my Masters in Theology I contemplated becoming a wandering monk going about the country admonishing people about their lifestyle.

But then I thought: How popular would that be?

I would have let the dog in, fully cognizant that it was a school area.

Edited by Tralee

So because I don't see the need to drag my dog around all my errands etc then he is not a part of my family??

I spend a fair bit of time with my dog but quite frankly he is not my entire life so there is many occasions when he gets left at home to sleep.

Well my dogs are my entire life. I live for them. I rarely go out unless I can take them and when I do go out without them it's rare and with friends or to earn money to feed them. Dogs should be allowed to be more involved in everything you do if you so choose to involve them. In America dogs had a lot more freedom than they do here.

Well my dogs are my entire life. I live for them. I rarely go out unless I can take them and when I do go out without them it's rare and with friends or to earn money to feed them. Dogs should be allowed to be more involved in everything you do if you so choose to involve them. In America dogs had a lot more freedom than they do here.

Not everyone shares your passion for dogs. Some people don't like dogs. Some people are afraid of dogs.

And our challenge as responsible dog owners is to deal with it. No point arcing up over minor set backs.

Not everyone shares your passion for dogs. Some people don't like dogs. Some people are afraid of dogs.

And our challenge as responsible dog owners is to deal with it. No point arcing up over minor set backs.

I have many minor set backs that I don't arc over, this time I did. I'm entitled to my fair share of arcing.

Our challenge?? :confused:

I can speak for myself, and I would prefer that you didn't assume, or presume, to represent me.

Thank you

I thought the same thing about voting in pencil!

The pups came voting with me as I did it on the way home from soccer, which they come to every week lol.

My partner is a NZ citizen so he held them off to the side away from the line and no one seemed to have any issue... We are pretty surburban and I didn't see any other dogs there while we were. When I used to vote out in a more rural area there were often other dogs.

I think there should have been a more fair approach where all dogs were either allowed in, or not allowed.