Dull Coat

Darien

Misty, my Cocker Spaniel's coat is very dull at the moment, I'm sure it's due to her stress, although the Prozac is working well. I have added a few eggs a week to her diet to help bring her coat along and I have tried oliveoil, but that doesn't agree with her. I also give her tuna in oil a few times a week as well. She is on Supercoat kibble and I make her meals with beef mince, vegies and pasta. I don't bath her I have a mobile dog wash do that and he uses high grade products and her coat doea look nice staraight after a bath.

Is there anything else I can do to bring her coat back on?

Misty, my Cocker Spaniel's coat is very dull at the moment, I'm sure it's due to her stress, although the Prozac is working well. I have added a few eggs a week to her diet to help bring her coat along and I have tried oliveoil, but that doesn't agree with her. I also give her tuna in oil a few times a week as well. She is on Supercoat kibble and I make her meals with beef mince, vegies and pasta. I don't bath her I have a mobile dog wash do that and he uses high grade products and her coat doea look nice staraight after a bath.

Is there anything else I can do to bring her coat back on?

I would swap out the tuna for sardines or mackerel. The mobile dog wash products are probably stripping out the coat, high grade doesn't necessarily mean something that suits the particular dog. It may also be genetic.

I have a bitch here who is nursing pups and her coat, despite not having being bathed since she gave birth, is gleaming and glossy - her lines are just like that. She never has dull coat. OTOH, I have had dogs who have awful combo coats (greasy ears and dry tails) and while I can match a bathing solution for it, it's also genetic.

Are you removing dead coat? Does she sit in the sun or by a heat source a lot?

Just some things to ponder...

Have you ever fed her anything other than supercoat? I only ask because I gave my girls supercoat once not long ago when I ran out of other food and couldn't get to the pet store and within a couple of days they were really dull and my basset started losing condition. back on their usual food and they look great again...

Coconut oil, or sunflower oil. Flaxseed oil is good too but mine hate it.

Yes, and maybe try something other than Supercoat .... or maybe try her without kibble, just raw, eggs, sardines etc. If dogs are stressed/out of sorts, their coats wont be the best

How is she going?

Edited because it just occurred to me - she may be changing coat, and have a lot of dead hair. I am not sure whether she is clipped off, or you have her in show coat, or semi-show coat. If she is not clipped off, try a Mars Coat king on her back coat, or pluck the dead hair out.

Edited by Jed

Daily brushing can also help. I posted quite recently in the Health section about my girl Kirah having a dull coat and I've found that daily brushing (I use a pin brush, flea comb and finish with boar bristle brush) has improved her coat condition drastically. Being outside, she does run and roll through the dirt and dust, but she is also fed mackerel or sardines in oil mixed into her dry.

I couldn't be happier with how her coat's turned out!

I've had great success with a supplement called Omega Magic. It takes around 3 months to get the full effect. My Andy (female BC) had dull coat on her rear end but is now glossy and luxuriant. I used to use fish oil and flaxseed oil, but the combination of ingredients in this supplement really does the trick.

Just contact the manufacturer (in WA) to find a local supplier. They're very helpful.

My link

I ran out of food once and grabbed some supercoat and gave it away. Showed in the shar pei coat very quickly. Not so much in the staffy. Got them back on Black Hawk quick smart. I also include a scoop of mackerel or sardines in breakfast daily and also included a squirt of Natural animal solutions, Omega oils. I've just ran out of Omega oil and am waiting to see if there is a difference.

Chuck the supercoat, it dries the coat out as it's pure filler and low quality protein/fats.

Why don't you just put the dog on a home made diet and add something like Vets All Natural health booster powder to balance it out, and mix tinned fish through the mix. You'll notice a difference in no time. And less shampooing, strips out the coat.

Chuck the supercoat, it dries the coat out as it's pure filler and low quality protein/fats.

Why don't you just put the dog on a home made diet and add something like Vets All Natural health booster powder to balance it out, and mix tinned fish through the mix. You'll notice a difference in no time. And less shampooing, strips out the coat.

I agree, dump the Supercoat and try another brand, if you want to continue to use a dry food, Nutro is very good. Have you stripped the dead coat out? Dead coat will make the coat look dry and dull and I doubt that a mobile groomer would know how to remove it. Also check the shampoo and conditioner they are using, they may say that it's a good product, but it may not suit the dog.

I don't know anything about the prozac you mentioned your dog was taking... but is it possible that it may have side effects such as dull coat? When I was researching which kibble to feed the Supercoat wasn't considered a high quality kibble so if your dog is not doing well this may be part of the problem?

Edited by Lasareina

Coconut oil, or sunflower oil. Flaxseed oil is good too but mine hate it.

Yes, and maybe try something other than Supercoat .... or maybe try her without kibble, just raw, eggs, sardines etc. If dogs are stressed/out of sorts, their coats wont be the best

How is she going?

Edited because it just occurred to me - she may be changing coat, and have a lot of dead hair. I am not sure whether she is clipped off, or you have her in show coat, or semi-show coat. If she is not clipped off, try a Mars Coat king on her back coat, or pluck the dead hair out.

My Border Collie is on Supercoat and her coat is lovely as usual :) I do not clip Misty, apart from her head where it gets shaggy and yes I do realise it's to show their head in the ring :) I also think it looks neater. She is brushed regularily, every second day as she has a fine coat and I hate knots. I bought sardines and mackeral today for her.

Misty is improving slowly but surely, we rarely have accidents in the house anymore. I did try to take her to obedience training, but I think it was too soon, as while she wasn't too bad while we were there, she was not herself for a few days afterwards on both occassions :(

I've had great success with a supplement called Omega Magic. It takes around 3 months to get the full effect. My Andy (female BC) had dull coat on her rear end but is now glossy and luxuriant. I used to use fish oil and flaxseed oil, but the combination of ingredients in this supplement really does the trick.

Just contact the manufacturer (in WA) to find a local supplier. They're very helpful.

My link

Thank you :)

So many telling me to ditch the Supercoat :) I have used it for years and even when I was shoing my BC's, never had a problem. My dogs are only bathed once a month.

Flaxseed oil..... BEST THING EVER for coats!!!!

Where do I get Faxseed oil from? I looked today in Coles, but couldn't find it.

I buy it online at natural pet store or vetnpet direct. You wont find it in a supermarket :)

You can buy flaxseed oil at health food stores - you will find the cold pressed version in the fridge. Melrose is a well priced brand, it doesn't have to be a pet version. It is also worth taking a look at Udo's oil while you are there, it is a balanced blend of Omega 3,6 & 9.

However, don't forget that diet is not the only contributor to a glossy coat - exercise is of prime importance in maintaining vitality. Our red & white kelpie looks as if he has been oiled; ironically enough he cannot tolerate any oils in his diet except for the occasional dollop of coconut oil, but he gets plenty of free running, & a good raw diet with VAN.

Edited by trifecta