Dull Coat

Darien

So many telling me to ditch the Supercoat :) I have used it for years and even when I was shoing my BC's, never had a problem

A lot of dog foods are not what they used to be, Nestle Purina has had a major shake up in the past couple of years so a lot of their brands have pretty much equalised in the crappyness stakes.

Just because all your dogs before this one have done well on one brand of food doesn't mean that it is suiting this dog. If her coat is crap there is a reason, if she is not in need of worming I would look at her diet and your grooming technique. A good coat is a reflection of a dogs well being, and a good diet is the basis of that :) Omega Blend oil from Vets ALL Natural is excellent, they also sell Flaxseed Oil. I rotate Omega Blend and Coconut Oil.

We were told to use olive oil for our male as his skin was really dry, was extremely itchy and he had no shine. 5 spoons are added to his dinner (he loves it) and it only took 2 weeks to notice the difference. He's stopped scratching, his coat is lovely and shiny and he smells great. The only drawback is that he's put on a bit of weight so we're adjusting his food intake and he's slowly losing the weight.

ETA: we had tried everything, sardines, fish oil, flaxseed, shampoo, nothing worked.

Edited by poochmad

Its amazing how different foods affect different dogs coats. Because of a health problem with my very first GSP, my dogs all got fed a natural diet for many years. Their coats were okay, but nothing amazing. When he passed on I got lazy and now they are all fed on supercoat with chicken mince and rice and cooked veges. I also add sardines in oil a couple of times a week. Their coats are fantastic. Judges recently remarked on their beautiful coats. My Papillon has stomach problems, so I have been looking for something to help him and for the last few months he has been on Black Hawk chicken and this has helped his stomach. A cocker spaniel breeder told me that she tried that on her dogs, and their coats were awful, but his coat is beautiful. I think you have to try a few things and see what suits your dog.