Importing From The Us May Have Just Got 'harder'

espinay2

don;t be surprised at how rigorously they apply this either - they did a surprise raid on a cat show on Rhode Island where some exhibitors had come from Canada, and had security guards with tazers storming the centre and demanding all exhibitors produce all papers for their cats, including all vaccination certificates, to prove all cats had rabies vaccinations up to date. This show had been occuring at Rhode Island for many years, and never had anything like this n the past. So they have shown they are certainly not all about leaving the purebreed community alone, they are well and truly on the radar, and if they know where breeders are, surprise inspections when they know owners may well be at shows, and so minimal people at home may well become the norm. See a very big impact acoming.

If their reasoning is to stop unhealthy pets getting sold what ever way possible then Yay for it but It presents multiple complications. Selling internationally chances are the buyer is not going to have a friend or relative able to inspect.

Thankfully the USA isn't the only place to import from. I understand a lot of breeders are going to be put out and have to re-adjust their lines or possibly start over or pay extra to inspect. But it won't doom breeding for Australians.

Anyway ya might be able to get the US breeder to drive to Canada or Mexico and send them from there LMAO! the down side of being a country connected to other countries who do not have the same rules.

Driving them elsewhere won't solve the problem for them if they didn't meet the buyer. It will be a matter of whether a breeder will be willing to risk their 'status' under the law to export a dog. It can be hard enough now with all Australia's quarantine requirements, this may just add to it. Sure there are more countries than the US to import from but the US is a huge slice of many genepools and reducing the ability to import from there is not a small matter.

The US is not currently on my list or is likely to be anytime in the future.

I have a very short list of one, Italy.

But I would not collect a dog unseen from overseas, and have only sourced dogs from people I have known well and trusted impeccably.

Driving them elsewhere won't solve the problem for them if they didn't meet the buyer. It will be a matter of whether a breeder will be willing to risk their 'status' under the law to export a dog. It can be hard enough now with all Australia's quarantine requirements, this may just add to it. Sure there are more countries than the US to import from but the US is a huge slice of many genepools and reducing the ability to import from there is not a small matter.

I totally understand that and lines are a lot more complicated then my post gives them credit. But if this does go though and it is exactly as it stands. Until they fix it, Breeders will have to reassess how they are going to go forward. Maybe just import semen??

I would hate to be in that position and I do hope that some sort of common sense prevails here. But if it doesn't I wish all the breeders affected the strength and determination to carry on. Where there is a will there is a way.

The US is not currently on my list or is likely to be anytime in the future.

I have a very short list of one, Italy.

But I would not collect a dog unseen from overseas, and have only sourced dogs from people I have known well and trusted impeccably.

You sound like your bragging???

I don't import either I breed a very common breed but others don't and they do rely on the american genepool.

Compassion doesn't hurt nor does a bit of tact.