Tick Treatment?

airlock

whats the easiest and safest way for tick prevention for puppies? it looks like its a toss up between the frontline style spot treatments or a flea and tick collar. our dogs grown about 2 kilos in two weeks so i'm wondering if a tick collar would be a good idea as he may out grow it pretty sharp. but on the other hand he is in and out of the water a lot now so will the spot on style drops wash away? I found an empty tick crawling on his fur this morning and one stuck in my leg so i'm looking to get him protected asap.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use a tick collar called scalibor and it's been effective for us. we haven't yet seen a tick. Apparently it is delivered using the same principal as a spot on, but it lasts for 3months. We just leave some extra length in the collar for growing, and use a tiny zip tie to stop the extra from flopping around.

The aus instructions say:

The effect of swimming, bathing or shampooing on efficacy has not been established. The collar should be removed before swimming, bathing or shampooing the dog because the active substance is harmful to fish and other aquatic organisms.

The USA instructions say it can be worn in the water and remain effective, and it's been available there for a lot longer.

Also, if it works through the same mechanism as a spot on, and they're fine for swimming, then I don't see why scalibor wouldn't be? Once you've built up the initial protection over 2 weeks, I doubt a swim or a bath would mean you'd have to start over?

Both Frontline and Advantix spot ons require reapplication every two weeks to treat for ticks. I use Advantix as I live in a very high tick area however I still check over the body for ticks too.

With checking your dogs RiverStar have you ever found ticks on your dogs using Advantix? I don't live in a tick area & have never seen a tick on a dog & always worry about taking them to a tick area.

I lived in a high tick area for many years, and also had a grooming business. I didn't ever see ticks on dogs with Advantix (although I am sure it has happened), but did see ticks on dogs with collars but more so Frontline.

eta: Not the scalibor collar though, they weren't available at that time.

Edited by Clyde

The aus instructions say:

The effect of swimming, bathing or shampooing on efficacy has not been established. The collar should be removed before swimming, bathing or shampooing the dog because the active substance is harmful to fish and other aquatic organisms.

The USA instructions say it can be worn in the water and remain effective, and it's been available there for a lot longer.

Also, if it works through the same mechanism as a spot on, and they're fine for swimming, then I don't see why scalibor wouldn't be? Once you've built up the initial protection over 2 weeks, I doubt a swim or a bath would mean you'd have to start over?

It's just not something I would want to risk. Plus as another poster said, all the pesticides from the collar are toxic to aquatic life, so it would be pretty selfish to knowingly risk other animals. I'm not dissing the collar, I think it's the best collar on the market, but it's not approved for swimming dogs and not safe for water critters so I wouldnt understand why someone would choose to use it over say Advantix, which is safe for swimmers.

Both Frontline and Advantix spot ons require reapplication every two weeks to treat for ticks. I use Advantix as I live in a very high tick area however I still check over the body for ticks too.

With checking your dogs RiverStar have you ever found ticks on your dogs using Advantix? I don't live in a tick area & have never seen a tick on a dog & always worry about taking them to a tick area.

Just as an aside, as far as I know the Scalibor collar takes 2 or 3 weeks to become effective. So if you do visit a tick area and wish to use the Scalibor you need to plan those weeks in advance, not just whack the collar on at the last minute and think the dog is covered. Proban tablets were terrific for traveling dogs but taken off the market some time ago.

Luvsdogs, I have always lived in a high tick area & since using Advantix have never found a tick on either one of my guys. The only time I have found a tick on Sonny's nose was when

I couldn't get Advantix one fortnight & used Frontline plus. With in 2 days of applying it I discovered a large tick on the side of Sonny's nose. Lucky it hadn't been there long enough

to do any damage. So I am sticking with Advantix. I apply it every 2 weeks all year round. Plus daily checks in winter. Twice a day in summer. The dogs are used to the routine. They just think

it is like a big feely cuddle :D I am paranoid about them as I have lost a dog to one as a child. It isn't a nice way to go. They are horrible things.

I use frontline as we have cats and young kids. I therfore wont use advantix or collars.

Although I worry about efficancy after reviews on this site..

The cat thing I understand, but not the kid thing. Do some reading on Fipronil. Unfortunately for any of these products to truly be effective there is usually some level of toxic material. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :(

I use frontline as we have cats and young kids. I therfore wont use advantix or collars.

The cat thing I understand, but not the kid thing. Do some reading on Fipronil. Unfortunately for any of these products to truly be effective there is usually some level of toxic material. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :(

I'm also looking at Advantix. Is this not a wise thing to use on my two dogs if I have a cat?

I'm also looking at Advantix. Is this not a wise thing to use on my two dogs if I have a cat?

No apparently Advantix is poisonous to cats.