Question, Ankc Rule Puppy Not Eligible For Group

BDJ

Hi all,

Am hoping someone can help me. I went to the Adelaide Royal yesterday, and read in the catalogue the rules around elimination. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it, but it came up yesterday and I could not make sense of it.

If a puppy wins BOB, but does not win Puppy in group, why is it ineligible for Best in Group

(yesterday the beagle that won best of breed was a puppy - went in the ring for puppy in group and was beaten by the afghan puppy. It was then ineligible for best in group.)

I understand that it could not win Best In Group - by definition the BOB Afghan had already beaten it (BOB afghan beat the afghan puppy, afghan puppy beats beagle puppy, therefore BOB afghan has beaten beagle). But the rest of the group had not beaten in. And the group is placed to fourth.

So theoretically, could not the afghan have won group and the beagle finished second (or third) in group ??

Not disputing that it needed to happen as per the rules (and no one else seemed surprised), I just don't know what I am missing ??

(the question is just about the rules, not the placings yesterday and who should have placed where :) )

PS - congrats to everyone who made it yesterday, and everyone who went home with an extra ribbon. I saw some lovely dogs, but what I was more impressed with were the temperaments. Happy, confident dogs everywhere, and most of them seemed to be having fun (especially the Lowchen puppy, she was a nutcase (said in the nicest possible way - for me that is a compliment))

thanks for the answers - kinda makes sense (it has been beaten), but I still find it strange that it was beaten by dogs (except the afghan BOB) that it would not be competing against. No issues, I dont show, just seemed a little weird to me

(and I got totally confused when the smooth chi placed in group, there was then an award for 'best chi' so the judge then looked at the smooth and the longcoat and gave it to the longcoat ???? - he had just placed the smooth over the longcoat in the group line up, then 60 seconds later put the longcoat over the smooth)

Interesting question about the reverse - for a normal show, if you dont win group, can you go in your age (still a beaten dog)

I think it would have been nicer to have had Best In Group first.

It was a shame that some breeds weren't represented in their group because they were beaten dogs in Puppy in Group. Maybe they could have gone in so spectators could have seen them in a full line-up then been excused.

Edited by Finnesse

I can't vouch for Adelaide, but here in Canberra the Royal is NOT run under the auspices of Dogs ACT and they can follow their own policies. I think the Royals may have their own rules.

You see things at Royals that you do not see at regular ANKC rules shows.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Just to further muddy the waters (LOL) - if the Afghan puppy which beat the Beagle puppy was not RUBOB to the BOB Afghan winner, then by definition, some of the Afghans had also automatically beaten the Beagle puppy.

I find it amazing that the Smooth Chihuahua was placed in the Group, but was then beaten by the Long Coat for Best Chihuahua!!!! Where were the Stewards when

this happened???

Re this:

Interesting question about the reverse - for a normal show, if you dont win group, can you go in your age (still a beaten dog)

At a "normal show", all the age classes (other than the BIG winning dog's class) are already beaten dogs.

It was a shame that some breeds weren't represented in their group because they were beaten dogs in Puppy in Group. Maybe they could have gone in so spectators could have seen them in a full line-up then been excused.

The dogs who were knocked out did a lap of honour whilst they explained why they would not be in the line up.

In Sydney you can do a lap & leave if you wish .

This is actually a scenario you dread when you win the breed with a puppy & why sometimes puppy BOB winners don't return especially if from the east

They did a lap after the Puppy class was judged and it was explained to the public at Adelaide