What Breeds Are Most Common In Your Area?

kelpiecuddles

Lately I have come to realise that there is a huge divide in the doggy community in our area. There is definately a huge cohort of people keeping BYB bull and mastiff type breeds, mostly staffys and bull mastiffs and mostly lovely although a lot of them are the pig hunting types of people so there are a few questionable ones around. Sadly not many of these are particularly good representations of their breeds, which is a pity as there is certainly enough interest in them here to get a good cohort at shows and things if people sourced from responsible breeders instead. Then there seems to be a lot of rather unusual breeds around. recently I have met a soft-coated wheaten terrier, a gordon setter(owners were very surprised I knew what he was!), a borzoi, schipperkes and I chatted to some people who had a petite basset griffon vendeen, plus i guess i am in that category too having a basset hound(we always get lots of comments when out and about).

I guess the two groups are somewhat representative of two of the major groups who live in this area, there are many places where it's cheap to live here and lost of low-income people reside and poorly bred bull breeds and their crosses seem to be sadly common in those areas and to a lesser degree smaller terrier type cross breeds and a few kelpie types. This area also has a large percentage of retirees and often the unusual ones seem to belong to them. We are what i guess would be classed as middle income and most of the people around us have things like labs, beagles, etc which are usually pet store or pound/rescue animals, we are fairly unusual amonst our group of aquaintances and most who i have spoken to about Josie exclaim in horror when i say how much she cost LOL.

so there we go, I find it intereesting how much diversity there is across this region in breeds but at the same time in localised areas there is next to none...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pugs are very common where I am, however most of them are BYB or from one or two well known registered puppy farms when they all have noses and long legs. I just assume pugs are "trendy" at the moment and think nothing of it, but I had to go to Newcastle on Saturday and took my two with me.

It was like the people up there had never seen pugs before - and I lost count of how many people said "I didn't know pugs came in black" :eek: Sooooo many people stopped us in the street, or came up to as while we were having brekky at an outside table of a cafe to talk to them and say hi to them and talk to us about them, it was really weird. Of course they loved it :laugh:

Oodles of oodles, I'm pretty good at recognizing the crosses now. After that retrievers and labs, we are a family area so I guess that's why the labs. There's a few kelpie and cattle dog types and unfortunately the three I know seem to be not well looked after. Jake is the only bulldog I know and there's two staffies a few blocks over, they're beautifully trained and excellent representatives of their breed.

Lots of bull breed crosses where I am. Also lots of small dogs like SWF and Pom crosses.

After those it would probably be herding and working dogs like BC, Koolies and Kelpies.

Im in a pretty rough neighbourhood :laugh: saying that though EVERYONE has dogs which I like.

Edited by Aussie3

We have a rather large selection of dogs in my area, what surprises me is for an affluent area they don't seem to have a lot of nice, looking well bred dogs. :(

We have lots of Border Collies, Golden Retrievers, Beagles, PLENTY of Oodles (and not even pretty ones at that), we have a guy with a Samoyed, some GSP's, Labradors, some pugs, a Greyhound, a couple of Logotto's (I've only seen the one, and he is usually VERY unkempt)...can't recall seeing any staffy's. Sometimes at Baseball games at the local park there is a couple of Rottweilers. (:D) Ofcourse there is now a resident Rottweiler (Willow :cool: well bred, well conformed...even if I do say so myself), and a very unique and cute, not an oodle, cross bred rescue dog of unkown parentage...Dory. :cooldance:

There are quite a few Westies around my area, mini schnauzers, plenty of labs, my next door neighbour has a boxer/ ridgey that is a big sook, but barks like a beast :laugh: All sorts at the local off-lead dog park, what surprises me is I seldom see a GSD these days?

BYB bull breed crosses and also lots of Pei and Pitty crosses. There is also a lot of small fluffy cross breeds.

Although, in my street there is a Dobe, a couple of Pointers, an ACD, 2 Boxers, a Malamute and a couple of Chi's and Cav's as well as a good mix of the above.

Very much an area which has either youngish families or retired people. It's an older suburb being 'reborn'. And the younger families tend to be very trendy active people .... so the walking tracks thro' the parks are well used.

So lot of labradors around, and some border collies. Also what look like handsome purebred staffies. All well cared for.

Then the older people tend to have smaller breeds. Some pugs, Maltese, cavaliers.

I've noticed that the older people have the cavaliers, rather than the families.

Edited by mita

we have the bull arab piggy types, few kelpies and kelp x, lots of GSD, a few labs and a few retrievers, few rotties, border collies, quiet a few staffys, sooooooooo many little dog mixes, toy poodles. I seen 2 stardard poodles, and 1 rough collie, a couple of huskies and a couple of neo and english mastiffs.

common crosses in the area

bull arab and whatever goes in them

kelpie/border

gsd/cattledog

gsd/rottie

shi/maltese

toy poodle/maltese

staffy/kelpie/cattledog

pei/bull arab thingys

shi/ something that made a really really ugly stick sufferers. long, short, flat faced, bottom jaw like a bulldog. size of a welsh corgi, wire haired apart from the long ear hair and long tail hair. black/blue tinge colour. I wasn't even sure i was looking at a dog it was at the vet when i was there with Ruby and even she was thinking about it.

There are so many small dogs in my area. Middle class, families and retirees. In fact our house is surrounded on all but one side by fluffy small, yapping dogs. Then when I walk I often run into various oodles who have escaped and play havoc running across roads.

Generic byb Staffies, pure looking labs and lab mixes, kelpies, cattle dogs, cross bred working style mixes, Pei crosses, pure GSDs, swfs, pure looking Cavaliers, pugs and pug crosses, a couple of whippets, pure looking JRTs and Tenties, pit bulls, byb am staffs, very rarely a nice type Staffordshire, boxers and boxer crosses, bull mastiff, and 2 Borzoi (mine, lol)