What Breeds Are Most Common In Your Area?

kelpiecuddles

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to know if the breeds I see are all local to my suburb, or if they have been brought here for exercise. I live near a large nature reserve with numerous pathways, popular with runners, cyclists and people walking their dogs.

The dogs I mostly see are Labradors, BC's, kelpies, JRT's, staffy crosses, ACD 's, various bitsas and 'oodles. I get a little excited when I see a less common breed for this area, like a nice Weimaraner, Great Dane, GSP, or another Boxer. smile.gif

quite a mix where I live. Lots of shih tzu crosses, cavvie crosses, poodle crosses and bull breed crosses, they're probably the most common, but also lots of working dogs, JRTs, and various purebreds too.

Edited by Kirislin

Guest Maeby Fünke

Labradors, kelpies, border collies, mixed breeds, some bull breeds and lots of Small White Fluffies.

eta

Semi-rural, coastal.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I'm in suburbia and in my street there's 3 Jack Russell's, a French Bulldog, a Bullmastiff who lives with a tiny poodle, two Staffies, a Rhodesian ridgeback x, a Cocker Spaniel and a German Shepherd. Houses backing on to ours have A SWF and another has a Border Collie. In close by streets I've seen a lab and a couple of kelpies. I know there's more dogs around because I hear them barking, I just never see them.

We are an allsorts type of neighbourhood. We have lots of little yappy crosses, a beagle, lots of bull breed crosses of various sizes, a Lab ( who unfortunately never leaves his yard), GSD crosses, a corgi and 3 Golden Retrievers ( one of them mine).

It is very rare to see a dog running loose, and it is really nice to be in an area where owners are so responsible with their dogs.

I don't know if our immediate nieghbours is any indication but there's

pedigree Whippets

BYB IG

Pedigree IG

Pedigree Lab

BYB ACD

3 x malti shits

2 x BYB Lab

1 x JR cross

1 x big Oodle

Pedigree SBT's

Pedigree GSP

2 x BYB Mal

3 x pedigree Dane

2 x what's supposed to be Aussie Bulldogs

1 x Kelpie cross

1 X Tenterfield (haven't asked where that one came from )

1 x American Buldog ( don't know where it came from )

Small community surrounded by farmland but there's a lot of pedigree dogs in town.

I live in a pretty nice area, which is a little island surrounded by less nice areas. In my suburb we have a lot of mini schnauzers, a lhasa, quite a few malamutes and huskies, a springer spaniel, a couple of labs. Surprisingly few designer dogs in my area, but the better areas of town have a heap of them.

If I venture to the parks outside of my area we see a lot of staffy mixes.

Rural so plenty of Kelpies, Cattle Dog, BC and mixes of those.

Then "Staffies" of all varieties, Jack Russels and crosses of.

And then I see Whippets, IG, Borzoi, Saluki, Greyhounds... seems to be a lot of hound types or maybe I just look for them?

Don't see many oodle types :thumbsup:

In my area it tends to be a lot of small to medium dogs, lots of oodles, SWFs, mini foxie JRT types, pugs, dachies, poms, beagles, staffies, border collies and the odd golden retriever or lab. Apart from the goldies and the dachies, almost all the purebreds are BYB looking, although their is an absolutely spectacular afghan in full show coat I see every now and then jogging along windsor road with its owner!

By contrast at our local obedience club there are a lot more purebreds and rescues. In my puppy class last night for eg there was a goldie, two labs and a chihuahua ... Not a pet shop fluffy in sight!

I am yet to see another cattle dog in my area. We have lots of SWF and small mix breeds. Apart from them the only ones I see regularly are a gorgeous but very, very fat bulldog that goes for a walk with his elderly owner every day, a lab that gets walked past most nights and my neighbours GSD. Yesterday a guy walked past with two Airedale Terriers as I was leaving for work - first time I have seen one up close!

The northern beaches is a cesspool of mongrels - mostly "oodles", pug, beagle or cavalier crosses. Everyone thinks they're a special snowflake so they own whatever the latest DD is - at the moment, it seems to be cavalier x poodles. It makes me sick. :mad

Very rarely do you see a well bred, reg dog here. However I have come across some lovely Lagottos, a Large Munsterlander, occasionally a Stafford without a brick for a head, British Bulldogs, etc.

Lots of oodles where I live, but also heaps of border collies and golden retrievers and beagles. At the dog park when I walk in the morning there are about 10 Goldies, my two Aussies and a couple of Heinz 57.

That said, my breed is starting to take over my neighborhood. There used to be three of us (my two and another) then in the last two years about 10 other people have added an Aussie to their family- after meeting ours! All from reputable breeders too which is awesome :)

It's hard to know if the breeds I see are all local to my suburb, or if they have been brought here for exercise. I live near a large nature reserve with numerous pathways, popular with runners, cyclists and people walking their dogs.

The dogs I mostly see are Labradors, BC's, kelpies, JRT's, staffy crosses, ACD 's, various bitsas and 'oodles. I get a little excited when I see a less common breed for this area, like a nice Weimaraner, Great Dane, GSP, or another Boxer. smile.gif

Me too. I was driving one day and passed someone walking a Brittany...I was so tempted to stop the car and say hello! But there was nowhere to pull over. :laugh:

Main ones here are bull breeds and crosses, heelers, kelpies, swfs, JRTs, BCs, oodles, and smaller numbers of other types.

Pit bulls and pit crosses dominate rescue and yards of the poor, quite a few hounds (Walkers, catahoulia, beagles, blue ticks, coon hounds), some Labs, chihuahuas, smattering of GSDs, Rottis, bloodhounds, currs, daschunds. It's legal to run deer with hounds here. I live on the edge of a hunting reserve, hence lots of hunting dogs. Florida is popular for retirement, hence lots of lap dogs. In neighborhoods with livestock, you find the LGD's (or donkeys) as protection from coyotes.