What Breeds Are Most Common In Your Area?

kelpiecuddles

In my Neighbourhood there are a few German Shepherds, Jack Russell and Mini Foxy types, a Cattle dog, Mini Poodle, Alaskan Malamutes, Dalmatians, Welsh Corgi, Springer Spaniel, Airedale and one oodle type dog.

The park where I take my dog for a walk is quite popular with other dog walkers. I've seen quite a few German Shepherds, swf, staffy and staffy crosses, Cattle dogs, Dachshunds, Mini Foxies, Chihuahuas, Welsh Corgis, Dalmatians, Labradors, Shar peis, Pig Dogs as well as a Keeshond, Newfoundland, Irish Wolfhound, Great Dane and a Rough Collie.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet nobody seen East-European Shepherd. ? Anyone!?

I think it would be hard to say since they look almost exactly the same as an oversized GSD and the trend for many breeds to become bigger and bigger might make it impossible to tell just by looking at them. You would need the owner to tell you, so most people would just call it a GSD or GSD x even if they did see one.

Are they a recognized breed here?

Edited by BlackJaq

We have an interesting mix around me. Probably at least half the dogs are staffy mixes and terrier mixes. But we also see a lot of beagles, labradors, cavaliers. Mine are the only schnauzers I've seen about, which surprises me - always thought they'd be more common, but maybe they are and just don't get out and about? There's a gorgeous Old English Sheepdog I see out for his daily walk as well as a standard poodle, two airedales, a west highland white terrier and just yesterday I saw a malanois puppy out for a stroll - such a cutie!!

I think it would be hard to say since they look almost exactly the same as an oversized GSD and the trend for many breeds to become bigger and bigger might make it impossible to tell just by looking at them. You would need the owner to tell you, so most people would just call it a GSD or GSD x even if they did see one.

Are they a recognized breed here?

Breed of East-European Shepherd is not recognized in Australia simply because as far as i know none of bread representatives in Australia.

I Can tell you they will be recognized. That bread is not a designer cross breads. Period.

Those dogs do not look the same as GSD.

My 4 months old puppy EES next to GSD

EESgsd.jpg

You right they are bigger. Have to be to carry on their duties as a modern working dog(Army, Police, Guard dogs)

4 months old EES guard dog with mature Labrador

ees3.jpg

Bottom line. Is anyone seen this kind around?

post-50328-0-27073200-1379591699_thumb.jpg

post-50328-0-51760900-1379592021_thumb.jpg

Bull breeds popular in Kalgoorlie. However rarely seen been taken for walk around. Noticed only one proud owner of GSD taking a noble evening walk.

Also, 20 to 30 years olds tend to get bulls, perhaps to embrace their personal ambitions as a fighters. Such is life. :)

Edited by Aleksandr

Perhaps they get them because they are mostly happy go lucky joys to be around. I know i got mine because everytime i met one they were wearing a big staffy grin and seemed to have a zest for life. thats just me though.

I don't think you're the only one that thinks like that Dave :D

Anyway, I took a look around my office this morning and realised that only two (of eleven people) don't have a dog/s, and also that the office really reflects the kind of dogs we have in our area- so here goes (names have been changed lol):

Kirst- has George, a Staffy, desexed, but with main reg papers;

Manda- no dog!

Lib- with her partner has a working Kelpie stud; they breed really lovely working dogs. Also Lib has a 'purebred' Bull-arab, Ellie, who's her own dog (the Kelpies are very much outside dogs).

Kas- An oodle called Lottie, desexed poodle x spaniel. Kas did have a beautiful Rough Collie (former show dog, retired when desexed) but she died about 3 years ago.

Marg- No dog, is a crazy cat lady :D

Bel- Has five dogs, four of which do hunt on weekends but are also pets-a Staghound x; Baxter, a Bull-arab (and a son of Ellie, above); a mastiff mix (huge); and two whippets (BYB).

Tars- Has Gus, a BYB staffie cross;

Hol- on a farm, has no house dogs but three working Kelpies who live outside;

Me- three dogs, Riva the Irish Setter and Leia the Ridgy (both on main papers and shown) and Rex, the Kelpie x Staffy

Mars- Patch the 'mini foxie'

Jo- Border Collie (BYB)

A big mix! Not many main-reg dogs around though, and I keep an eye out for them. One thing that did strike me about my list is that there are no labs there, but there are quite a few around here.

I do like in Canberra generally you see lots of purebred dogs. Lots of rescue crossbreds too which is nice, but good to see breeds as well.

I had a neckbraking sighting yesterday - a lady walking a nice Beagle and (wait for it... drumroll) a SUSSEX SPANIEL!! :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant:

I have an unidentifyable bully mix, too, and she is always smiling and happy to do anything at all.

I do not think I have seen any Eastern European Shepherds around but to be honest, I would probably assume they are a cross bred if I did see one. Husky x seem to happen regularly around here.

We have two more Weimaraners in town that I know of, but most purebreds I see around here are doing agility at my club, I don't see them much out and about walking.

We have lot of fat labs and some Borders and Kelpies, which are the main ones I have noticed being walked. Everything else seems to be bully x, SWF, sheepdog crosses and pigging types, bull arab and wolfy x

There may be more but I live out of town now and I mostly see the dogs that are being walked, which are very small in number comparea to the amount of dogs that actually live in town. I also see the ones that are just loose I guess, mostly neglected looking SWFs, JR x and bully or sheep dog types.

In my agility club there are Weimarners (including mine), a Vizsla, BC, Dalmatian, several Cavvies and some SWF and bully types (including mine), some labs (one is very reactive) and a Blue Heeler is looking to join, but he is so reactive he wears a muzzle now and Foxy has already received a beating off him (and the lab, too). Not sure what is in the beginner groups now as I am not currently in those, I think there is a Blue pedigree AmStaff but he is pretty poor looking example of the breed, though happy and friendly at least.

Not too many purebred GSDs that get to leave their yard around here, one was doing agility for a bit, but owner quit.

Edited by BlackJaq