Water Containers

Lasareina

My darling puppies have decided to rip to shreds the plastic tub we have been using as a water container (for the last 6 months with no issue :doh: ). Came home to find it in squares about 10 x 10 cm :mad It was one of the plastic crates you get from officeworks or the like for file storage etc. They also chewed holes in the back up mop bucket we used yesterday while trying to work out what to use next.

I am assuming they have started doing this as they are getting bored during the day while we are at work? I have read a few threads on boredom bustings and will try the ideas of freezing layers of water with mince in it, and maybe some kongs. They have not really shown much interest in toys before but if I hide food in them that migh be a different story I guess..

With it heating up up here in Qld I can't risk them continuing to destroy their water containers and having no water for the rest of the day so I am thinking need a metal or ceramic type container... any one have any suggestions? :shrug:

metal buckets duh ... I obviously was overthinking it, that seems so obvious now :laugh: ... I was thinking bath tub/sink?? metal drum cut down?? metal bucket so much simpler :o

I was really looking forward to getting them a clam shell to play in in summer but now I'm thinking they may try and eat it too!

I use large ceramic bowls as they are too heavy for my guys to play with, but I have pugs, not large dogs. They still manage to get IN the bowls though, or dig out all the water so there are several scattered throughout the house and outside :laugh:

I live on a farm so the dogs have multiple water sources, but the one closest to the house would probably be something that would suit you. It is a big ole rectangular (ceramic?) sink. We have it sitting on a base of bricks, it still has the drain attached so this allows for easy emptying when the plug is pulled.

I love it! It holds more than enough water for 5 dogs, it usually gets checked a couple of times a week, and i have never seen it below half way (even with the little terrier X using it for a swim!)

the water stays nice and cool because its ceramic

It's pretty dog proof

And its really easy to clean/ empty because of the drain and plug.

If I every move i will be either taking it with me or sourcing another.

If you are interested in one, I think we got ours at a second hand/ building place. But you could also try your local tip/ recycling centre.

Glazed pots from the garden centre. You can get the 'smaller' water garden pots. Too heavy for dogs to tip, not going to be chewed, keep the water cool, easy to clean out (though best to take the water to them and not them to the water).

I also use stainless steel buckets. You can sit them in a pot to make them more stable (it also helps keep them cooler).

Edited by espinay2

thanks foe the tips guys ... we actually have a really good recycling tip just down the road so might have a look for an old sink there ... or head to Bunnings and look for ceramic pots. I would like to have a few water sources scattered around so a combination might be the go :Dlaugh:

Big stainless metal cooking pots - the ones that are used for stocks and soups. They are good and solid, as well as being tall and narrow (but stable) meaning the dogs can't get their paws in to dig - not that MacDuff would even think of it as he believes his toes will drop off if they ever get wet. :)

Heavy concrete troughs here for outside use, they can be paddled in without fear of ever breaking. I have 3 in the yard for the big dogs, and a clam shell for the swimmers. Inside and in runs for those times they need to be locked up I have very large good quality stainless steel dishes.

The tastiest water at our house seems to be in the pot plants! We have a couple of plants and pots inside big indoor style pots that have no holes so they hold water and after it rains ooohhhh yummy! Doggy Cordial!

But seriously. Plastic perishes in the sun up here in QLD and for some reason I have an op shop close by that often sells large steel bowls. They are used (light scratches) but I have never had problems with them rusting. I buy them whenever I can for my place and for the Peiradise dogs.

Hey, I just saw where you live - the op shop I often find these bowls at is The Salvation Army at Loganholme, sort of behind that big Nutrimetics place.

My boy was having great fun tipping over, jumping in and allround playing with his water bowl, As he is alone most of the working day i needed to sort this out so I did the below

Bunnings shopping list:

Went to garden section and to the damaged / discount part, bought a large square clay/ceramic pot, it is about 20L capacity - $5

Went to the builders section and bought a bag of cement - $4

Went to the storage section and bought a tub that had straight sides and would fit inside the clay pot with a decent amount of space still in the pot - $4

Filled the pot with the mixed cement up to about half way, pressed the tub into the pot so it was just below level with the top, filled up the rest of the pot with cement securing the tub in place. let dry overnight, now I have a 25kg square pot with a removeable plastic inner that I fill with water each day

works a charm