Liver Cancer And Acute Infection In A 13 Year Old Maltese

Ruin Maniac

Hi everyone,

My childhood dog has been getting on in years - he lives with my parents, since he was too old to come here with me, having never travelled such a long distance. Over the course of six weeks, he's been losing his appetite and subsequently his body weight rapidly. He became lethargic and appeared to be depressed. The house he lives in was undergoing renovations when it started, and my parents thought at first that he just didn't like the noise or the change, but when the renovations stopped he didn't improve. He went to the vet, was diagnosed with a fever, had bloodwork done and was kept overnight for monitoring and fluids, since he hadn't been drinking. The bloodwork showed that he had an infection of some sort, he was prescribed antibiotics and sent home.

The antibiotic did not help, and my parents returned to the vet. He was given a stronger one. Still feverish, but nothing outwardly off and no signs other than a loss of appetite. Bloodwork was taken again. This time the vet said they suspected something was wrong with his liver.

Yesterday he had an ultrasound. It's cancer, and it's consumed a huge part of the organ. He has an infection that is somehow related (parents couldn't explain exactly how, but they were very upset when they spoke to me). The veterinarian said it was unlikely it could be operated on, and he already has an infection. Chemotherapy doesn't sound promising either.

I don't want him to be in pain, but I feel like he's too young for euthanasia. More than anything, I don't want to let him go at all. But I want to do what's best for him and the vet thinks it's the right course of action :(

He has pain medication and a warm bed, but he's not eating. I'm told by others that this probably means he is a lot of pain, even if he isn't showing it. My parents would prefer he stay at home, and that we take him if we notice he's no longer happy. But I'm not sure he is happy, and I don't want to prolong his suffering.

Is it kinder for us to give him his wings now?

This is really hard. I just feel like crying all the time. :cry:

I am really sorry Ruin :( It does sound like it is time to let him go.

As his liver isn't going to be working well toxins will be building up and he may start to have fits and seizures as the toxins effect the brain.

If he hasn't been having metrogyl, an antibiotic, you could ask to try that. Anything you try is only going to buy you a very short time though and it is always better to let them go a bit too early rather than too late.

I'm so sorry for you to be in this situation. :hug: Be guided by the vet. I do know if my dogs were not eating that would be a pretty good sign to me that it may be time to let them go gently. All the best to you, 13 good long years of a warm, loving home is what most dogs would want :heart: He's had a good innings.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone.

We followed the recommendation for the anti-biotic and he was put on some stronger painkillers. For a while he was perked up, eating and enjoying himself, jumping up to play sentry on the balcony whenever anything went by and we thought he might be okay for a while. Unfortunately he took a very serious turn for the worse yesterday.

My parents were kind enough to contact me and ask me what I wanted them to do. He was given his wings at 6:00 PM.

I wanted to be there so badly. I thought about booking a flight there today. But I thought I might just distress him as I am already a sopping mess and leaving Suleiman in the care of strangers while I'm in this state too would probably be very confusing and stressful for him. Even still, I feel really horrible for not being there. My parents cuddled him the whole time, and they said it was very peaceful.

I'm so sorry that he's gone, and so happy he's free of pain. It's a hard feeling.

Very sad for you and that you couldn't be there. He's free of pain now and had a life full of love.

Find a special photo and get it framed, plant something that's in bloom now and when it flowers next time, you'll think of him.

Allow yourself time to grieve and then you'll be able to look back on your memories of him.

Hugs to you.

Thank you, Dogmad.

I'll do just that, it sounds like a wonderful idea.

Suleiman is a great comfort to me, and knows something is wrong. He's been cuddling me, trying to engage me in play and even appears to be trying to share things. Hasn't stirred up any trouble that he normally attempts when he wants me to notice and is very quiet rather than super vocal. I'm not sure if I'd cope at all without his company right now.

• 2 weeks later...