I Don't Understand! Stopping Dogs From Barking

mixeduppup

I live in a street that is pretty dog heavy. We have 6. Our neighbours on one side have 3, the other neighbours have 5 and the people across the road have 6. As expected dogs bark. I have noticed something though. Apart from our neighbours with 3 dogs, we are the only people who tell our dogs to shut up and make sure they do. The other dogs bark non-stop when they're in the mood and no one ever says anything. I mean how can you listen to your dogs barking for up to 2 hours (with small breaks) and not say something. I know for a fact that they are home right now and their dogs are barking. Our house is pretty sound proof so I don't find it annoying but I don't understand the logic behind hearing your dogs bark constantly and not telling them to be quiet. Our dogs go to join in and we're on it straight away as I don't want them to annoy anyone. I guess I just don't understand the logic UGH!

Edited by mixeduppup

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a similar problem, most neighbours around us have dogs and some just bark on and off all day and even through the night, it doesn't bother me, I tune out to it and our house is fairly sound proof. However our dog wants to join in and I've let her in the day ( she sleeps on our bed at night so doesn't bark then) for short periods of time when I've been working in my office ( I work from home).

Here's the interesting bit, the lady with three dogs over the back fence told my husband that our dog keeps barking, he said "Your dogs do too". She said "Yes but I go out to work during the day so I can't stop mine, your wife works at home so she should stop her dog", which begs the question if she's not home how does she hear my dog barking. My husband said "Your dogs bark at night ours doesn't"..........and she said .....wait for it ........"But I'm asleep at night and don't hear them". :banghead:

So when it comes to dogs barking, it seems to be ok for some but not for others. :confused:

Edited by Alison03

I have no idea either, it drives me insane to listen to a dog bark for hours, non stop like the over the road still does, even when it is inside I can still hear it. At least my complaints to them seem to have stopped them just shoving it outside and letting it go on for hours and ignoring it.

I don't know how the rest of the people around here put up with it, I'm positive its been going on for quite some time, before I went and said something it was until 2am after 5 hours of baking incessantly and I do mean non stop no breaks almost every night and yes they were home the whole time.

I have never understood how some people can just ignore their dogs' excessive barking. How can it not bother them?

I think they only hear other people's dogs and are tuned out to their own. My other neighbour has a dog similar to mine who sounds just the same, I've gone outside to shout at my dog for barking, only to find my dog standing silently behind me looking confused. I tend to hear my dog and other people's too. Others dogs barking really doesn't bother me but for some reason I feel inconsiderate if my dog barks too much.

It's when neighbours dogs bark at night I wonder how they can sleep, because the barking is right next to their house. :confused:

Female Maremmas don't bark at all. :laugh:

My dogs bark to call me out, so I go out.

I investigate what they're barking at, and they wag their tails appreciatively.

Then I give them a pat, and tell how good they are.

They usually stop after that.

The Maremma sheepdog works in partnership.

In the 'burbs if the partnership is maintained they are easily managed.

At the times when the object of their barking is not passing on, I put them in their kennel/laundry.

I've gone out to my dogs at 2 in the morning and then kids at school have asked me what I was doing up at that hour. :laugh:

Edited by Tralee

Female Maremmas don't bark at all. :laugh:

My dogs bark to call me out, so I go out.

I investigate what they're barking at, and they wag their tails appreciatively.

Then I give them a pat, and tell how good they are.

They usually stop after that.

The Maremma sheepdog works in partnership.

In the 'burbs if the partnership is maintained they are easily managed.

At the times when the object of their barking is not passing on, I put them in their kennel/laundry.

I've gone out to my dogs at 2 in the morning and then kids at school have asked me what I was doing up at that hour. :laugh:

Mine tend to bark for a reason too and also appreciate it when I investigate. I did learn not to ignore them if they are carrying on as once I kept yelling at them to shut up and when I finally went out I found my nature strip on fire and the CFA putting it out! Sorry dogs.

I don't do barking dogs at all so that would drive me absolutely mental.

My dogs don't really bark but one them will go into a bit of fence war with the dog behind us but I call him inside immediately when that happens.

Yes, me too. Luckily my dog rarely barks. For a while our neighbours didn't realize we had a dog. He might bark once in 24 hours, if that. Pretty much he only barks if a stranger approaches our house, or if he spies a cat. A previous neighbour had a couple of little never-walked dogs who barked incessantly. Bruno never once barked back at them though.

I swear, he used to look at me sometimes as if to say "WTF is wrong with them?" :laugh:

I'm not claiming any credit though, he's just a quiet dog.

I can tune out to other peoples dogs, but if my own bark it really annoys the crap out of me!

I have one that will whine when I am training the other - he doesn't now- and at one stage I gave the people sitting near us a squirty bottle! Others peoples dogs bark and it barely registers!

I cannot understand how people can let their dogs bark for hours, how can they not hear it or it not wear thin after 8 hours straight!

Maybe they have industrial deafness MUP. I don't know but I agree, that there is no way I'd have our dogs barking up a storm like that and do nothing about it! Its pretty inconsiderate.

I don't understand people screaming and hollering and swearing at the dogs to shut up when they just give a couple barks when I walk past with my dog, they make more noise than the bloomin dog does laugh.gif

I agree! My dog Digby isn't at all worried about their barking dog but cringes when he hears their owners shouting at there dogs to be quiet. It's much more disturbing to the peace.

Found out the reason today is that there is a stray dog visiting our street and then running away as soon as it sees people. I understand the dogs having a bark but what i don't understand is people not telling them to be quiet. Our dogs tried to have a bark at it and I let them for a few seconds then told them it was ok and they haven't barked at it since and it's walked past our house a few times since. I'm with you OSS I don't mind other people's but mine aren't allowed it annoys me. I just don't understand how they could put up with it.

We had neighbours years ago who used to let their dog bark constantly. They never told it to be quiet or did anything with it.

Got to the stage where I would go over there at 3, 4 or 5 in the morning to tell them their dog was barking and please do something about it. I figured if I had to be awake listening to it, they could be woken up too. I was working shift work at that stage, so if I had a 6 am start, or had been on night shift and was trying to sleep during they day, I didn't appreciate listening to their dog barking non stop. Eventually they got the message and started putting it inside if it barked. I had to wake them up quite a few times though

My dogs only ever bark at people walking by with their dogs or if there is something disturbing them. When there are people walking by, I'll go out to stop it because Zeus runs from one sided gate to the other and follows them and their 'there's something here that shouldn't be' bark is different so I always go check.

I do always make sure I shut them up though.

A relative of mine once rang a neighbour up in the middle of the night, because his dog was barking he said "Hello neighbour were you asleep, I was too until your dog starting barking, just thought I'd let you know, I'll ring you tomorrow night if I hear it again". The neighbour had his dog sleep inside from then on. :laugh:

A relative of mine once rang a neighbour up in the middle of the night, because his dog was barking he said "Hello neighbour were you asleep, I was too until your dog starting barking, just thought I'd let you know, I'll ring you tomorrow night if I hear it again". The neighbour had his dog sleep inside from then on. :laugh:

Thats AWESOME :D

We have a neighbour with a GSD that just never. stops. barking.

We've spoken to him, again and again. We've even had to go so far as to complain to the council... but guess what... thats who he works for and nothing got done :(

Thats AWESOME :D

We have a neighbour with a GSD that just never. stops. barking.

We've spoken to him, again and again. We've even had to go so far as to complain to the council... but guess what... thats who he works for and nothing got done :(

Well feel free to use the "Hello neighbour" method, you've got every right too, you might be concerned for the dog because it keeps barking, eg "Hello neighbour your dogs been barking for hours is it OK". ;-)

We have five dogs here now and the only one who is allowed to bark is the Maremma, because that's his job. The size of the paddock he guards depends on which one the poultry are in obviously and he barks more in the bigger paddocks. When he is in a small or very small paddock he is almost completely quiet because it is easy to keep things out of it, being a small paddock and right next to the house.

Everyone else gets told to zip it or even squirted with the hose, unless we have a visitor, everybody goes bananas at visitors (being out of town it is rare for anybody to turn up here). Even when the Maremma barks the other dogs stay quiet now. They are not dumb, they learn what is on and what is not.

The last two years before we moved out of town we lived next door to two chained dogs whom I repeatedly had the urge to cave their heads in with a brick. You'd literally fart at night and they would go off for hours. Speaking to the guy was pointless because even though he was home all day, he was off his ass on drugs and mostly wouldn't even hear me knocking on the door.

Right after we moved, he moved, too. Go figure. I think that was the only time I ever seriously considered killing somebody's dogs in a violent and bloody fashion. (Council was useless, had no interest at all and OH knew the guy so I wasn't allowed to go blow up his mail box to send a message :p :p)