Possibly Moving To New Zealand - Import Cost Question

pixie_meg

Hi, long time since I've been on here.

We're considering moving to NZ and understand the requirements for importing Oberon to the country. We just got a quote for transportation of him via one transport company for $2150. Is there a way for me to bypass the transport company so long as i meet all the requirements. Also is this a typical quote? he is 38kg or so and a big dog and the cost included purchase of a crate. How much does the average crate cost? the company quoted for a crate of 110 cm (L) x 50 cm (W) x 85 cm (H).

thanks for any help.

That sounds not unreasonable for freight, but definitely shop around. Best quote (for everything) for a 5kg puppy was $1800!!!!!

When you arrive in NZ you will need to be able to prove Oberon has been your dog for quite some time or you will get hit for GST (15% of whatever value a customs officer chooses to put on him)

You might get hit even if you can prove it, depends a lot if the custom officer concerned decides you have imported him for "economic reasons". Entire dog = money making machine for many of them :mad

That sounds not unreasonable for freight, but definitely shop around. Best quote (for everything) for a 5kg puppy was $1800!!!!!

When you arrive in NZ you will need to be able to prove Oberon has been your dog for quite some time or you will get hit for GST (15% of whatever value a customs officer chooses to put on him)

You might get hit even if you can prove it, depends a lot if the custom officer concerned decides you have imported him for "economic reasons". Entire dog = money making machine for many of them :mad

Agree with this, and after seeing what happened recently with some friends who imported a desexed rescue dog I would always try and pre-clear any dog going to New Zealand if at all possible.

Honestly if that is everything including the NZ side it is quite a good price. I imported a 10kg dog 3mths ago and it cost me nearer to $3,000 all up. I wouldn't even consider trying to do it without an agent unless you are very experienced as if everything isn't done exactly right they will refuse your dog entry into the country

Try All Animal Transport in Brisbane. [email protected]. I have used them twice and found them most efficient.

They will give you all details plus quote. Vet work is around $400, I did the first vet then Mary did the rest.

NZ Customs are a pain and as previously said you need to prove length of ownership and pet only otherwise GST does come in

to it. They charge on value of dog plus freight. :D

It didn't include all vet work, just final inspection vet work. plus 3 days boarding which i don't think i need.

How do they determine value of dog? Oberon isn't desexed, I don't have intentions to breed but don't also feel the need to desex him.

How do they determine value of dog? Oberon isn't desexed, I don't have intentions to breed but don't also feel the need to desex him.

5+ years ago they had a list of what each breed was worth - taken from online trader sites (such as gumtree, in NZ the big one is Trademe)

No idea if they've improved that "system" or not. You could try saying Oberon is a slow hairy Greyhound - slow Greyhounds aren't "commercially" worth anything :laugh:

If you are moving to NZ and can prove he was your pet in Aust I don't think you have much to worry about, you shouldn't have to pay GST. As a breeder I have had considerable issues with Customs but have learnt sadly that there really is no arguing with them as they are holding your dog to ransom.

If it is seen that people are moving to NZ with their pets then the pets are treated as personal property and normally no GST is applied (Note: NZ GST is 15% based on NZ Customs valuation of dog (if they believe you may have underquoted) plus freight costs). Having said that if it is deemed that the pets are travelling and could be used for commercial purposes NZ Customs may impose GST, similarly to when dogs enter Australia from NZ.

I have known of pets entering NZ from Australia to be charged GST and these owners have then applied to Australian Customs for a GST refund. I am not sure how successful they have been though! The reverse has also occurred when dogs leave NZ on a dog that has previously paid GST when entering NZ that owners can claim back the GST component.

Edited by wayrod