Best Restraint?

rangermad

A note on what a 'loose' lead is. A 'loose' lead does not necessarily mean there is a loop in the lead. The slack can be taken up, but there should just be no tension or pressure on the lead.

People who ride horses may understand this - it is like 'light contact'.

However, if the dog is pulling your hand forward, or putting pressure on the lead so you feel the tension on the lead, that is pulling.

Yes, I like to keep a light contact on the lead so I can give a half parade if necessary :laugh:

half parade ? is that gaiting them? we attended our first show lesson last week and on the walk back past some builders who had eyed her off, I let her or is it me have a little practice lol

As others have said, your pup needs to learn to walk on a flat collar, but that doesn't happen overnight & I quite understand that in the meantime you will just want to go for pleasant walks. I can't speak highly enough of front attached harnesses like the SENS-ible one or Freedom No Pull, which up until today, Clean Run have had on their Free Shipping page for years :eek: They are magic :thumbsup: No pulling on the dogs nose or throat, they simply turn the dog back towards you as soon as he starts to pull.

Actually many of these restraints restrict the dog's freedom of front leg movement. I would not recommend any form of harness or restraint that crosses the dog's chest.

HW- when the front attaching harness is fitten properly it absolutely should not impede front leg movement?

A training tools purpose is to aid you in managing the dog/ pup WHILE you teach it the concepts of loose lead walking through whichever training techniques you choose to use. I very much like the technique tassie suggested in conjunction with other bits and pieces.

Edited by Cosmolo

HW- when the front attaching harness is fitten properly it absolutely should not impede front leg movement?

A training tools purpose is to aid you in managing the dog/ pup WHILE you teach it the concepts of loose lead walking through whichever training techniques you choose to use. I very much like the technique tassie suggested in conjunction with other bits and pieces.

If it fits across the shoulders, restriction is inevitable. Walking in these will impact gait.

If it fits across the shoulders, restriction is inevitable. Walking in these will impact gait.

My two border collies have been raised in these, & they certainly don't have an impacted gait. I only walk them in them, I take them off when they are running around...that is just common sense. I have found them great, & now both my dogs walk beautifully either in a flat collar or an ordinary harness. No problems here :)

• 2 weeks later...

I used a gentle leader style harness on my boy (now 8 month old lab) as he pulled a lot when using his car harness. Last week I took him away and whilst wearing his gentle leader sitting at a café (tethered with the lead to the leg of my chair) he managed to chew through it whilst I was eating breakfast. Since then I have just been using a flat collar and he is walking a LOT better. That said, I am still terrified that he will slip his collar (which he has done!). I find that he pulls less on his collar as he feels it more.