My Father's Dog Collapsed...?

Guest RosieFT

I just spoke to my dad and he is quite upset. Last night he took his Bichon out for her last walk of the night, she was walking along fine, then made a very slight asthma cough twice (she sometimes has wheezing/cough fits but not often), then he said she screamed in pain, then her legs just went out from under her and she collapsed. He tried to help her stand, but she couldn't/wouldn't so he carried her home where she seemed to recover.

He took her to the vet first thing this morning, it was a locum and not his usual vet. She gave her a thorough exam and manipulated joints etc and could find nothing obviously wrong.

He has been home with her today and his usual vet returns tomorrow, so depending how she goes, he will take her back.

She is not interested in treats and is keeping pretty quiet.

Any ideas?

Poor little thing :( Could be heart problems perhaps? Did the vet check the eyesight for signs of stroke? Hard to say if a thorough exam showed up nothing mechanically wrong. If an older dog it could very well be a stroke.

Good that your Dad took her to the vet straight away - I hope her regular vet can help explain and she improves.

Thanks guys, she was a puppy around the time Rosie was , perhaps a little older so she would be at the most, 6 yrs old.

Their last female bichon had what i thought was a seizure when I was looking after her while they were away, and it was misdiagnosed as epilepsy. Turned out she had heart problems and an enlarged heart, and all the complications stemmed from that. She ended up having to be put to sleep when the correct diagnosis was made.

My mum is very unwell at the moment and he has been caring for her, this is the last thing dad needs :-( He adores this dog.

Guest donatella

Someone recently posted an almost identical story last year and I wish I could remember who it was for you. I think it turned out this dog had a slipped disk or pinched nerve in its spine/neck.

Just spoke to dad, Lily seems to be much better. Ate her dinner and went to toilet normally. Still a bit quiet though.

Donatella, apparantly that was one of the vets theories, maybe a pinched nerve in back or neck, but couldn't find anything specific.

Thanks again.

Fingers crossed it was a one off.

Sounds like it could be FCE (spinal stroke) some dogs recover within min of it happening, some take months like my Smooch who took over six months and has never completly recovered from it.

My vet said FCE is getting more and more common for some reason.