Kentucky Woman Devoured

SkySoaringMagpie

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kentucky-woman-apparently-devoured-wolf-dogs-article-1.1467385

The skull, jawbone and thigh bone of a missing Kentucky woman were all that remained after she was most likely devoured by dozens of her pet wolf-dogs, authorities suspect.

Authorities found more than 50 of the canine hybrids roaming around Patricia Ritz's Fordsville property when they showed up for a welfare check, police said.

"All that we recovered were the skull, the jawbone and femur," Ohio County Sheriff David Thompson told the Daily News.

The canine hybrids were roaming all over Patricia Ritz's property — nearly all of them in need of veterinary care.

NBC NEWS

The canine hybrids were roaming all over Patricia Ritz's property — nearly all of them in need of veterinary care.

"There are teeth in the jawbone so hopefully pretty soon we will be able to properly identify her. We are 99 % this is going to be who we think it is but we need to wait for a proper identification."

Police went to the house after neighbors reported that they had not seen her for at least two weeks, he said.

"She was very ill," Thompson said. "She had been receiving some medication from local pharmacy. I suspect she fell ill but that (the cause of death) is something we will never know."

Some of the canines were caged. Others roamed freely. Authorities think the ravenous animals ate Patricia Ritz's remains.

NBC NEWS

Some of the canines were caged. Others roamed freely. Authorities think the ravenous animals ate Patricia Ritz's remains.

Some of the canines were caged. Others ran free. Most were underfed. Several lay dead. It appeared that the animals had little access to food or water.

"They were all really in need of vet care," Thompson said.

Animal Control worker Tracey Ward says that Patricia Ritz likely wanted to save all of the wolf-dogs but without spaying or neutering, they kept multiplying.

NBC NEWS

Animal Control worker Tracey Ward says that Patricia Ritz likely wanted to save all of the wolf-dogs but without spaying or neutering, they kept multiplying.

News of the death and leading theory that Ritz was eaten by her wolf-dogs was first reported by local NBC-affiliate WFIE.

Animal Control worker Tracey Ward told the station that Ritz probably wanted to care for the wolf-dogs but everything got out of hand as they increased in number.

"I think it was just one lady that really wanted to save them all," she said. "When you don't spay and neuter, they're going to breed. It's not going to be just one or two puppies. It's going to be seven, nine, 12."

Animal Control rounded up the wolf-dogs for veterinarian care. They hope to give the animals new homes at animal sanctuaries, according to WFIE.

One of the rules of going into a wolf enclosure. Never ever go in if you are hurt, ill, injured, or likely to flinch in pain etc. they have been known to take advantage. People have been killed before going into an enclosure on their own (has happened at least once in the US at a private wolf sanctuary when someone went in alone to feed them.)

Who knows what happened in this case. Whether her death was because of illness or because of the 'wolfdogs' . But yes, if hungry I have no doubt that eating her is what they would have done.

IMO this sounds like someone in over their head. Idealistically wanting to 'save them all' but with no real clue how to go about it safely. Shades of 'dog island' almost.

Edited by espinay2

If she was seriously ill, it's quite likely she died and was then eaten when her dogs got hungry enough.

Something similar actually happened in my suburb a few years ago- an elderly man died in his home, his mastiff cross was locked in the house with him. After a few days with no food, the dog did what most hungry dogs would do and started eating him. Police were called after he hadn't shown up at the Over 50s club for a week. In the end, the dog got put to sleep, a decision I've never quite understood- it's not like the dog hurt the man, it was doing only what it had to do to survive :shrug:

I don't know what's so surprising, the thought has crossed my mind.

Consequently, I haven't missed one feed in over eight years. :D

Joking about this is very bad taste

Did you think that was meant to be funny?

Two very serious issues, my death and the welfare of my dogs afterwards.

Unlike some, I try to consider all possible scenarios.

One of the rules of going into a wolf enclosure. Never ever go in if you are hurt, ill, injured, or likely to flinch in pain etc. they have been known to take advantage. People have been killed before going into an enclosure on their own (has happened at least once in the US at a private wolf sanctuary when someone went in alone to feed them.)

Who knows what happened in this case. Whether her death was because of illness or because of the 'wolfdogs' . But yes, if hungry I have no doubt that eating her is what they would have done.

IMO this sounds like someone in over their head. Idealistically wanting to 'save them all' but with no real clue how to go about it safely. Shades of 'dog island' almost.

This.

Wolf hybrids are not like other dogs. Their plight is a terrible one and not many pet homes will be able to deal with a hybrid, yet they are hugely popular in the US.

There are a lot of websites about them for anybody who is interested. I think a wolf hybrid would have a lot less inhibitions about eating a person, dead or live, than normal pet dog. Tripping and falling can be all it takes to kick off the prey drive and in a big pack like what she seems to have had roaming her property I honestly wouldn't be game to walk outside if I so much as had my period.

I'm somewhat amazed that the uncaged ones were contained on the property and unable to escape actually.

ETA: It appears this woman has had a long history of hoarding and abuse. I m not entirely certain that I hope she was dead when they decided to dine on her...

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/serial-dog-hoarder-patricia-ritz-eaten-starving-wolf-dogs-faced-animal-cruelty-charges

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/25/patricia-ritz-animal-abuser-eaten-dogs_n_3991508.html

There were also a lot of puppies and pregnant bitches slowly starving to death at this place and some dead animals were also found. Karma maybe?

ETA 2: I just cannot understand why people like this are not monitored. Would it not be cheaper to stop them from acquiring all these animals than to clean up after the shit hit the fan? Unbelievable!

Edited by BlackJaq

So is Monte Python.

Huh?

Humor, as a response to disgust, is a natural response. Think Dead Parrot. It's as stupid to slight people for making jokes in 'bad taste' as it is to make fun of someone for blushing.

So is Monte Python.

Huh?

Humor, as a response to disgust, is a natural response. Think Dead Parrot. It's as stupid to slight people for making jokes in 'bad taste' as it is to make fun of someone for blushing.

So if my friend got eaten by her dogs and someone cracked a joke about it then that would be OK? Just because people do it doesn't mean others can't be offended by it. The point is moot anyway as he said he wasn't being funny.

Edited by mixeduppup

One of my old students brought over her wolf/dog hybrid about 8 years ago and I remember her telling me how difficult it was and she had to build an enclosure. She said the temperaments were incredibly difficult, the photo made it look like a belgian shepherd cross

So is Monte Python.

Huh?

So if my friend got eaten by her dogs and someone cracked a joke about it then that would be OK? Just because people do it doesn't mean others can't be offended by it. The point is moot anyway as he said he wasn't being funny.

How do you know he was joking? His dogs probably would eat him if he died and they got hungry.