What Dog Book Are You Reading?

whitka

Im currently reading a book a called Show Dog by Josh Dean. It's about Jack the Australian shepherd and his owner and goes behind the scenes of the American dog show scene. Its a bit like Best in show but not as crazy :laugh: Im really enjoying it so far :)

So what dog book are you reading? Can be about anything dog related.

I'm reading "Inside of a dog - what dogs see, smell and know"

The answers will surprise and delight you as Alexandra Horowitz, a cognitive scientist, explains how dogs perceive their daily worlds, each other, and that other quirky animal, the human. Horowitz introduces the reader to dogs’ perceptual and cognitive abilities and then draws a picture of what it might be like to be a dog. What’s it like to be able to smell not just every bit of open food in the house but also to smell sadness in humans, or even the passage of time? How does a tiny dog manage to play successfully with a Great Dane? What is it like to hear the bodily vibrations of insects or the hum of a fluorescent light? Why must a person on a bicycle be chased? What’s it like to use your mouth as a hand? In short, what is it like for a dog to experience life from two feet off the ground, amidst the smells of the sidewalk, gazing at our ankles or knees?

Inside of a Dog explains these things and much more. The answers can be surprising—once we set aside our natural inclination to anthropomorphize dogs. Inside of a Dog also contains up-to-the-minute research—on dogs’ detection of disease, the secrets of their tails, and their skill at reading our attention—that Horowitz puts into useful context.

Although not a formal training guide, Inside of a Dog has practical application for dog lovers interested in understanding why their dogs do what they do. With a light touch and the weight of science behind her, Alexandra Horowitz examines the animal we think we know best but may actually understand the least. This book is as close as you can get to knowing about dogs without being a dog yourself.

I recently re-read the classic Jack London Yukon books - White Fang and Call of the Wild, I really recommend a read or revisit if you read it a long time ago.

Another fantastic book I read a couple of months ago is Winterdance - The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod by Greg Paulsen. It has some great laugh out loud moments and is a true story by an acclaimed novelist - Highly recommended!

Denise Fenzi & Deb Jones Dog Sports Skills - Developing Engagement & Relationship

Is it any good?

I'm about halfway through - and yes, I'm finding it very good - but then I like the approach of both the authors to training. I'm in the middle of an interesting discussion about stress.

Denise Fenzi & Deb Jones Dog Sports Skills - Developing Engagement & Relationship

Is it any good?

I'm about halfway through - and yes, I'm finding it very good - but then I like the approach of both the authors to training. I'm in the middle of an interesting discussion about stress.

I'm not that far into it yet, but what I have read is great. I have a dog with an injury atm (no trials for 4 maybe 6 wks) and I'm reading about recognising when there may be a problem with your dog. It's so relevant to our circumstances and I find I'm agreeing with everything I've read.

It's also very easy reading :thumbsup:

Guest Maeby Fünke

The answers will surprise and delight you as Alexandra Horowitz, a cognitive scientist, explains how dogs perceive their daily worlds, each other, and that other quirky animal, the human. Horowitz introduces the reader to dogs’ perceptual and cognitive abilities and then draws a picture of what it might be like to be a dog. What’s it like to be able to smell not just every bit of open food in the house but also to smell sadness in humans, or even the passage of time? How does a tiny dog manage to play successfully with a Great Dane? What is it like to hear the bodily vibrations of insects or the hum of a fluorescent light? Why must a person on a bicycle be chased? What’s it like to use your mouth as a hand? In short, what is it like for a dog to experience life from two feet off the ground, amidst the smells of the sidewalk, gazing at our ankles or knees?

Inside of a Dog explains these things and much more. The answers can be surprising—once we set aside our natural inclination to anthropomorphize dogs. Inside of a Dog also contains up-to-the-minute research—on dogs’ detection of disease, the secrets of their tails, and their skill at reading our attention—that Horowitz puts into useful context.

Although not a formal training guide, Inside of a Dog has practical application for dog lovers interested in understanding why their dogs do what they do. With a light touch and the weight of science behind her, Alexandra Horowitz examines the animal we think we know best but may actually understand the least. This book is as close as you can get to knowing about dogs without being a dog yourself.

This book sounds really interesting... I must write the name down before I forget!

Is it any good?

Is it any good?

I'm not that far into it yet, but what I have read is great. I have a dog with an injury atm (no trials for 4 maybe 6 wks) and I'm reading about recognising when there may be a problem with your dog. It's so relevant to our circumstances and I find I'm agreeing with everything I've read.

Awesome! Is there an excerpt somewhere? I'd like to have a quick look. (although I'm sure I will make the investment LOL)

The Chet and Bernie mystery series - told from the dog's perspective which sounds just too twee for words - but it works! Funny, interesting and insightful. They are written by Spencer Quinn

I love Chet and Bernie - I've just finished book 4 in Peggy Webb's ' Elvis ' mystery series - He's a Basset Hound who used to be Elvis Presley in his former life.

Is it any good?

Is it any good?

Awesome! Is there an excerpt somewhere? I'd like to have a quick look. (although I'm sure I will make the investment LOL)

If you Google it you'll find heaps of info :)

If you're doing any sort of competition with your dog it's definitely worth getting

Anne

Who's the author of this please?

I've just started reading "Thunder Dog - The true story of a blind man, his guide dog and the triumph of trust at ground zero". It's the story of Michael Hingson and his guide dog Roselle who were on the 78th floor of World Trade Centre Tower 1 when the plane hit on Sept 11 2001.