What Dog Book Are You Reading?

whitka

Please stop listing these books. Thanks to this thread, I have already bought three books and have started reading, and the last thing I need right now are dog books distracting me from my paying job.

OTOH, does anyone know of any really good books about sighthounds?

Please stop listing these books. Thanks to this thread, I have already bought three books and have started reading, and the last thing I need right now are dog books distracting me from my paying job.

OTOH, does anyone know of any really good books about sighthounds?

Constance Miller's "Gazehounds, the search for truth" is essential reading IMO.

Dutch Salmon's "Gazehounds and coursing" is also essential reading, even if you have no active interest in field coursing.

There are other sighthound compendium style books, and they are not bad, but these two would be my pick for the Sighthound family of dogs if I were trying to control my dog book acquisitions and looking for the biggest bang for my buck.

Most recent dog book, well, sort of, was a sci fi collection of short stories Resnick's Menagerie by Mike Resnick. Resnick, along with being a Hugo and Nebula award winning Sci Fi author, is a much titled breeder of rough collies, and, along with his wife, has run a mega-size boarding facility. He has an interesting take on animals in general.

Recently read 'Until Tuesday' by Luis Carlos Montalvan.

"A highly decorated captain in the U.S. Army, Luis Montalvan never backed down from a challenge during his two tours of duty in Iraq. After returning home from combat, however, his physical wounds and crippling post-traumatic stress disorder began to take their toll. He wondered if he would ever recover.

Then Luis met Tuesday, a sensitive golden retriever trained to assist the disabled. Tuesday had lived among prisoners and at a home for troubled boys, and he found it difficult to trust in or connect with a human being - until Luis.

Until Tuesday is the story of how two wounded warriors, who had given so much and suffered the consequences, found salvation in each other. It is a story about war and peace, injury and recovery, psychological wounds and spiritual restoration. But more than that, it is a story about the love between a man and dog, and how, together, they healed each other's souls."

Beautiful true story.

Warning: You will probably cry... more than once.

Recently read 'Until Tuesday' by Luis Carlos Montalvan.

"A highly decorated captain in the U.S. Army, Luis Montalvan never backed down from a challenge during his two tours of duty in Iraq. After returning home from combat, however, his physical wounds and crippling post-traumatic stress disorder began to take their toll. He wondered if he would ever recover.

Then Luis met Tuesday, a sensitive golden retriever trained to assist the disabled. Tuesday had lived among prisoners and at a home for troubled boys, and he found it difficult to trust in or connect with a human being - until Luis.

Until Tuesday is the story of how two wounded warriors, who had given so much and suffered the consequences, found salvation in each other. It is a story about war and peace, injury and recovery, psychological wounds and spiritual restoration. But more than that, it is a story about the love between a man and dog, and how, together, they healed each other's souls."

Beautiful true story.

Warning: You will probably cry... more than once.

This looks like a lovely story. I've just bought it (eBay) and now i'm waiting for it to arrive :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi does anyone have any suggestions for British Bulldog books i should get to prepare me for getting a Bulldog and to see if it the right breed for me in my circumstances

and also just puppy, dog books on training and whatnot that you read or reccommend highly I'm awaiting "Bulldogs For Dummies" as i've have experience with the "for dummies" series and find them great but as they're all different some may not be as good on the topic as others are on theirs so

im also looking to get these titles

My link i only seem to see great reviews of this book

Hi does anyone have any suggestions for British Bulldog books i should get to prepare me for getting a Bulldog and to see if it the right breed for me in my circumstances

and also just puppy, dog books on training and whatnot that you read or reccommend highly I'm awaiting "Bulldogs For Dummies" as i've have experience with the "for dummies" series and find them great but as they're all different some may not be as good on the topic as others are on theirs so

im also looking to get these titles

My link i only seem to see great reviews of this book

They were/are originally 2 books & I have both, signed copies, of them. You can download them for free from Dogstardaily.com if you don't already have them. You may have to join the site but it's free. It goes a bit over the top as far as how many people/dogs a puppy should meet but a lot of good advise given.

And just for fun watch this clip of a bulldog puppy having his 1st training lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_969380&feature=iv&src_vid=TJSGda3b3wA&v=TBvPaqMZyo8

I second "Winter Dance" by Gary Paulsen also "Shadow" by Michael Morpurgo

Training books? - especially for gundog owners I can't go passed "Dog Training with Mr Perks" - a book of cartoons by Bryn Parry

Edited by JRG