Inappropriate Breed Choice?

Steph M

Maybe post something on the HV thread on here as most of the breeders look at this page: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/105974-hungarian-vizslas/page__st__16020

There aren't many V breeders in OZ compared to other breeds but the breed is starting to crop up on Gumtree and also some not so reputable breeders (so called) on DOL… without the buyer doing the appropriate research they will end up with an unregistered pup… I've seen many icon_smile_mad.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell her to get a cat

Actually a cat would be perfect in an apartment or house with small courtyard. Even if you have a small dog they need to be exercised everyday, mine does and we have half an acre. I can't imagine a larger breed coping in such a small area, especially if the owners are out most nights.

I had in laws go through two big fluffy puppies, a cavoodle and a groodle, both very high energy, slightly loopy dogs, I'd never get one, if that's hybrid vigour I don't want it. However on the dogs side, the in laws had no idea how to train them, walking was once a week and more dog skiing than dog walking, consequently they hated walking them.

We don't live near them but once on a visit I got the groodle to walk at heel and generally behave itself, it was a very affectionate dog, no aggression at all, the in laws just couldn't (be bothered I suspect) replicate what I was doing. Needless to say that dog has disappeared "to a good home"

I just found out a family member is buying a rottie x GSD for her 12 year old to look after. They think they are dog people too, but they really have no idea what raising and training a large breed dog will entail. When they were told this they said no its ok the 12 year old is going to be entirely responsible for it :eek::banghead:

Can you keep a vizsla in a block of apartments? What happens if it barks?

Do you need permission from your neighbours?

Are they likely to give it?

My thoughts exactly. Not stated whether the apartment is to be bought or rented. Either way, the body corporate rules must be adhered to. If the apartment is to be rented, I doubt whether permission would be given for a large breed puppy. Unfortunately, some people get the wrong breed for the wrong situation and then the dog is the one who suffers through no fault of it's own. Selfish people.

I just found out a family member is buying a rottie x GSD for her 12 year old to look after. They think they are dog people too, but they really have no idea what raising and training a large breed dog will entail. When they were told this they said no its ok the 12 year old is going to be entirely responsible for it :eek::banghead:

"Entirely responsible" they must have a new breed of 12 year old, I haven't met one of those. :laugh:

Hope they are not in NSW as it won't even be legal for the kid to walk the dog alone for another 4 years.

I suggest that you have your friend contact the Hungarian Vizsla Club of NSW for an opportunity to get more information about the breed, breeders, etc. There is a comprehensive information pack that is sent out, and there is always someone willing to talk about how a Vizsla will fit their lifestyle (or not)

littleduck - there are unfortunately a LOT of breeders of HV's these days - a significant number of those who are unregistered and couldn't care less where they place their puppies. Even some of the registered ones are really not good. :mad

This breed is currently the subject of overpopularity, over breeding, puppy farmers, and inappropriate placement. Working co-operatively, the HVC NSW & HVC V rehome a growing number of dogs each year - more than 20 last year and so many more very young dogs. There are calls for help from people with Vizsla puppies not yet 4 months old - 'I can't cope'

so maybe you can get your friend to get in touch and get some 'information on breeders' - it will be so much more.

The problem is, it's really useless suggesting a person like this contacts the breed club, or visits shows, or does research. They get their mind set on course and go ahead, no matter what. All that happens is there's another half grown, untrained dog needing a home in the near future.

his is a problem, of course. Others see you with your dogs and think: Wow, aren't you lucky! Such happy and beautifully behaved dogs. They think the dogs were born that way and, as you say, cannot see or understand that you have put in all the groundwork to make the dogs that way.

A friends ex considered a Malinois because mine were so well behaved - her logic, it doesn't look so hard. This was a girl who could barely look after 3 siamese fighting fish at the same time without a lot of assistance. So one day I stopped commanding my dogs when she visited and gave them to go free command ... mind changed :laugh:

I had similar with my malinois - Envy was only 10 weeks old and my sister in law was giving her a cuddle and had spent about 10 seconds with her when she announced she wants one of this breed, what breed is it again? And okay, either one of these or a mastiff. A toss up between the two. She wasn't so keen on the malinois anymore after a few more minutes when she was being chewed :laugh:

We have some really lovely friends that we stay with when up in the North Island competing or attending seminars. Because of why we're up there, Elsie is normally pretty exhausted and well behaved when we're at their house. They said they are going to keep an eye out for collie/terrier mix litters and rescues, because they are SO well behaved compared to all their friends naughty golden retrievers!

I don't know if fostering any breed is a good idea.

When you take on a foster dog, it's probably more work than just adopting. Part of the point of fostering is to help iron out any behavioural issues and that involves time and commitment.

Greys do make amazing pets but.. personalities and energy levels vary a lot. I recently rehomed a gorgeous little girl who seemed to think she was some sort of working dog- miss a training session and she'd put her energy into other projects: digging like a maniac, chewing anything that wasn't bolted down (but also chewing things that were bolted down) and driving the other greyhounds batty by trying to annoy them into chasing her.

Even the more sedate greys can get up to mischief if they get bored/lonely enough.

I know what it's like to have friends and family go and do something like that. Not much you can do if you value the friendship because if you are too honest they probably won't listen and won't thank you for it.

Be prepared with advice when and if the puppy happens, if they are into vislas and weims share with her the health issues that they are affected by and encourage her to buy a healthy puppy as a starting point. If she approaches a responsible breeder, chances are they will interrogate her on how she plans to raise the puppy. Also ask what her plan is to toilet train a puppy when they are never home. Maybe tell her about stories you have heard or people you know with dogs that bark all day from boredom and are reported to council, dogs that wreck the yard, tear up the pot plants, kill the screen doors ect.

The problem is, it's really useless suggesting a person like this contacts the breed club, or visits shows, or does research. They get their mind set on course and go ahead, no matter what. All that happens is there's another half grown, untrained dog needing a home in the near future.

Not sure I agree. I know that there has been some success in deterring people like this by the HVCNSW

At least it's an attempt

We've been friends a long long time, and she does ask a lot of questions so perhaps I'll get lucky and if I drag her along by force then she can't say 'yeah yeah, will do' Haha.

Hopefully!

I don't know if fostering any breed is a good idea.

When you take on a foster dog, it's probably more work than just adopting. Part of the point of fostering is to help iron out any behavioural issues and that involves time and commitment.

Greys do make amazing pets but.. personalities and energy levels vary a lot. I recently rehomed a gorgeous little girl who seemed to think she was some sort of working dog- miss a training session and she'd put her energy into other projects: digging like a maniac, chewing anything that wasn't bolted down (but also chewing things that were bolted down) and driving the other greyhounds batty by trying to annoy them into chasing her.

Even the more sedate greys can get up to mischief if they get bored/lonely enough.

Definitely true, but at least if it comes down to the too hard basket hopefully it's a temp situation. It certainly isn't ideal but an intense baptism by fire I guess. I hope she'll just wake up and realise that it's a huge undertaking and her whole life would need an overhaul.

Personally I wish she'd got rid of the boyfriend and kept his dog but that's a whole other story. Haha.

• 6 months later...

Update for you all, they bought a house with a strip or grass for a yard, no wider than a footpath and so I loaned her Gus for a weekend with instructions for a long walk a day and he does like to be with people where possible. He ate their new lemon tree when she missed his walk, jumped all over the glass sliding doors when she left him out to watch TV in peace (seats face the backyard, so he was really being a jerk), left hair all over their new apartment, snuck up on the bed to est a bone, drank from the loo, ate the cat poop and licked her OH awake for a wee at 3am and nominated a spot under the kitchen window for his toilet on a warm day.

He was in peak teenage idiot mode, but that sure stopped her in her tracks. I pointed out that was just a weekend when she was home, and just because he does what you ask, IE; sits and drops doesn't make him easy to live with all the time. There's more to a puppy than commands.

Course at home he spends the day napping in the sun andbeing a gem. Had to laugh really.

They're thinking about a pug or an IG in about a year when they can take some leave and do some travel first and then commit some serious time to puppy raising.

Edited by Steph M

Have your say. Once.

Then leave it. There is nothing at all you can do. There are lots of people around like this. Just maybe they may turn out to be great dog owners. None of us were born expert & expert is debatable anyway. You can't control other people as stupid as their decisions may be. Annoying isn't it.

ETA Saw your post above. Great :thumbsup:

Edited by Christina

Update for you all, they bought a house with a strip or grass for a yard, no wider than a footpath and so I loaned her Gus for a weekend with instructions for a long walk a day and he does like to be with people where possible. He ate their new lemon tree when she missed his walk, jumped all over the glass sliding doors when she left him out to watch TV in peace (seats face the backyard, so he was really being a jerk), left hair all over their new apartment, snuck up on the bed to est a bone, drank from the loo, ate the cat poop and licked her OH awake for a wee at 3am and nominated a spot under the kitchen window for his toilet on a warm day.

He was in peak teenage idiot mode, but that sure stopped her in her tracks. I pointed out that was just a weekend when she was home, and just because he does what you ask, IE; sits and drops doesn't make him easy to live with all the time. There's more to a puppy than commands.

Course at home he spends the day napping in the sun andbeing a gem. Had to laugh really.

They're thinking about a pug or an IG in about a year when they can take some leave and do some travel first and then commit some serious time to puppy raising.

Wow! It's like he knew what he had to do :laugh: way to go Gussy you clever boy! Sounds like it opened there eyes a little :)