Man Charged Over Death Of Pomeranian

Rosetta

Of course we all have personal experiences that colour our perception. I have have had bad experiences with various types of dogs and funnily enough, the only near death experience I have had was horse riding along a road with small hobby farms, when a small dog who must have been hiding quietly in a bush, suddenly jumped up at my horse barking (obviously the fence was no obstacle for a dog that small) and the horse spooked sideways.

The dog kept following and jumping up at the horse, so it took me a few moments to regain control and we nearly got hit by a car that came around the corner. My horse will generally ignore barking and rushing dogs if there is fence between us and there was plenty of room between the fence and the road so there would not have been a problem if the dog had been contained on its property.. It didn't need to be big or even vicious to nearly kill me either

ETA: Obviously it is up to an owner to confine, train and control their dog, no matter the type of dog.

Edited by BlackJaq

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cattle dogs are the ones that scare me actually - the only dog that's had a go of me is the "loving family pet" cattle dog next door that runs up and down the fence line and tries to bit you through the fence. Got me on the face once as I was leaning down to secure the gate pin.

I have also met some lovely cattle dogs but I guess I am a little scarred from my ongoing experience with the ones next door. :(

Goes to show how easily prejudices can form - I am normally squarely in the 'blame the deed not the breed' camp!

I walk passed a woman every day who is heroically struggling with her blue cattle dog, while it tries to get at any dog it sees, it seems to have a problem with kids too.

She has what looks like a Halti on it with a band to stop its mouth opening too wide, I've never been inclined to get to close but that's what it looks like.

I have to give her marks for making an effort, much better than what she used to do, which was wrap the lead around a post and hang on while anxiously telling you to hurry passed.

I can see she's trying hard but the dog doesn't seem to be improving.

Of course we all have personal experiences that colour our perception. I have have had bad experiences with various types of dogs and funnily enough, the only near death experience I have had was horse riding along a road with small hobby farms, when a small dog who must have been hiding quietly in a bush, suddenly jumped up at my horse barking (obviously the fence was no obstacle for a dog that small) and the horse spooked sideways.

The dog kept following and jumping up at the horse, so it took me a few moments to regain control and we nearly got hit by a car that came around the corner. My horse will generally ignore barking and rushing dogs if there is fence between us and there was plenty of room between the fence and the road so there would not have been a problem if the dog had been contained on its property.. It didn't need to be big or even vicious to nearly kill me either

ETA: Obviously it is up to an owner to confine, train and control their dog, no matter the type of dog.

Sounds like you were very lucky! Its amazing how quickly the situation can go pear shaped when something unexpected like that happens. Those little fluffies are so stealthy they come out of nowhere!

We only ever used to have a problem with one German Shepherd when we went riding... luckily he wasn't sneaky at all... just used to come out the front gate and bark at us. My mare had ...a strong personality (ahem, cow) and she was more likely to put her ears back and chase him back in the gate then get a fright. The innocent little miniature cows calmly grazing in their paddock on the other hand... they were out to get her!

You have to wonder what the owner of the german shepherd was doing leaving his front gate open all day every day though... could have caused all types of bad situations.

That would have been really scary, those sudden explosive appearances would freak a horse out, well done for staying in the saddle. The dog is lucky it didn't get stamped on or turned into a sail dog (sailing through the air). My little dog just stands and stares when she sees a horse, a rabbit or a bird is a different story.