Ankc Breed Database

Airedaler

Some years ago I was able to buy a copy of the ANKC data of my breed. I tried a couple of years ago to buy an up to date copy but was told by the VCA they were longer available. I heard recently from an ex VCA office person that these were now available but there was a catch. I have no idea what that catch is or if in fact it is the case. Is anyone able to tell me if we can purchase these now? I will give the VCA a ring next week if I have time but thought someone here may know.

If you go to the DogsNSW web site, go to the "Member's Area" then "Member Information" then "Forms". There is a form called "Application for Data Extraction".

Complete that and email it to [email protected]

Their IT person will then email you advising the number of records and the cost. You then authorise her to proceed and debit your credit card. She then emails you the data extract in Excel format.

It contains dog rego number, name, DOB, registration date, colour, breeder name, breeder number, sire rego number, sire name, dam rego number and dam's name.

It's quite a simple process.

They asked me what I wanted specifically and I said name, dob, reg number, breeder. The reply came back that the info would not contain breeder but all other info would be included. $50 is their hourly charge for data extraction or searches etc but I guess technology is making searches easier? He said it would probably take a week to get it back to me because they have a fair bit on at the moment (Royal season is upon us).

They asked me what I wanted specifically and I said name, dob, reg number, breeder. The reply came back that the info would not contain breeder but all other info would be included. $50 is their hourly charge for data extraction or searches etc but I guess technology is making searches easier? He said it would probably take a week to get it back to me because they have a fair bit on at the moment (Royal season is upon us).

Matter is covered in ANKC Regs, Part 6, Section 1, Clause 1.1 Animal File, basically you get a quote and pay upfront and info is emailed or put on CD, you pay $5.50 for CD. This version of the reg came in in 2010

I have bought the breed database a number of times from Dogs Qld. Another breeder also recently bought a breed database last year I think. It depends I think on how many years/records it contains.

We have generally bought the database every two-three years and it has costed anywhere between $200 - $300. It comes in an excel spreadsheet. You do not get breeder's name or owner's name.

If you use breedmate, you will need to edit the spreadsheet to remove titles from all animals and put them in their own columns and save the file as a CSV file. You also need to then structure it in the default colums of breed mate (so if there are gaps or personal added columns, these get ignored. Then also create separate CSV files for Dogs, Sires and Dams and import into breedmate separately. If you import into breedmate as it is, it will stuff up the formatting and

You get:

Dogs Num Dogs Name Sex Date of Birth Reg Date Colour Sire Number Sire Name Colour Dam Number Dame Name Colour

2100258569 RIVERMAID TINTARA RED M 30/07/2007 22/10/2007 Red, White 2100110958 ROSELANI TALISKER O SKYE Black & White 2100089781 BOMACKAY SIMPLY RED Red, White

I have bought the breed database a number of times from Dogs Qld. Another breeder also recently bought a breed database last year I think. It depends I think on how many years/records it contains.

We have generally bought the database every two-three years and it has costed anywhere between $200 - $300. It comes in an excel spreadsheet. You do not get breeder's name or owner's name.

If you use breedmate, you will need to edit the spreadsheet to remove titles from all animals and put them in their own columns and save the file as a CSV file. You also need to then structure it in the default colums of breed mate (so if there are gaps or personal added columns, these get ignored. Then also create separate CSV files for Dogs, Sires and Dams and import into breedmate separately. If you import into breedmate as it is, it will stuff up the formatting and

You get:

Dogs Num Dogs Name Sex Date of Birth Reg Date Colour Sire Number Sire Name Colour Dam Number Dame Name Colour

2100258569 RIVERMAID TINTARA RED M 30/07/2007 22/10/2007 Red, White 2100110958 ROSELANI TALISKER O SKYE Black & White 2100089781 BOMACKAY SIMPLY RED Red, White

What a pain in the backside! It wouldn't take much of an investment to make all this data freely available on line, without need for a lot of cleaning before it could be used with breedmate or equivalent programs.

• 3 weeks later...

But then the state councils couldn't generate income from it.

The downside to user input databases are that they often aren't accurate. You take the info with a grain of salt. I've had issues with the chinese crested one out of Norway over the years but most of the time, people are honest with their input and it's a great source of information even if it can't be totally trusted.

The downside to user input databases are that they often aren't accurate. You take the info with a grain of salt. I've had issues with the chinese crested one out of Norway over the years but most of the time, people are honest with their input and it's a great source of information even if it can't be totally trusted.

State councils have to cover wages of staff who download data for member. What happened to access to ANKC database offered by NSW to its members that came and went very quickly a while back? Is it up again?

State councils have to cover wages of staff who download data for member. What happened to access to ANKC database offered by NSW to its members that came and went very quickly a while back? Is it up again?

It is up and running again :) I was under the impression that Victoria and QLD could access it now too via the online log in?

I have just received from Dogs NSW the national data base for my breed from 1/1/2000 to the present. The following information is included.

Animal no: Animal: Cnty Whelped: Breed: Sex: Dob: Reg date: Colour: Breeder no: Breeder name: Cnty/Export: Dam no: Dam: Sire no: Sire:

There are approximately 3000 records included in this and they charged me $165.00