Strangers Dog Went For My Face This Morning

jess5

I had a dog try to attack my face this morning while I was out walking.

It made contact with my forehead and nose and luckily didn't break any skin, but it was quite an aggressive attempt to bite my face.

Dog was on lead with his owner.

I had met this man and his dog yesterday while out walking and yesterday the dog had a muzzle on, but today there was no muzzle.

Yesterday I chatted with the man and his dog stood next to me and nuzzled me gently.

Owner said he wants a pat, and I asked if it was ok to pat.

Owner said yes no problem, he likes people just doesn't like other dogs.

So while we stood there I was patting him on his side and underneath his chin.

Today when I saw them again, chatted with owner, dog nuzzled me again, and owner again said he is after a pat.

So I patted dog again on his side for a minute and then slowly lent down a bit to pat him under his chin as I had yesterday.

Dog lunged at my face with teeth barred. Owner pulled dog back but not before its teeth made contact with my forehead and nose.

I got such a fright!

I felt my face wondering if it was bleeding and asked the owner he said no, its fine. He then said, oh my dog can be unpredictable.

Owner did not seem overly concerned and in fact did not say sorry until I said I am going to head home now.

I was pretty shaken up.

I am wondering if I did something wrong to cause the dog to react that way?

I was fairly slow in my movements toward the dog, like no sudden movements.

My face wasn't right up against the dogs face but I was leaning down close to it.

I am curious though if I did something I shouldn't have.

I have been around dogs all my life, I am generally comfortable around dogs and like to think respectful.

My last dog a rescue kelpie/shepherd mix I had from a pup. She was almost 17 years old when she passed away a few years ago.

I don't have a dog at the moment as I am renting and really miss having a dog.

I walk everyday and have made good friends with lots of dogs and their owners in my area and walk my neighbours dog when she is unable.

I am certainly no expert with dogs though and am happy to always learn more about dogs and their behaviour.

So what do the lovely DOL people think?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say you leant down to pat him.. did you squat next to him or lean over him? Leaning over dogs can be seen as threatening by dogs that are fearful or not too keen on people.

Still doesn't make it your fault though. The dog obviously has big issues if it will lunge at the face of someone trying to pat it. If the owner knew his dog was unpredictable he should never have allowed it to get to that point!

Guest Maeby Fünke

Sh*t, that must have been scary!

My first thought, when I read this...

"He then said, oh my dog can be unpredictable."

...Was that the dog has done this before. It sounds like the owner is in denial about his dog being aggressive by muzzling it only some of the time, his vague response to his dog's behaviour and his insensitivity to your experience.

Well that was my gut feeling anyway.

Personally, I would never bend down to pat a strange dog and I would never trust a dog owner who says their dog is friendly. It almost always turns out to be BS.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Thanks for your replies.

I was sort of half squatting, half leaning in, not really over the top of the dogs head more eye level. It was a large dog.

I guess I was thrown off a bit as the dog had been quite friendly the day before so I let my guard down I guess.

Most of the dogs in my area are very friendly but this has been a really good lesson for me to be more careful and also to be more mindful in the way I approach dogs.

I do try to be respectful of the dog and also the owner and always ask permission to approach or pat, but as you guys said some owners are delusional about their dogs!

I do love having contact with dogs, I get lots of doggy cuddles and kisses from the dogs I know, so I will stick to them from now on I think.

As I said though a very good lesson for me.

And it was scary! I came home and burst into tears.

Edited by jess5

Wow, if I owned that dog I would not be encouraging people to pat it :mad

One of my dogs is not too keen on being approached by strangers and can be picky about who he likes and dislikes (seemingly without any obvious differences like men, people with hats ect) but I never encourage people to pat him, it's just not necessary or worth the risk of something going pear shaped.

Hope you're ok, if you see the dog and owner again maybe you should let him know just how scared you felt and that the dog made contact with you (in case the owner missed that). Good chance he won't give a hoot but pointing it out means he has no excuse for being careless again.

Thanks again for the concern, I appreciate it.

Yes have had a cuppa No choccy yet though!

Do you really think I should report it? I am unsure.

While I don't think it was my fault entirely I do think I should have been more mindful.

Although on the other hand I think the owner needs to take more care as well.

While I don't think it was my fault entirely I do think I should have been more mindful.

It was definitely not your fault, whether you leant over the dog or not. If he knows his dog is unpredictable then he shouldn't be letting strangers have any interactions with the dog, particularly unmuzzled. What if you were a child or an older person with thinner skin?

I am ok thanks!

Moosepup I did think the same thing.

Perhaps if I see the owner again, I should say something to him?

Mention that it might be a good idea for him to muzzle the dog when out walking so that it doesn't happen to a child or older person.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Personally, I would report him. I think the owner needs someone like a ranger from the council to talk to him about his dog. I don't think he will listen to you or take it seriously.

I would report it because of the owner's reaction.

It's one thing if they seem totally stunned, worried, apologetic etc. You would have some faith that they would prevent it happening again.

But the fact that he seemed fairly unconcerned and said 'he can be unpredictable' indicates he's done it before and yet the owner still allowed you to put yourself in a position that could have resulted in injury.

If you were at eye level and made eye contact with the dog, it may have seen you are threatening. The dog was probably giving off stress signals that you and the dog owner did not recognise and it has finally you a warning snap. Lesson learnt never have your face at the dogs head level unless you know the dog really well. Dogs can snap just like horses can kick so if you are going to be around them you have to expect that things might happen and be careful to not put yourself in a position to get harmed.

A similar but much worse incident happened on a live news broadcast in the states a year or so ago when the newsreader was badly bitten and needed reconstructive surgery. She probably had her head closer than you did so sustained more damage. Everyone who knows dog behaviour could see this warning bite coming.

Both you and the dog owner need to learn a lot more about dog body language. Thankfully the owner was watching enough to snatch the dog away before it did any damage.

Personally I wouldn't report him. Hopefully he got a shock as well and will not put the dog in that position again. Put it down to experience that may one day save you from a much more serious dog bite.

Thanks again for the concern, I appreciate it.

Yes have had a cuppa No choccy yet though!

Do you really think I should report it? I am unsure.

Unless you know where the guy lives, they won't do anything about a random dog and owner and given that there are no marks on you and no witnesses if the guy was smart, he would deny that the incident occurred so probably not a report that would carry much weight anyway?

Having said that, the owner is an idiot allowing people to pat a snappy dog.......what was he thinking :mad

Personally i would never have placed my face so close when the dog has been wearing a muzzle & with a strange handler .

I think there is blame on both sides but certainly the gentleman needs to be more aware that his dog is reactive & the muzzle can make dogs feel more vulnerable at the best of times