Strangers Dog Went For My Face This Morning

jess5

Struggling to think of any circumstance- your "fault" or not- where it's an acceptable reaction for a pet dog to bite your face?

I'd ring local council and chat with the ranger(s).

I'd ask for advice in case you were in the same situation again.

Agree, not much you can do without name, address etc., but this may not be the first time this dog has hurt someone?

Owner's reaction shows he's in denial about his dog's behaviour.

For you: 20:20 vision in retrospect.

Easy to say now: Don't lean face near dog you don't know well, should have been wary as dog muzzled before etc.

I understand the urge to pat other's dogs, after both our dogs died earlier this year!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Struggling to think of any circumstance- your "fault" or not- where it's an acceptable reaction for a pet dog to bite your face?

True, but it's not like the dog was off leash and ran up lunging at the OP's face........the OP didn't need react with that dog and the situation could of easily been avoided. Can't say that I would stick my face into a strange dog's face like that in all honesty?

I would report it because of the owner's reaction.

It's one thing if they seem totally stunned, worried, apologetic etc. You would have some faith that they would prevent it happening again.

But the fact that he seemed fairly unconcerned and said 'he can be unpredictable' indicates he's done it before and yet the owner still allowed you to put yourself in a position that could have resulted in injury.

Thank you. I was pretty surprised by the owners reaction and do think he could have been more responsible.

However I have to own my part in this as well.

If you were at eye level and made eye contact with the dog, it may have seen you are threatening. The dog was probably giving off stress signals that you and the dog owner did not recognise and it has finally you a warning snap. Lesson learnt never have your face at the dogs head level unless you know the dog really well. Dogs can snap just like horses can kick so if you are going to be around them you have to expect that things might happen and be careful to not put yourself in a position to get harmed.

A similar but much worse incident happened on a live news broadcast in the states a year or so ago when the newsreader was badly bitten and needed reconstructive surgery. She probably had her head closer than you did so sustained more damage. Everyone who knows dog behaviour could see this warning bite coming.

Both you and the dog owner need to learn a lot more about dog body language. Thankfully the owner was watching enough to snatch the dog away before it did any damage.

Personally I wouldn't report him. Hopefully he got a shock as well and will not put the dog in that position again. Put it down to experience that may one day save you from a much more serious dog bite.

Thank you as well, I appreciate you taking time to give me some feedback, and it is duly noted.

Although I was surprised by the owners seemingly lack of care I think I will do what you suggest and put it down to a lesson learned that could have been much worse.

It's hard to know without having seen it whether the dog was giving off warning signals but I would expect a fairly stable pet dog to do a fair bit of avoiding and warning before it went for someone's face.

Possible the dog has been punished for giving warnings (growling, lip lifting etc) in the past so doesn't anymore and goes straight to snapping when it's not happy? Or possibly you and the owner did both miss the warnings.

Either way, the owner not only allowed you to pat the dog but encouraged you to, I really think he's responsible and he's lucky his dog didn't do more damage.

I agree with maybe talking to the council if they're interested so it's on their radar, and maybe if you see the guy again keeping your distance from the dog, being friendly but commenting that it does worry you that he's unpredictable and will go for people.

Showdog and poodle wrangler thanks for your comments as well.

My original post was to ask for advice so I could determine my part in this, and where I may have gone wrong.

Feel a bit silly, as it does seem very obvious now that I shouldn't of put my face so close to a dog I didn't know very well and one that had been muzzled the day before.

True, but it's not like the dog was off leash and ran up lunging at the OP's face........the OP didn't need react with that dog and the situation could of easily been avoided. Can't say that I would stick my face into a strange dog's face like that in all honesty?

What if a kid was walking past, their face around the same height as the dogs face, and the dog decided to for in for a snap?

I'd report it, if you have enough details.

My son was out jogging, as he ran past a guy with two dogs the one lunged and got him on the stomach. Ripped his shirt and broke skin, owner looked, shrugged and walked on. I've kicked myself for not doing anything, my son is 2m tall, what if it does it to a young child. How will you feel if you hear that next time a young girl is scarred for life? Maybe he'll keep it muzzled from now but might be worth reporting to council, it may not be the first time this has happened and at least there will be a history of the dog.

If you were at eye level and made eye contact with the dog, it may have seen you are threatening. The dog was probably giving off stress signals that you and the dog owner did not recognise and it has finally you a warning snap. Lesson learnt never have your face at the dogs head level unless you know the dog really well. Dogs can snap just like horses can kick so if you are going to be around them you have to expect that things might happen and be careful to not put yourself in a position to get harmed.

A similar but much worse incident happened on a live news broadcast in the states a year or so ago when the newsreader was badly bitten and needed reconstructive surgery. She probably had her head closer than you did so sustained more damage. Everyone who knows dog behaviour could see this warning bite coming.

Both you and the dog owner need to learn a lot more about dog body language. Thankfully the owner was watching enough to snatch the dog away before it did any damage.

Personally I wouldn't report him. Hopefully he got a shock as well and will not put the dog in that position again. Put it down to experience that may one day save you from a much more serious dog bite.

Wow, do you know what happened to the dog? How sad for the dog to be put into that situation and for the breed as a whole, some of the comments are revolting!

My dog gave a warning snap at a child one day when she was tied and a family went to mob her, but neither I or the dog had given any indication that they should approach her, not to mention in a large group with a young child running at her at full speed with his hand raised and screaming, while she was tied up and had no way to escape... I was inside the shop getting her a drink of water... She was purposely tied in an out of the way spot away from the front door...

So in that situation I did not think my dog was at fault at all but I certainly don't tie her anywhere unattended anymore, so I guess I learnt my lesson...

Being a dog savvy person, no you probably wouldn't. A lot of people are not as dog savvy and think dogs are there for patting and wouldn't know about not getting up close with strange dogs (not saying this is you jess, just speaking generally). It's the owner who knows his dogs and should prevent ANYONE from patting him knowing his unpredictability.

Unless the stranger went right up and got up in the dogs grille with no warning, it's entirely the owners fault. :shrug:

I would report it because of the owner's reaction.

I have to agree with this - or at least, as another poster suggested, have a talk to a ranger.

Considering you had patted the dog the previous day at, according to the owner, the dog's instigation, and when you saw them the second day, the owner again said his dog wanted a pat. I can't see that you did anything wrong.

The owner needs a wake up call, before his dog pays the price of his unconcern and lack of attention to or knowledge of his dog.

I am curious though: did you ask the owner why the dog was muzzled the first day, but not the second? If the owner is walking him with a muzzle, maybe he is unsure of the dog, hasn't had the dog for long, or has been ordered to muzzle the dog. Or what, I wonder?

Guest Maeby Fünke

Showdog and poodle wrangler thanks for your comments as well.

My original post was to ask for advice so I could determine my part in this, and where I may have gone wrong.

Feel a bit silly, as it does seem very obvious now that I shouldn't of put my face so close to a dog I didn't know very well and one that had been muzzled the day before.

Don't feel silly; these things happen to all of us :)

Hi Jess5, sorry to hear about your bad experience, its something you will never forget and could have lived without I'm sure.

I'm a bit bothered that the dog owner seemed to be encouraging you to pat his dog, its not like it was your idea. That was irresponsible of him as he admitted his dog was unpredictable. He knows his dog better than anyone.

I would ring your local council's animal control dept, even if you don't know the man's name and address, it's worth alerting them to what happened, as it may not be the first time. If it isn't and they know who he is, because he is on a muzzle order, it doesn't matter if he denies it, he'll still get a phone call or a visit, which will all go on record. . Always report this kind of incident, the next person he asks to pat his dog may not be so lucky.

It's alarming that he wasn't more concerned after the dog snapped at you, almost like it had happened before. : (

Edited by Alison03

While I don't think it was my fault entirely I do think I should have been more mindful.

Although on the other hand I think the owner needs to take more care as well.

It was definitely not your fault, whether you leant over the dog or not. If he knows his dog is unpredictable then he shouldn't be letting strangers have any interactions with the dog, particularly unmuzzled. What if you were a child or an older person with thinner skin?

I feel you certainly should. Next time it could be a kid or the owner could be distracted and real damage done. He needs to have a muzzle on it full time for everyone's sake.

Just wanted to let you all know that I spoke to the council yesterday.

They said that without a name or address for the owner they couldn't do anything.

They said if I had an address even they could go and pay a friendly visit but without that they had no recourse.

I did explain that I was at fault as well.

On my walk yesterday and today I didn't see the owner or his dog, but I think when I do I will have a casual friendly chat with him.

I will take responsibility for my part and just see what he has to say.

Thank you all for your concern I was quite touched.

Thank you all for your very sensible advice as well.

On my walks yesterday and today I received much doggie love and cuddles from the dogs I do know well around here, which was wonderful!

I think you have done well, but still don't believe you were at fault in any way :) .

Can you tell me where in Sydney you are, please? PM if you like.

I'm just curious because for the first time ever in my area, I saw a muzzled dog this morning while walking my dogs. I was just a few houses away from my place and I saw a dog rolling on the ground rubbing his face with the owner standing by - dog was on a lead of course.

As I crossed the road to my place, I was able to see better and saw that the dog was muzzled and I think he had probably been rubbing just trying to get the muzzle off.

I've no idea what breed the dog was except very solid like a taller, broader Stafford.

I really don't think you're 'at fault' as such. Maybe a little unwise to have your face so close... and maybe there was some body language from the dog you missed (but maybe not!) but when you're also having a conversation with someone, it can be easy to miss such things. It really it is the owner's responsibility and I do hope that they reflect on it and make some changes to the way they manage their dog.

If you don't know a dog never, ever, ever put your face right up to it's face, or be at eye height. The dog was probably fine until it perceived your challenge. Eye to eye is bad, at least look at the owner or to the side of the dog.

I have that problem at times, I've had people cup my Malinois' faces and stare right into their eyes which is bloody stupid to do to a dog you don't know, let alone a couple of the dogs I have. I can control my dogs, other dogs wouldn't tolerate it at all and would snap.

The old things people would be taught is never cup a dogs face, never stare it straight in the eyes and never put your face up to it's face because that is the reaction that can be elicited. I think we need to remind people of those lessons again.

If you don't know a dog never, ever, ever put your face right up to it's face, or be at eye height. The dog was probably fine until it perceived your challenge. Eye to eye is bad, at least look at the owner or to the side of the dog.

I have that problem at times, I've had people cup my Malinois' faces and stare right into their eyes which is bloody stupid to do to a dog you don't know, let alone a couple of the dogs I have. I can control my dogs, other dogs wouldn't tolerate it at all and would snap.

The old things people would be taught is never cup a dogs face, never stare it straight in the eyes and never put your face up to it's face because that is the reaction that can be elicited. I think we need to remind people of those lessons again.

Good advice. Years ago I was walking my Bull Terrier and was approached by a woman who asked if she could pat him. I said yes and she proceeded to drop to her knees cooing in a baby voice and cupped his face and kissed him on his nose. Just as I opened my mouth to tell her not to do that he freaked out and snapped at her. Lucky he only pinched her skin and didn't do any further damage. Honestly, who does that?

As soon as she dropped down I could see he was uncomfortable and that's when I tried to tell her to back off but she was so quick and I didn't have time to get the words out. He was normally friendly dog who enjoyed a pat from anyone but this was obviously too much for him, and fair enough too.

Good advice. Years ago I was walking my Bull Terrier and was approached by a woman who asked if she could pat him. I said yes and she proceeded to drop to her knees cooing in a baby voice and cupped his face and kissed him on his nose. Just as I opened my mouth to tell her not to do that he freaked out and snapped at her. Lucky he only pinched her skin and didn't do any further damage. Honestly, who does that?

As soon as she dropped down I could see he was uncomfortable and that's when I tried to tell her to back off but she was so quick and I didn't have time to get the words out. He was normally friendly dog who enjoyed a pat from anyone but this was obviously too much for him, and fair enough too.

I get this happening with my small dog, kids will get down on the floor with her and try to go face to face, I immediately pick her up so I can control how close they get. I can't count how many times I've said "Don't ever put your face close to a dogs face", in the early days I had a little girl run up, kneel down and start kissing my dogs face because she was just like G'ma's dog. I don't think my girl would snap but I don't want to take the chance, she does a fair amount of avoiding when she sees kids approaching, so I know she's not comfortable.

I remember being head butted by a dog when I was young, it's easily done, I just bent slightly to look at the dog and it jumped up at me. It's part of playing for some dogs I think.