Dog Found 18 Months After Being Euthanised

Boronia

I have a feeling someone is going to be in deep doo-da about this

http://www.courierma...2-1226730330985

Sasha the dog horrifies Townsville owners after she is found alive 18 months after being euthanised

328845-bc7bf01e-29cd-11e3-8b19-50b18379ccf2.jpg Marianne Wainwright, with her sons, James, 14, and Harry Ward, 8, were horrified to learn their 'dead' dog Sasha was still alive. Picture: Wesley Monts Source: News Limited

A TOWNSVILLE family who euthanised their vicious dog after it killed their chickens and mauled other dogs 18 months ago were horrified to learn it was still alive and attacking other animals last week.

Leigh Ward and his partner Marianne Wainwright made a difficult decision to put down their adopted bull mastiff cross, Sasha, at Greencross Vets in Woodlands last April out of fear she would attack their young children.

Mr Ward was shocked when Townsville City Council dog catchers called last week to say their dog, who was traced back to the family through her microchip, had mauled a dog and tried to attack other pets in Alice River last Wednesday night.

According to the death certificate issued by Greencross Vets, Sasha should have died on April 12.

Greencross Vets yesterday would not confirm the dog was euthanised last year and would not comment on details around the incident.

"Greencross Vets is aware a dog in the community is being investigated,'' a statement said.

"We are taking the incident very seriously and will do everything possible to help local police with their investigations.''

The dog is currently impounded at the RSPCA who confirmed the tan and white Bull Mastiff was the same dog through microchip details.

RSPCA did not know whether Sasha had been rehomed or if she was a stray.

Mr Ward said the aggressive and impulsive dog had previously tried to attack him and had the potential to seriously maim a young child.

"We wanted her put down for a reason, it wasn't that we didn't want her anymore, she was vicious,'' he said.

"When we were told she was still alive we thought it was some sort of mistake.

"She should be dead ... this would have been a lot worse if she had attacked someone else's child.''

Mr Ward owned Sasha for six months before she killed two chickens, mauled their Jack Russell and tried to attack family members.

"She should not be wandering around a neighbourhood,'' he said.

"She could be a lovable and smart dog but she would turn psycho every now and again. We are an animal loving family and the decision to put her down was extremely difficult.''

Deeragun officer in charge Acting Senior-Sergeant Ian Thomson said police had launched an investigation into Greencross Vets.

"We will work our way back and find out what has happened and see what offences have been committed,'' he said.

"There could be a myriad of stories as to what has happened and we will carry out an investigation.''

It is believed the animal will be destroyed this week.

Edited by Boronia

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet this happens more than we think. A vet or vet nurse feels sorry for a dog being put to sleep and rehomes it themselves. I still occasionally think about my Dane bitch when I was much younger. My boyfriend took her to be put down when her health problems started to take over her life and impact her badly. I was too young and weak to cope and didn't go nor did I bury the body. I still worry she was 'saved' and didn't get put down due to my weakness. I think he just dropped her off. God I feel bad now just thinking about how irresponsible I was. Never again will I, or did I, be so weak and irresponsible.

Someone at Greencross Vets thinks they are the Dog Whisperer me thinks. : (

They should watch his show, he has a number of dogs that are never to be rehomed, because they can't be trusted with livestock or children.

I've heard of this pretend PTS before, it was with a litter of puppies that a breeder left to be euthanized because they weren't show quality. Two of those puppies turned up at the pound when they escaped from their home and the pound rang the breeder. Oops. : )

Someone at Greencross Vets thinks they are the Dog Whisperer me thinks. : (

They should watch his show, he has a number of dogs that are never to be rehomed, because they can't be trusted with livestock or children.

I've heard of this pretend PTS before, it was with a litter of puppies that a breeder left to be euthanized because they weren't show quality. Two of those puppies turned up at the pound when they escaped from their home and the pound rang the breeder. Oops. : )

That type of thing sickens me :mad I can understand the difficulty in vet staff carrying out such a request and they should have refused to do so - but this particular case is not as excusable.

Someone is gonna lose their job over this. That is so bad! Every vet and vet nurse would occasionally feel like saving a dog that has to be euthed but that doesn't mean you act on that! It's not the vet's dog, it belongs to the person who signed the paperwork for euthanasia, whether they are present or not is irrelevant.

That type of thing sickens me :mad I can understand the difficulty in vet staff carrying out such a request and they should have refused to do so - but this particular case is not as excusable.

Refusing to do so and lying are two different things though. In the case above, it seems that the vet must have agreed to pts and then didn't do it. Totally inexcusable. I would imagine that more than one person would have been involved in the lie as well.

Deep do-do indeed, totally inexcusable :mad

I do feel for the family who made the hard and right decision to euth based on the temperament of their dog. But then to have it all dredged up again due to the failure of their wishes being carried out would be horrible :(

If the vet took the original owner's money to do the procedure, and then issued a false "death certificate" for same dog - then there is something seriously wrong happening at that clinic.

Seriously though - why did they not change over the microchip details before passing the dog on to the new owners? Or did someone from the clinic take it home themselves in the misguided beleif that they could contain it safely?

I reckon we'll never really know the full story here...

T.

I've known people to come into a clinic with a dog they want to euth and after a chat with the vet have surrendered it for potential rehoming instead. That's how it's meant to be done but if the family is sure then the vet staff have NO right to fraudulently claim the dog is dead, not only is it ethically wrong but illegal as well.

A friend of mine was a vet nurse for years in different practices and this kind of thing was not a rarity. Any puppies left by a breeder to be PTS, if they were healthy would be desexed and re homed to people who were in the know, it's a way of getting a purebred dog without paying the price.

Adult dogs were rehomed too, dogs left by family members to be euthanized after the owner had died for instance.