Dog Found 18 Months After Being Euthanised

Boronia

If the vet took the original owner's money to do the procedure, and then issued a false "death certificate" for same dog - then there is something seriously wrong happening at that clinic.

Seriously though - why did they not change over the microchip details before passing the dog on to the new owners? Or did someone from the clinic take it home themselves in the misguided beleif that they could contain it safely?

I reckon we'll never really know the full story here...

T.

The vet nurse I knew told me that the "dead" rehomed dogs were given away with strict instructions never to let them escape and always bring them back to them for any treatment. The recipients were made fully aware of what the rules were. Apparently it hardly ever goes pear shaped and when it does the vet seems to get out of it one way or another.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A hell of a lot of greyhounds are saved by vet nurses when being bought in for euthanasia, my own Maddie being one who thankfully the vet nurse thought was too sweet to die :( Having said that they are signed over by the trainers, if a trainer refuses then they are PTS. This story is terrible though :(

Dogs and cats are snuck out of the back doors of vet clinics all the time and the people doing it feel their decision to do so is justified because they are saving a life.

It's wrong on so many levels and no vet or vet nurse has the right to take an animal that has been presented for euthanasia and do anything but PTS.

If the clinic is not comfortable with PTS, then they need to speak up and refuse to carry out the procedure.

Dogs and cats are snuck out of the back doors of vet clinics all the time and the people doing it feel their decision to do so is justified because they are saving a life.

It's wrong on so many levels and no vet or vet nurse has the right to take an animal that has been presented for euthanasia and do anything but PTS.

If the clinic is not comfortable with PTS, then they need to speak up and refuse to carry out the procedure.

Exactly!

I've worked with a few bleeding hearts that have been pulled back into line and I'm so glad the vet stood by their ethics!

An owner does not need to explain to anyone why an animal is being presented for euthanasia.

I have worked in two vet hospitals. We have on occasion refused to euth, or said to the owner if you sign the dog over to is we will try to rehome the dog to a suitable home. Some said yes and we did others said no. We always had to do as the owner wanted or refused there is no way either of my bosses would have done dodgy things like that.

I know it's hard for some people to be with their dogs at the very end - but this sort of story (and the various comments made here by other vet clinic staff) makes it all the more necessary to suck up our own emotional pain and make sure that the right thing is done by us and the dog in question, yes?

We have enough bleeding heart cowboys out there calling themselves "rescue" - one would hope that our vet clinic staff would hopefully be above all of that "save it if it has a pulse" attitude. If the owner refuses to surrender the animal for rehoming, vet staff need to suck it up and do what has been paid for by the customer - it really IS that simple people. Vet staff (read the actual vet) can make the decision to refuse to take the money and perform the procedure... they do have that right... but if they have taken the money and then issued a fraudulent document saying that the procedure has been done, then they really need to pulled back into line by losing their license to practice.

T.

So awful.

The buck doesn't stop with some vet nurse. I think the AVA should be revoking licenses for this.

Signing a false death certificate sounds like felony-level malpractice to me, especially when the dog was being pts because it was vicious..

Not saying that the vets did the right thing but I wonder if the family explained why they wanted the dog PTS. If the vet was aware of the reason and still rehomed then that makes it so much worse.

You don't have to say why. If the vet doesn't want to PTS an animal that's their right but to take it and lie, not on in any way, shape or form.

Why are we blaming a vet nurse? It may well have beenthe vet.

If someone wants to refuse to PTS or negotiate to rehome an animal, thats fine. But to agree to PTS and then sneak an animal out the back door is reprehensible. Someone's head is going to roll at that clinic.

I have it on good authority that the dog was rehomed with informed consent and this is a media beat up - "don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story" type of thing. If the vets did the wrong thing then they should get in strife but if the Courier Mail is stretching the truth then it's unfair to condemn then based on a newspaper story. I wonder if they'll print the outcome of the police investigation.

I have it on good authority that the dog was rehomed with informed consent and this is a media beat up - "don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story" type of thing. If the vets did the wrong thing then they should get in strife but if the Courier Mail is stretching the truth then it's unfair to condemn then based on a newspaper story. I wonder if they'll print the outcome of the police investigation.

If this is the case, why were the microchip details not changed over?

No idea, Raineth, that's all I've got but the person who told me it is in a position to know and in my experience they are honest. Time will tell.

Edited to add: it wouldn't be the first time an animal has been transferred between owners and the microchip details weren't changed.

Edited by Working Dog Lover

Not saying that the vets did the right thing but I wonder if the family explained why they wanted the dog PTS. If the vet was aware of the reason and still rehomed then that makes it so much worse.

You don't have to say why. If the vet doesn't want to PTS an animal that's their right but to take it and lie, not on in any way, shape or form.

I know you don't have to say why - I was asking if in this case the vet was informed of the reason and as you say and I said earlier they could have refused.

I just saw the owner of this dog on Sunrise, she said she had to fill in a form saying why she wanted Sasha euthanized, she said she wrote down the dog was dangerous and had attacked livestock and family members. She wants to know where that form she filled in went. The vet told her this was the first time anything like this had happened at his surgery. No one mentioned anyone trying to talk her out of the PTS. In response to being asked did she still want Sasha put down, she said "Yes" she didn't want any other family being in danger from her. She seemed very certain about what should have happened and a little pissed off that it hadn't been done. The vet said the death certificate had been sent out by mistake.

This is a case of "he said, she said", it's hard to prove who said what at the time, I think this is how vets who do this kind of thing side step the issue.

Not the fist time and won't be the last unfortunately. This story will get interesting, the owner was interviewed this morning and seemed upset about the dog being alive. The owner paid for a dog to be PTS and it should have been. She said they signed a statement explaining why it was to be PTS and wants to know where that went.

The death certificate was shown on TV and signed by a vet - nothing else should matter.

I have no respect for any vet who would sign something and straight out lie to save their arse - they are paid to do a service and honesty is expected. Happens more than most people know..

"I have no respect for any vet who would sign something and straight out lie to save their arse - they are paid to do a service and honesty is expected. Happens more than most people know.."

Andisa you hit the nail on the head, I couldn't agree more.