Dog Found 18 Months After Being Euthanised

Boronia

Ive watched it on Sunrise as well.

They showed the death certificate and it was dated September 2013.

Small detail but I think perhaps the owner asked for it to be issued after getting a call from the pound?

Also - if you were going to put the dog to sleep, dog you loved as she said - wouldnt you stay with it while it was being put to sleep?

Maybe the vet said they couldn't, or suggested they don't ... if the vet's intention was to not euthenise the dog they probably had some sort of reason they could not stay with it.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having vets not euthanasing an animal is not unheard of, nor is vets doing an unauthorised post mortum on an animal that has been euthanased and left at the practice for disposal.

Vets, like all professionals need to be held accountable for their actions.

I can't say I agree with the actions but that seems like a much lesser crime to me?

(totally personal opinion and no offence meant, just an interesting quandary)

Having said that we've never had an animal PTS where the vets would have wanted an autopsy, but I can't imagine withholding consent if they asked. Particularly if they were to be disposed of by them and not taken home to bury.

But what about the euthanasia papers that the story said exists?

When I have had a dog pts, I have never received any "death certificate". Just the account. Think the "death certificate" may be a beat up too

Maybe the death certificate is what we know as the permission form?

No two different things. At least at clinics I've worked at. The permission form/consent form is usually what the vet keeps and the death certificate (or something like it) is basically a piece of paper signed by the vet that says they euthed a particular animal on a particular day that the owner can take home if they want it.

Always just received an itemised bill with euthanasia clearly on it. Never had a certificate or the like. Surely she has an itemised bill on record still [i kept all of mine going right back to over 15 years ago]

It still swings to the former owner's version because she has a death certificate signed by the vet. Of course he is going to try to save his arse to try to stop being deregistered.

Yep. Dodgy through and through.

Vet shouldn't have signed that certificate and owner should have stayed with dog while it was PTS.

I have had many animals PTS and have NEVER been told I couldn't be there to see it done. If I ever was, I wouldn't leave the animal.

Edited by Aussie3

Ive watched it on Sunrise as well.

Small detail but I think perhaps the owner asked for it to be issued after getting a call from the pound?

Also - if you were going to put the dog to sleep, dog you loved as she said - wouldnt you stay with it while it was being put to sleep?

Maybe the vet said they couldn't, or suggested they don't ... if the vet's intention was to not euthenise the dog they probably had some sort of reason they could not stay with it.

Ive held many dogs while being PTS as the owners could not bring themselves to be there. Sometimes because they were cowards but there were a few that very obviously adored their pets but just couldn't bring themselves to be there to see them pass. My own father loved our dogs so very much but could never be there for that. It was always mum and I who took them and me who held them while it was done as mum would break down. Even from the age of 9 I could hold it together until they were gone :(

I've seen people so hysterical that it was affecting the dog in a very negative manner and it would have been much better if they had have left.

The people also stated that they'd only had the dog for 6 months and it was an adult when they got it and had killed and attacked many of their animals so perhaps they weren't emotionally invested or had become detached due to its behaviour and the limited time they had owned it so didn't feel they needed to be there. I've also seen people who refuse to let their children be part of the euthanasia process and choose to leave the dog at the vet and take their kids home.

I actually have a "dead" foster greyhound at the moment and it's a been a huge headache. I wasn't aware that the dog in question was "dead", we actually pulled her from the RSPCA and on adoption, they gave us some paperwork. Paperwork included an incomplete DIER retirement form with names blacked out. Another trainer recognised some small details and we were able to track the registered trainer. On contacting them, we found out that they had dropped the dog off to be PTS, the vet surrendered the dog to the RSPCA who were aware the dog was basically stolen. Instead of contacting the registered trainer, they rehomed the dog twice (two failed placements) before we got her out. The trainer has agreed to her being rehomed, thankfully. I can't help but think this kind of thing is very common and it's one reason I'd never drop off and leave a failed dog at the vet.

Something isn't right here :confused: If the death certificate is dated last month, where is the declaration the dog was supposed to be PTS 18 months ago?

Goodness.

I completely understand wanting to save a dog if it is being brought in for euthanasia for ridiculous reasons, and I'm sure there are people that make excuses. But that doesn't mean you can just make the assumption. What if the dog is suffering? What if its a danger to people and their pets? Why would you be willing to save one life at the risk of making the animal or others suffer and even put other lives at risk? :mad

I gave my oldest friend his wings just this week. He needed them. I would be furious if anyone for a moment thought of "saving" him, unless they had a miracle cure for inoperable cancer up their sleeve.

It's like those idiot "rescuers" that rehome dangerous or special needs dogs without disclosing their history. I don't understand how anyone can get an "I did a good thing" kick out of that.

"It's like those idiot "rescuers" that rehome dangerous or special needs dogs without disclosing their history. I don't understand how anyone can get an "I did a good thing" kick out of that."

Does this really happen, it's a criminal thing to do, rehoming a dangerous dog with out warning the adopting family. That's like those dog owners that shrug off a biting issue until it's too late, they will accept any type of bad behavior and expect other people to accept it too.

It does happen Alison03... there are people out there who believe that if it has a pulse, it must be "saved"...

T.

Those "animals before humans" types no doubt, the ones who try to make us feel guilty about breathing air because we are so horrible we don't deserve it. As much as I prefer my dog to some people, I would never knowingly put another person in peril to try to save a dog that had proved itself to be dangerous. I've seen some episodes of the Dog Whisperer where he has done just that, tried to rehabilitate a dog and "encourage" a family to persevere with a dog they are obviously deathly afraid of, makes no sense to me at all. : (