Dog Found 18 Months After Being Euthanised

Boronia

My fave local clinic sold out to Greencross... I don't go there any more as the vets there now have it built into their KPI's to be making lots of profit margin for the company. The best vets that used to work there have left in disgust.

Luckily I found an even closer local vet clinic that has an awesome vet who really isn't all that interested in upselling products to boost his profit margin - it is all about what's best for the animals there. He reckons he doesn't have to be massively rich rather than earning a good enough living. He's not poor, but he's not rich either - he also loves his job.

T.

Edited by tdierikx

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that this has a lot to do with anything, but afaik, Greencross is owned by some vets, and is not franchised. But that information is a couple of years old, so it may have changed, but the idea was not to franchise the clinics.

Not that this has a lot to do with anything, but afaik, Greencross is owned by some vets, and is not franchised. But that information is a couple of years old, so it may have changed, but the idea was not to franchise the clinics.

Some are franchised, but their main aim is to just buy vet practices and take them over (they also do joint ventures and mergers).

Some are franchised, but their main aim is to just buy vet practices and take them over (they also do joint ventures and mergers).

They are obviously offering good money for existing practices, but I don't see as an operator or franchisee any benefits for a vet to run under Greencross other getting ripped off on franchise fees and sharing income with them. Vets are usually a local thing that sells service and gains reputation....having Greencross written on the front window will probably cause avoidance if they are ripping people off....what does a Vet chain have to offer anyone :confused:

Edited by Santo66

They are obviously offering good money for existing practices, but I don't see as an operator or franchisee any benefits for a vet to run under Greencross other getting ripped off on franchise fees and sharing income with them. Vets are usually a local thing that sells service and gains reputation....having Greencross written on the front window will probably cause avoidance if they are ripping people off....what does a Vet chain have to offer anyone :confused:

They are publicly listed... so probably stocks or dividends etc

And if it's the only vet in a local community people are going to use it because it's there.

Edited by minimax

Lots .... on paper. Why does any franchising organisation exist?

Not everyone is cut out to be a business man or woman, but they might want to, ostensibly, run their own business and be self-employed.

Of course, it depends on the franchise operation, but they generally provide advertising, sometimes an existing clientele, business training, commercial support, backup, etc etc etc.

Just because someone trains to be a vet, it doesn't necessarily follow that they are good with people, staff, animals even.

Lots .... on paper. Why does any franchising organisation exist?

Not everyone is cut out to be a business man or woman, but they might want to, ostensibly, run their own business and be self-employed.

Of course, it depends on the franchise operation, but they generally provide advertising, sometimes an existing clientele, business training, commercial support, backup, etc etc etc.

Just because someone trains to be a vet, it doesn't necessarily follow that they are good with people, staff, animals even.

What they don't factor into any franchises is the amount of extra clientele it takes to pay the franchise fees. There won't be too many vets in any one area and doesn't take too much for a private practice to be a bit cheaper, provide a better service for a franchised practice to loose business. I see that a private practice would be more profitable for the owner than a franchisee after the franchisor has taken their cut off the top?

And if you consider the advertising power of a franchise....................

I have been to three different green cross franchised vets.

One was a total disaster zone and contained the three most useless vets I have ever met along with the rudest "receptionist" imaginable

The other two had brilliant vets, the last one especially was a fantastic vet who did an amazing job with my bitch and didn't charge the earth either - for a 6pm-on-a-Sunday caesar.

What they don't factor into any franchises is the amount of extra clientele it takes to pay the franchise fees. There won't be too many vets in any one area and doesn't take too much for a private practice to be a bit cheaper, provide a better service for a franchised practice to loose business. I see that a private practice would be more profitable for the owner than a franchisee after the franchisor has taken their cut off the top?

I don't disagree with this, Santo66. You asked what a Vet Chain offered anyone -- I was merely listing a few of the things that some people would find attractive. Personally, I wouldn't touch a francise with a 40ft pole, but there are those who would see it as an answer to having their own business and, of course, there would be those who are blown away by the sales spiel and don't have the desire or ability to look at the "small print" very very carefully.