Crows/ravens And Puppies

Kirislin

We have crows around here. To be honest I have never thought or worried about them with my puppies.

The small birds tend to harrass them until they leave and my Adults would chase them if they got too close. I have lambs who have lost portions of their tales and of course eyes if they are very weak or recently deceased.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slightly off topic, but found it interesting :)

Crow or Raven?

That was interesting, I can't believe Ravens can live for up to 30 years! I've lost ducklings to crows before and Maggie has lost meaty bones to them but luckily nothing more than that. I think they're pretty opportunistic so I wouldn't put it past them to attempt stealing something beyond their capabilities.

I've had a large black crow visit, it used to sit on the back of a chair on my deck, but my resident bird killer (my shihtzu) chased it off by nearly knocking it off the back of the chair, gave it quiet a fright, I don't think the crow realized how high a small dog can jump. I haven't seen it since.

My aunty had a litter of corgi puppies outside at about 4-5 weeks old.

A crow took the eye out of one of the puppies.

The puppy had some problems. She was blind in the other eye, and then at 2 years old she started having seizures related to the trauma her brain received from an eye being pulled out. She was put to sleep.

My aunty was only the suburb next door to me, so I keep my pups in a covered run until they're about 6+ weeks.

I've had a large black crow visit, it used to sit on the back of a chair on my deck, but my resident bird killer (my shihtzu) chased it off by nearly knocking it off the back of the chair, gave it quiet a fright, I don't think the crow realized how high a small dog can jump. I haven't seen it since.

I hope Widget keeps this one at bay because I keep worrying about it hanging around.

My aunty had a litter of corgi puppies outside at about 4-5 weeks old.

A crow took the eye out of one of the puppies.

The puppy had some problems. She was blind in the other eye, and then at 2 years old she started having seizures related to the trauma her brain received from an eye being pulled out. She was put to sleep.

My aunty was only the suburb next door to me, so I keep my pups in a covered run until they're about 6+ weeks.

That's a horrible story. I would imagine corgi puppies at that age are still bigger than my almost 9 week old little girl. :( I'm worrying especially today because their owner is out at the moment and although he's arranged for someone to keep an eye on them they'll be on their own for a couple of hours. I hope they stay inside till their minder gets there. Edited by Kirislin

Australia has 5 native Corvidae species and one introduced species (that is very localised and often eradicated but reinvades). Of the natives - 2 are classified as ravens and 3 are crows. Its difficult to tell the difference - the reliable way is that the crows have white at the base of their feathers and ravens have grey - but unless you have one in the hand that ID is tricky laugh.gif Ravens in Australia also tend to be larger but thankfully there is little overlap in distribution of all of them. For example - in Sydney we only get the Australian Raven (no crows).

Australia has 5 native Corvidae species and one introduced species (that is very localised and often eradicated but reinvades). Of the natives - 2 are classified as ravens and 3 are crows. Its difficult to tell the difference - the reliable way is that the crows have white at the base of their feathers and ravens have grey - but unless you have one in the hand that ID is tricky laugh.gif Ravens in Australia also tend to be larger but thankfully there is little overlap in distribution of all of them. For example - in Sydney we only get the Australian Raven (no crows).

Why on Earth would be have an introduced species of crow!?!?!

Anyway, I was hoping you being the bird expert, and an Iggy person could tell me, is my tiny 1.7kg puppy at risk of being taken or attacked by a crow or raven?

Anyway, I was hoping you being the bird expert, and an Iggy person could tell me, is my tiny 1.7kg puppy at risk of being taken or attacked by a crow or raven?

Given the mother is there and pretty protective and the fact that there is more than one puppy and only one crow/raven I would say you have a very low percentage chance of your puppy being attacked.

I believe they are not intentional introductions but instead they hitch a ride on ships!

I wouldn't say that a crow/raven would never take a puppy, but I would think the chances are pretty low - they prefer to scavenge rather than take live prey. If you are concerned just supervise her outside till she gets a bit bigger or pop her in a covered run.

I believe they are not intentional introductions but instead they hitch a ride on ships!

I wouldn't say that a crow/raven would never take a puppy, but I would think the chances are pretty low - they prefer to scavenge rather than take live prey. If you are concerned just supervise her outside till she gets a bit bigger or pop her in a covered run.

I haven't got her yet and right now they're unsupervised although someone will be there soon. Even when people are there though, the puppies run outside to play and sometimes it's just the puppies out there. They're in and out all the time now, once they're awake, sometimes only for a couple of minutes but they pelt around like crazy.

I haven't got her yet and right now they're unsupervised although someone will be there soon. Even when people are there though, the puppies run outside to play and sometimes it's just the puppies out there. They're in and out all the time now, once they're awake, sometimes only for a couple of minutes but they pelt around like crazy.

I think with the number of puppies, not to mention mum around, they will be fine smile.gif

I'm glad to see that someone is as paranoid careful :D as I am ....... tiny little pups are so vulnerable even when they are Daisy Ninjas.

:laugh: that's so cute, and true! Maybe if her first name gets knocked back we can put that as our second preference. Roskyle Daisy Ninja. It's original anyway.

Fortunately our ravens are very friendly. Sully sleeps outside when it's sunny and, if he's too lazy to stop them, the ravens will fly down a few feet away and peck around, or steal some of his water or food if he brought any with him. The other day I left a bag of wool out so the birds could use it for nest making, but it was the ravens that were most comfortable coming down and taking their pick. One flew off with a piece almost as big as she was. Quite funny :)

They annoy me ... as when they find a delicious bit of dead something ... furred, scaled ..or feathered - one in particular (I call him Edgar Allan Crow) washes/soaks it in my frog pond! Yukky stuff floats around in there afterwards :/

I tried to get a photo of Edgar Allan with a chook egg the other day - rolled an egg onto the lawn... bent down, grabbed camera ..stood up ............. gone! Un co-operative beast, he is :p

Totally OT

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20072711-16645.html

We went on an epic family drive from Melbourne to Alice Springs and back (I'm still scarred by stories told by mum and grandma, but hey!) and a tour guide was telling us about this from his work up in QLD. Fascinating stuff! He'd seen parents teaching their young to do it too.

Edited by Steph M

In Tassie we only have ravens, not crows. But people still call them crows. Best way to make a Tasmanian zoologist explode? Call a raven a crow :laugh:

That goes for any zoologist/ornithologist. I have to remember not to automatically correct people. The other one is when tawny frogmouths get called owls. In the scheme of things it doesn't matter but I get too caught up in it.