Extreme Anxiety After Grooming

I have also posted this in the grooming section but thought I would post in here in case someone has had a foster with a similar issue.

Hershey is one of my beautiful ex foster dogs, (I foster for a rescue group in Canberra) who was adopted by a friend of mine. He has thrown up a few challenges along the way, but none so traumatic for my friend as the issue he has when being groomed. I was hoping someone in this discussion forum may have experienced anything similar and might have some advice on how to cope going forward. See below.

Thanks

Hershey is a beautiful cross-breed 6 year old dog with a thick woolly coat. We adopted him as a rescue dog 12 months ago and were aware early on that he becomes easily anxious when in pain or threatened. He is particularly wary about having his feet touched. We suspected that having his coat clipped would be a challenging experience, as he had probably only been clipped once and this was done under general anesthetic during his surgery to de-sex him (before we adopted him). We chose a dog groomer who had experience with rescue dogs, however Hershey became so frantic that she was unable to finish clipping him, even though he was muzzled.

We tried again 3 months later. This time Hershey was sedated and clipped by our vet. The vet advised that she could only do a short clip (as for surgery). Although his coat was short, Hershey returned to his usual self within 24 hours. We couldn’t have his coat clipped short over winter because he would be too cold, so it was 7 months until his next clip, again with the vet. His woolly coat was quite matted and the job was difficult. The result was a very short clip with some razor scrapes and raw areas. Over the next couple of days, Hershey was in constant distress. He curled up in his bed trembling and growled when people or our other dog tried to comfort him. We contacted the vet 3 days later and she prescribed sedatives to help calm his anxiety. These made him sleepy but he continued to tremble and growl. By now he had also developed a constant habit of flipping around to reach his tail and flapping his ears. He was still doing this a week after his clipping and had taken to hiding in cupboards for hours on end. He wouldn’t engage with us at all. However during this whole period he continued to eat, drink, poop and go on walks.

Exactly a week after his clipping we took Hershey back to the vet. Based on his usual nervous personality, she suspected that his behaviour was an anxious response to the procedure. She prescribed a series of steroid tablets to help relieve his physical discomfort (short hair and raw patches) and suggested behavioural modification tablets might be needed if his anxious behaviours didn’t stop. Thankfully, at this stage, nearly 2 weeks after being clipped, it seems that the steroids – or simply time – have helped relieve his physical and mental pain and he is starting to recover. He is now affectionate with us again and the frantic behaviours have reduced, though not yet gone.

We’re grateful to have Hershey “return” to us, but are worried about how to handle his next clipping which he will need before the summer heats up. However we are really wary about going through the sedation process again, not knowing whether his distress has been caused by the clipping process under sedation (being aware but unable to do anything?); the physical discomfort of really short hair and raw skin; or a combination of both.

Any thoughts or advice on similar experiences would be really appreciated.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How is he with his owners grooming him? I'm wondering if they could pay a good groomer to show them how to do a basic clip in their own home? Or, a proper groomer in a vet clinic where he can be sedated, rather than a nurse doing a shave off and burning him again.

I'm definitely not an expert but it sounds like a slow introduction to clipping might be a good idea. If his owners get a set of clippers and spend a few minutes on him each time with lots if treats and affection he'll start to get more used to it. There's plenty of YouTube clips on clipping out there.

There's no need to have the whole dog done in one go and leaving it 3 to 7 months between clipping is not going to help things improve. Also make sure he's being brushed regularly as well, this will make the clipping easier and get him used to that kind if attention. I'm guessing due to the matts that he might not be a fan of the brush either.

How is he with his owners grooming him? I'm wondering if they could pay a good groomer to show them how to do a basic clip in their own home? Or, a proper groomer in a vet clinic where he can be sedated, rather than a nurse doing a shave off and burning him again.

Thanks for your reply Clyde. The new owners have tried to brush him (he won't have it) I've also lent them my clippers so they could try and get him used to them, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Hershey was one of the most extreme cases of matting I have ever seen. I don't think Hershey had been shown much love in his life before arriving into foster care.. I suspect he'd been left to his own devices for 6 years and is

I suspect he'd never been brushed and clipped in his life. :(

Maybe he did have a burning sensation that was causing him great discomfort. Maybe the proper groomer in a vet clinic may be the way to.

Clyde's right, the raw areas are probably burns which would be very painful. I have groomer friends and they said it's vital that the blades are changed as they heat up and burn the dog.

Poor fellow. It may be possible to overcome his fears but it would need to be a very good and experienced groomer with patience. Unfortunately anyone can set themselves up as a groomer ...

Poor little guy.

as said above, doing little bits often is a lot better and less stressful ( for you and him!) than letting it get out of hand and doing it all at once.

Do you know if he is scared of the actual clippers themselves? Or is it just the 'threat' of pain that he is anticipating?

I think he needs to learn that grooming, not just clipping is a fun and great thing. That it isn't going to hurt.

If its the clippers scaring him, desensitising him to them slowly could work.

Eg. This may not work for him, but is an example I have seen somewhere. (Claiming no credit!)

- clippers off, let him approach them, no fuss is made. Feed him his dinner with clippers present, slowly moving them closer each meal.

- when he is happy to eat next to them without worrying, move clippers right back to starting point and turn them on. Repeat as before.

- when he is comfortable to be around the clippers, he him used to the turned off clippers being run over his body.

- when he is happy with that, build up to having the turned on clippers closer and closer to him. When you actually progress to clipping him, do a teeny tiny bit and reward him heavily.

Through the whole process make sure to reward him heaps, make it a fun 'game' and set him up to succeed.

If it is just the noise of the clippers, cotton wool in his ears may help.

Does he tolerate being patted/ stroked/ rubbed? With the grooming maybe start by 'grooming' him with your fingers/ hands. Progressing to a grooming glove and eventually a soft brush etc.

It sounds like whatever you do, it is going to be a long process. Breaking it up into little achieveable steps that he can 'win' at might help.

We tried again 3 months later. This time Hershey was sedated and clipped by our vet. The vet advised that she could only do a short clip (as for surgery). Although his coat was short, Hershey returned to his usual self within 24 hours. We couldn’t have his coat clipped short over winter because he would be too cold, so it was 7 months until his next clip, again with the vet. His woolly coat was quite matted and the job was difficult.

My guess is that the length of time between groomings is contributing to the issue.

Hershey needs a program of desensitisation to the process and the way to achieve that is to accustom him to the brush and to the clippers in short, frequent (think daily) sessions. Muzzle him if necessary.

If it is the sound of the clippers that freaks him out, then run them with a blade off around him every day.

No dog is going to deal well with a full clip off on a matted coat only twice a year or so - it makes for a very testing process.

Coat him next winter but I'd want him done at least once every two months.

Agree with other posters. Sounds like Hershey had clipper burn, which is extremely aggravating and itchy. Preferably use someone who specializes in traumatised dogs.

With our own rescue dogs that are matted and never been groomed, we teach them very slowly. Every day brush just for a few minutes (gradually increasing the time period) and reward with treat. Brush the dog on a grooming table and teach him to stand/stay - this will assist your groomer in the future.

If the dog hates a brush try combing him with large tooth comb and then move on to brush. I turn the clippers on (resting on the table) for a couple of seconds and then reward dog - keep repeating so the dog gets used to the sound of clippers. Once the dog is calm with the sound, groomer can start to clip. Make sure the groomer is using a quiet clipper like Andis Professional as some are quite noisy. Do this slowly over a period of time. Agree with HW, you need to be consistently grooming - I would be clipping every 6 weeks or so.

Edited by schnauzer

I had a dog with similar issues and solved it by simply using scissors which she didn't seem to worry about. I did it daily to begin with and just snipped the ends off here and there and eventually I was able to scissor her in one go. Obviously the potential to cut the dog is there but if you go about it slowly and just snip the ends it lowers the risk

thanks for your replies. Certainly some things for the new owners to try. Here are a few pictures of Hershey. He's certainly getting the love and attention he deserves now. He lives just in the next street from me so I get to see him often. :D

1st picture was when he was picked up and impounded

2nd picture after his desexing and i suspect his first ever groom

3rd picture in his loving new home.

He looks like 3 different dogs :eek:

post-9971-0-96397400-1380672086_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-57563500-1380672116_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-24732200-1380672133_thumb.jpg

Edited by CathyM

Such a cute little guy, hopefully he can overcome these grooming issues.

Considering he's reasonably small then scissors sound like a good idea, especially around the areas that are prone to knots and matting, neck, bum, armpits and feet

another vote for the scissors

I have had reason to tackle two dogs who were too matted for brushing to be comfortable for them, but I didn't want it to be a #1 clipped (with associated chance of clipper burns, dog feeling 'weird' with being able to feel everything so much more etc)

Both dogs accepted the scissors extremely well. When I first finished them they looked crap, as I am certainly no professional groomer - so they had tufts etc. But overall the coat was about 1cm long.

I then gave them a bath (much easier with virtually no coat) and tidied up any obvious tufts etc, and just needed to run a comb or light brush over them. Within a couple of weeks both dogs looked great and there was no stress or pressure.

I have had reason to tackle two dogs who were too matted for brushing to be comfortable for them, but I didn't want it to be a #1 clipped (with associated chance of clipper burns, dog feeling 'weird' with being able to feel everything so much more etc)

Both dogs accepted the scissors extremely well. When I first finished them they looked crap, as I am certainly no professional groomer - so they had tufts etc. But overall the coat was about 1cm long.

I then gave them a bath (much easier with virtually no coat) and tidied up any obvious tufts etc, and just needed to run a comb or light brush over them. Within a couple of weeks both dogs looked great and there was no stress or pressure.

The problem with scissoring only, is that if a rescue dog is "felted" to the skin, it is safer to clip the hair rather than scissor. A good groomer will never clipper burn a dog.

I am in Canberra and a groomer that would be happy to take the time needed to work with this dog if necessary.. I could also show owners the basics of grooming so that we don't get back to this situation again..

Highly recommend grooming every 4-6 weeks even during winter.. At least a bath and comb thru.

With a matted coat there is NO choice but to go short.. Should still not burn though..

Hot blades will burn the skin much like a men's shaving rash and becomes very sensitive.

If needed I would be happy to meet with the family and spend some time getting the dog's trust before even contemplating clipping the coat and may be able to find alternatives.

Maybe a thundershirt will help rather than medication.. I think we head for pills way too quickly..

Can PM me if you need .

I am in Canberra and a groomer that would be happy to take the time needed to work with this dog if necessary.. I could also show owners the basics of grooming so that we don't get back to this situation again..

Highly recommend grooming every 4-6 weeks even during winter.. At least a bath and comb thru.

With a matted coat there is NO choice but to go short.. Should still not burn though..

Hot blades will burn the skin much like a men's shaving rash and becomes very sensitive.

If needed I would be happy to meet with the family and spend some time getting the dog's trust before even contemplating clipping the coat and may be able to find alternatives.

Maybe a thundershirt will help rather than medication.. I think we head for pills way too quickly..

Can PM me if you need .

Hi Garnali,

That's a very kind offer indeed. :thumbsup: I will send Hershey's owner the link to this forum, so hopefully she'll pop in and have a look.

Thank you all very much for your tips and advicehopefully going forward they'll be able to ease his suffering at grooming time.

Cheers

Had another thought too that may be an issue for him..

At both the groomers and vet he is placed in a cage while waiting or recovering.. This in itself can cause great trauma to an anxious dog.. Does he crate sleep?? Could he be taught to crate sleep??

I teach all of my rescues/show dog/ pets to crate sleep.. It takes the angst out of vet stays and when they need to be confined for any reason... Mine will actively seek the crate when anxious.. No one is allowed to disturb the dogs in their crates and they come out when ready.. Much the same as climbing into your bed when you are exhausted.

The cupboard hiding sounds like he needs a place to 'switch off' from the world.. He is in essence finding his own way to block out the pain...

Was just a thought.. Again I am against meds for issues that can be resolved with education.

Had another thought too that may be an issue for him..

At both the groomers and vet he is placed in a cage while waiting or recovering.. This in itself can cause great trauma to an anxious dog.. Does he crate sleep?? Could he be taught to crate sleep??

I teach all of my rescues/show dog/ pets to crate sleep.. It takes the angst out of vet stays and when they need to be confined for any reason... Mine will actively seek the crate when anxious.. No one is allowed to disturb the dogs in their crates and they come out when ready.. Much the same as climbing into your bed when you are exhausted.

The cupboard hiding sounds like he needs a place to 'switch off' from the world.. He is in essence finding his own way to block out the pain...

Was just a thought.. Again I am against meds for issues that can be resolved with education.

Hershey's owners will sign up to DOL tonight. So hopefully she'll liaise with you, with further info on Hersh and hopefully the possibility of getting together and maybe coming up with a plan.

Thanks again Garnali and everyone formall your help. :)