Extreme Anxiety After Grooming

I used to share a house with a girl who had a long coated (are they called rough) collie. Its coat was immaculate, but she used to brush it every single day. It didn't take her long though, just 5 minutes or so, but she made it part of her daily routine. I think people have become too reliant on groomers these days. If it was my dog I'd be trying to overcome the fear issues with the brush and then get into the habit of doing it daily.

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I groom both my guys daily too. I find it is easier for me. Takes 10 mins tops. They are so used to it. As soon as they see me with my grooming bag they are at the table. One is on it & the other is sitting next to it waiting for her turn :)

Hi all - I'm Hershey's owner. Thank you for your comments. I agree that the physical discomfort of the short cut was probably a major factor in causing so much distress this time round, so the idea of being able to clip him at home in short bursts is one I'd like to try. It will be a fairly lengthy process to try to desensitise him but there are lots of good suggestions here that will help us. Hershey's rough life really comes in to play whenever he feels fear and pain which is both sad and frustrating for us. I wish we could just erase all his memories of his earlier life. Fortunately he is slowly recovering from his grooming trauma. He is still showing some anxiety induced behaviours but at least he seems to love us again!

Also another thing it may sound silly, but when I owned Old English Sheepdogs and clipped them I always told them how beautiful they looked after the clip and made a great fuss of them and did this for a few days because you would be surprised if I didn't do it you could see they would hide away.

Also I would also look at what blade they were using because to burn and cut with a clipper I wonder if they were using the blade they use when operating because that is taking him too short, we usually used a 5 even on a badly matted OES or Poodle when I was grooming and didnt' get burns or cuts.

I wouldn't suggest scissor that can do more damage if you don't know what you are doing also with a dog that isn't going to keep still.

Again regular grooming and using the correct tools is the only way to go.

Have to agree.. a 4 or 5 is much less likely to burn or damage coat..

Also poorly maintained clippers can overheat the blades..

Having just spent the last hour cleaning blades etc from a full days clipping I know it's not an easy task but makes for less skin damage..

Some people have different ideas.. for example one client that is coming in tomorrow has a schnauzer that she insists on clipping with a 10 and a 5 beard.. Looks like a scalded cat when done.. Pushing her towards a 7 or 5 and hopefully she will see the benefit..

I don't like scissor cuts either.. unless doing a show clip (Breed specific) I can manage even feet with clippers and it's quicker an easier..

Have offered to meet Hershey and owner so will update all when I see what responses Hershey has to clipper noise etc...

Have to agree.. a 4 or 5 is much less likely to burn or damage coat..

Also poorly maintained clippers can overheat the blades..

Having just spent the last hour cleaning blades etc from a full days clipping I know it's not an easy task but makes for less skin damage..

Some people have different ideas.. for example one client that is coming in tomorrow has a schnauzer that she insists on clipping with a 10 and a 5 beard.. Looks like a scalded cat when done.. Pushing her towards a 7 or 5 and hopefully she will see the benefit..

I don't like scissor cuts either.. unless doing a show clip (Breed specific) I can manage even feet with clippers and it's quicker an easier..

Have offered to meet Hershey and owner so will update all when I see what responses Hershey has to clipper noise etc...

Fantastic, thanks Garnali. I will be interested to hear what you think will be the best course of action for Hershey, and hopefully one day it won't be such a traumatic experience for Hershey and his family.

Just for a grooming prospective....

A lady came into the salon today.. Tells me to be careful as dog (cocker spaniel) has infected eye.. says dog has a few mats that need to come off.. Turns out dog hasn't been groomed for at least 12 months.. Ears are so matted (2 inch thick) that they are rotting flesh underneath.. Belly and back came off in one sheet and knots on legs like golf balls..

I started clipping at 10.30am and finished at 5 pm.. Dog had a break every half hour for about 5 minutes each time..

That's about 6 hours of grooming.. Poor dog .. I had tears in my eyes each time I came to an ouchy bit.. Yes I did mark the dog.. Despite my best efforts.. No blood.. just a scratch but I felt so guilty I rang the owner to let her know the minute it happened..

Owner arrived to collect the dog (5pm) and I had a large assortment of hair to show her.. She cried and I felt bad for giving her a serve.. Turns out she is probably worse off than the dog..

Moral of the story ?? Dog hates me.. Owner loves me.. Booking for 6 weeks time to hopefully make an easier job for the next groom and hopefully a happy dog..

Tomorrow is a new day.. Physically and mentally spent..

OMG garnali 6 hours....the poor pooche :( Knots the size of golf balls, jesus! Poor you as well. No wonder you were exhausted in ever way.

Dear O Dear. It sounds like the owner has her own set of issues as well. I feel for all concerned. Thank dog tomorrow is a new day indeed !!

What was the vet talking about when they were saying "behavioural modification tablets" ?? In the very early days of my failed foster's anxiety our local vet tried him on the equivalent of antidepressants which after a week actually made him so angry he was growling and snapping at us, at which point we stopped and slowed down our whole approach it sometimes happens apparently.

Is this what you were talking about? or is there something new on the market that assists with anxiety?

What was the vet talking about when they were saying "behavioural modification tablets" ?? In the very early days of my failed foster's anxiety our local vet tried him on the equivalent of antidepressants which after a week actually made him so angry he was growling and snapping at us, at which point we stopped and slowed down our whole approach it sometimes happens apparently.

Is this what you were talking about? or is there something new on the market that assists with anxiety?

Was it Xanax? I tried my dog on that and noticed it made him even more hyper. Apparently it is not an uncommon reaction at all.

Thank you Hershey and family for the meet and greet today..

Hershey is a spunky little man with an awesome attitude.. He looooves cheese and I think his treats will be the way to resolving his anxiety.. His coat is currently at about a #7 so must have been a #10 or shorter when done.. I will be aiming to maintain him in a #5 which will be easier on him..

On initial intro Hershey was reluctant to have his rear end touched a gave me a warning.. By the time I left he had rolled over for a belly scratch.. Hershey doesn't have a nasty bone in his body.. I think the desexing at a mature age has something to do with his problems...

He is an interesting breed mix too.. Think some dachshund combined with maybe a shitzu or Lhasa.. long head and ears but curly soft coat..

Hershey's family have some things to work on like crate sleeping, mild exposure to noises and positive rewards for calm behaviour. Dog training may also be on the cards.

Best of all I am happy to groom him in his own home at a pace that suits him.. No need for sedation etc just patience.

Fingers crossed that he can be the cute adoring boy that his family love..

He is a very interesting mix and I must say I could not pin point any specific breed when I rescued him, but like you said he's a spunky little man.

Thank you for seeing Hershey. I'm so glad we posted about Hershey's issue and thanks for coming to the rescue. I will look forward to hearing about Hershey's progress. :thumbsup:

Thank you Hershey and family for the meet and greet today..

Hershey is a spunky little man with an awesome attitude.. He looooves cheese and I think his treats will be the way to resolving his anxiety.. His coat is currently at about a #7 so must have been a #10 or shorter when done.. I will be aiming to maintain him in a #5 which will be easier on him..

On initial intro Hershey was reluctant to have his rear end touched a gave me a warning.. By the time I left he had rolled over for a belly scratch.. Hershey doesn't have a nasty bone in his body.. I think the desexing at a mature age has something to do with his problems...

He is an interesting breed mix too.. Think some dachshund combined with maybe a shitzu or Lhasa.. long head and ears but curly soft coat..

Hershey's family have some things to work on like crate sleeping, mild exposure to noises and positive rewards for calm behaviour. Dog training may also be on the cards.

Best of all I am happy to groom him in his own home at a pace that suits him.. No need for sedation etc just patience.

Fingers crossed that he can be the cute adoring boy that his family love..

A very kind offer Garnali.

When I encounter dogs who are frightened on the grooming table I do not clip them straight away.

I spend time (often up to a week) playing with them and using an old electric toothbrush.

The toothbrush makes a noise and vibrates similar to clippers - end result is a somewhat calmer dog on the grooming table.

xx LP xx

edited to add - I use this method for my rescue dogs and it works well.

Edited by lillypilly

• 2 months later...

A huge shout out to Garnali. I have just spoken to Hershey's owners, who was groomed today, by Garnali. ????????????????????. What an awesome job you have done. Hershey is home after being groomed without any anxiety and is sound asleep on the couch. Hershey's owners are so relieved that he was able to be groomed without sedation. A Great Leap Forward. Thankyou so much for coming to the rescue.

A huge shout out to Garnali. I have just spoken to Hershey's owners, who was groomed today, by Garnali. ????????????????????. What an awesome job you have done. Hershey is home after being groomed without any anxiety and is sound asleep on the couch. Hershey's owners are so relieved that he was able to be groomed without sedation. A Great Leap Forward. Thankyou so much for coming to the rescue.

well done Garnali!! That's brilliant news. :thumbsup: