How Much Did Your Pup Weigh At 8 Weeks?

sandgrubber

My Border Collies have been a average of 6-7kgs at 8 weeks with a few making 8kgs. The first puppy I bought was only 4kgs, the second 8kgs and another I bought in later, just 3kg. They all grew to normal size and puppy size is no predictor of final adult size. The size at 8 weeks depends on the size born as they gain a percentage of their birth weight per day. BC newborn puppies can vary from 120gms to 600gms depending on litter size and the lines.

My youngest GSD male was 4.8kg at 8 weeks the older one was 8.2kg. The smaller one as an adult is 36kg's the larger pup 42kg's.

A GSD at only 4.8kgs at 8 weeks - that isn't much more than my Whippet!

We ordered him from interstate and went over and picked him up......he was small and I thought he was younger than 8 weeks at first sight, but his paperwork all matched up?.

I've had a GSD pup that was around 3.5kg (tiny!) and another that was 10kg (huge!) at 8 weeks and lots in between.

Mine was 4.8kg so not the smallest ever :laugh: He looks small next to my older 69cm GSD but he is 64.5cms 36kg at 3 1/2 years old so probably more in size by the book, than oversize?

Edited by Santo66

My youngest GSD male was 4.8kg at 8 weeks the older one was 8.2kg. The smaller one as an adult is 36kg's the larger pup 42kg's.

A GSD at only 4.8kgs at 8 weeks - that isn't much more than my Whippet!

Sorry, double post.

Edited by Santo66

I hae a theory about whippets and I'm wondering if it will be the same with Italian greyhounds, I will soon be putting it to the test. It's that whatever their weight is at 9 weeks it will be half their (correct) adult weight. Obviously it doesn't work with larger breeds but in the 2 whippet litters I bred it worked. My puppy will be 9 weeks old on Saturday so I'll be getting the scales out for sure to test my theory.

I hae a theory about whippets and I'm wondering if it will be the same with Italian greyhounds, I will soon be putting it to the test. It's that whatever their weight is at 9 weeks it will be half their (correct) adult weight. Obviously it doesn't work with larger breeds but in the 2 whippet litters I bred it worked. My puppy will be 9 weeks old on Saturday so I'll be getting the scales out for sure to test my theory.

Oh interesting, Rommi is 11kgs now and I don't think she would have been 5.5 by 9weeks, I think she was around 3 or 3.5 at 8 weeks................will have to try and find it

I will double check what Wilson was as well

Edited by OSoSwift

I have a theory about whippets and I'm wondering if it will be the same with Italian greyhounds, I will soon be putting it to the test. It's that whatever their weight is at 9 weeks it will be half their (correct) adult weight. Obviously it doesn't work with larger breeds but in the 2 whippet litters I bred it worked. My puppy will be 9 weeks old on Saturday so I'll be getting the scales out for sure to test my theory.

Oh interesting, Rommi is 11kgs now and I don't think she would have been 5.5 by 9weeks, I think she was around 3 or 3.5 at 8 weeks................will have to try and find it

I will double check what Wilson was as well

I'll be curious to see what my puppy weighs today.

They grow at different rates too like at 6 weeks twist our Lowchen weighed almost 3kg her sister only weighs like 4 kg now but twist had alot more bone then her siblings and was always a chunky pup... she'd easily outweigh the boy who's being shown on bone mass alone...

It comes down to so many things, muscle, bone anything like those other pups may not have as good of conditioning as yours.. if your vets happy and your happy I wouldn't stress it.

I took my baby Newf to puppy pre-school at 10 weeks and he weighed 10 kilos, 11 weeks 11 kilos and so on and on and on! LOL It is so funny to see the weekly pics taken of puppy school where the other puppies stay close to their original size my boy looks like a time-lapse photo! Thankfully by 3 years old he seems to have stopped filling out and is now a respectable 62kgs!