Reporting Dogs To The Authorities

Agility Dogs

Had an interesting episode this morning, I went for an early morning walk as its going to be 39oC today. As I walked passed the local shops I saw a very elderly man on the other side of the road, standing outside the house where he lives, with him was an off leash Sheltie, the road was very busy with early morning traffic, the Sheltie saw my dog and shot into the middle of the road, I shouted to it "Go back" and pointed, it went back, amazingly. The old guy said "She doesn't usually do as she's told, well done". I'm not sure how all there he was, considering he had no reaction to his dog being narrowly missed by an alarmed lady in a four wheel drive. I called across to him to put a leash on his dog so it doesn't get knocked down, he said "Oh yes everyone says that, she'll be right, she's really fast". :dropjaw: . :banghead: :banghead:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought that I might get reported once at a leash free park. I don't usually use them but we were at BMX for my daughter and had one of the Bulldogs with us and I thought she'd enjoy a run and swim so in we went. I ran into my neighbours who have a large Bull breed cross pup and was chatting to them while our dogs were sniffing around (within 2 metres of us) and a couple entered with a Pom who ran full pelt at us as soon as she was let off lead. Without pause or hesitation this little dog leapt and grabbed my dog on the face and I was immediately reaching down to grab her when my dog pushed it into the ground with a lot of noise (those that have bulldogs know what I mean) and then released her immediately. The Pom had no marks on her but had been taught a good lesson however the owners were looking at me like I had a savage beast. They chased her around for a few minutes trying to catch her and once they did they left. Everyone who witnessed commented that the Pom was a little shit and was lucky that Simi isn't aggressive but only told it off, which is true but I didn't think its owners quite saw it that way.

"Oh yes everyone says that, she'll be right, she's really fast". :dropjaw: . :banghead: :banghead:

OMG, how about "put a leash on your dog so it doesn't cause a car crash"

That would be worth reporting as a road safety issue

Where I live is semi rural, there's a lot of retirees who are stuck in the old ways, like they lived on the farm, so lots of dogs off leash. Mostly well behaved, every now and then a dog runs in the road, with the odd sad accident.

Now I've got the choice of hoping the old guy got the lesson or report him and maybe they take his dog. : ) : )

I thought that I might get reported once at a leash free park. I don't usually use them but we were at BMX for my daughter and had one of the Bulldogs with us and I thought she'd enjoy a run and swim so in we went. I ran into my neighbours who have a large Bull breed cross pup and was chatting to them while our dogs were sniffing around (within 2 metres of us) and a couple entered with a Pom who ran full pelt at us as soon as she was let off lead. Without pause or hesitation this little dog leapt and grabbed my dog on the face and I was immediately reaching down to grab her when my dog pushed it into the ground with a lot of noise (those that have bulldogs know what I mean) and then released her immediately. The Pom had no marks on her but had been taught a good lesson however the owners were looking at me like I had a savage beast. They chased her around for a few minutes trying to catch her and once they did they left. Everyone who witnessed commented that the Pom was a little shit and was lucky that Simi isn't aggressive but only told it off, which is true but I didn't think its owners quite saw it that way.

Your dog didn't do anything wrong and you had witnesses. Even if they had reported you it would have come to nothing.

Your Simi taught that little dog a lesson it badly needed. : )

Your dog didn't do anything wrong and you had witnesses. Even if they had reported you it would have come to nothing.

Your Simi taught that little dog a lesson it badly needed. : )

I had something of a similar experience a long time ago. I was in an off leash park with my two Maltese and was chatting to a man who had three little terriers one of whom was the mum of the others. One of my dogs discovered a bone under a tree and I very quickly and loudly told her to drop it. The mother dog promptly grabbed Calypson by the scruff of the neck and held on. The man and I grabbed our dogs, expecting great puncture marks. Calypso was unhurt and totally unconcerned. The man and I were the shaken ones though :o:o It was obvious to me that the mother dog heard my tone of chastisement and her instincts took over.

"Oh yes everyone says that, she'll be right, she's really fast". :dropjaw: . :banghead: :banghead:

Where I live is semi rural, there's a lot of retirees who are stuck in the old ways, like they lived on the farm, so lots of dogs off leash. Mostly well behaved, every now and then a dog runs in the road, with the odd sad accident.

Now I've got the choice of hoping the old guy got the lesson or report him and maybe they take his dog. : ) : )

or maybe a life or two is saved from injury or worse.

You are making excuses for these people yet jump all over others.

or maybe a life or two is saved from injury or worse.

Yes I know I'm not being consistent, it's one of my weaknesses. I've had a big think about it while I've been working and I'm going to do the right thing and ring council before someone gets really hurt. Thanks for giving me a push. : )

To answer the original question - depends on the circumstances. A truly aggressive rush will always be reported and I expect the local ranger (depending on which Shire I am in at the time) to deal appropriately with the matter. I know my local bloke well and some of the ones from the neighbouring Shires. Mostly, they will always follow up the owners either with a visit or phone call or both. Whether it is a fine or a warning mostly depends on the attitude of the owners and of course whether or not it is a first offence.

Non-aggressive rushes and loose dogs I tend not to report if it is a first offence but there are serial offenders that do get reported, especially if a word with the owners has had no effect.

+1. Rules are for all or none.

I know no exceptions, I'll ring council and see if I can get hold of the nice animal control lady. A visit from them should do it.

Keep reporting the days and times the offending dogs are likely to be around - then the ranger can be there waiting for them...

T.

Actually, I've thought of that one! The dobermans usually walk early mornings, the mastiff late arvo, that maremma is usually on the lead now (that was a mongrel!). But... they vary a lot.

I keep waiting for the horses to stomp invading dogs, but the girls in the closest paddock are good. They mostly just look.

I guess my reply is a bit late, but I would install an offset strand of electrified high tensile wire on nose height on the outside and really juice it up. Like bull strength. Don't forget one of those little yellow electric fence signs ;) Cheap and, in my experience, highly effective.

Edited by BlackJaq

Keep reporting the days and times the offending dogs are likely to be around - then the ranger can be there waiting for them...

T.

Actually, I've thought of that one! The dobermans usually walk early mornings, the mastiff late arvo, that maremma is usually on the lead now (that was a mongrel!). But... they vary a lot.

I keep waiting for the horses to stomp invading dogs, but the girls in the closest paddock are good. They mostly just look.

I guess my reply is a bit late, but I would install an offset strand of electrified high tensile wire on nose height on the outside and really juice it up. Like bull strength. Don't forget one of those little yellow electric fence signs ;) Cheap and, in my experience, highly effective.

Actually, BlackJaq, that's what I did! I've got a good strong electric wire to keep my dogs off the fence, but I'd need to clear a lot of scrub to do the outside as well. I did, however, put a nose-height strand along the horse paddock. It seems to have worked really well on those dobermans! It's also zapped a couple of nuisance teenagers trying to come in and feed the horses. They can't read the signs :D

T.

Actually, BlackJaq, that's what I did! I've got a good strong electric wire to keep my dogs off the fence, but I'd need to clear a lot of scrub to do the outside as well. I did, however, put a nose-height strand along the horse paddock. It seems to have worked really well on those dobermans! It's also zapped a couple of nuisance teenagers trying to come in and feed the horses. They can't read the signs :D

Hope it was at crotch height, hit em where it hurts :grimace:

I dont think I would report anyone unless their dog actually hurt mine and their dog was at fault. There is a dog walker that walks her dogs in the offlead oval near my house. Yesterday she and another person helping her was there with 10 little dogs. As I walked around the outside of the oval, two of the little dogs escaped under the gate rushing agressively at my old GSP. It really annoyed me because if it had been my large dog rushing at them I would have been the worst person in the world. The dog walker just called them back and walked away. Most of the other little dogs then proceeded to bark and growl at my dogs as they walked passed on the outside of the fence. If she had said sorry to me I would have probably ignored it, but because she thought it was okay, I told her that I would report her if they ever did that again.

T.

Hope it was at crotch height, hit em where it hurts :grimace:

He he. The crotch height fence seems to have worked on the dad who would lift his kids over the fence so they could play in my paddock. Ok, so it's about 90cms high and on the inside, but I haven't seen him lately...