Schipperke

Troy

Schipperke

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/Breed_Details.aspx?bid=198 )

Group: Group 7 (Non Sporting)

General Appearance: Small cobby active dog, with sharp foxy expression.

Characteristics: Intensely lively and alert.

Temperament: Amenable, intelligent and faithful.

Head And Skull: Skull not round, but fairly broad, flat, with little stop. Muzzle moderate in length, fine but not weak, well filled under eyes. Nose black and small.

Eyes: Dark brown, more oval than round, not full; bright, most expressive.

Ears: Moderate length, not too broad at base, tapering to a point. Carried stiffly erect and strong enough not to be bent otherwise than lengthways.

Mouth: Jaws strong, with perfect regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. the upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck: Strong and full, rather short, set broad on shoulders, slightly arched.

Forequarters: Shoulders muscular and sloping. Legs perfectly straight, well under the body, bone in proportion to the body.

Body: Chest broad and deep in brisket. Back short, straight and strong. Loins powerful, well drawn up from brisket.

Hindquarters: Lighter compared with forequarters but with muscular and well-developed thighs and well rounded rump. Legs strong, muscular, hocks well let down.

Feet: Small, cat-like, and standing well on the toes.

Tail: Previously customarily docked. May be born tailless or with partial length of full tail.

Docked: Very short

Naturally tailless: No discernible tail.

Undocked: Full length tail tightly curled, carried over the back, well covered with hair.

Fully coated partial length tail permissible but not desirable.

Gait/Movement: Short, brisk stride, moving true fore and aft.

Coat: Abundant, dense and harsh; smooth on head, ears and legs; lying close on back and side; erect and thick round neck, forming a mane and frill; with good culottes on the back of thighs.

Colour: Usually black but other whole colours permissible.

Sizes: Weight: about 5.5-7.5 kgs (12-16 lbs)

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

Yayy, thank you Troy! :dancingelephant:

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc) First time owner

2. Where and why was the breed first developed? As far as I understand they were used in Belgium on the barges as both a guard dog and rat catcher, however there is much debate as to wether or not the schip was originally a herding breed.

3. How common is it in Australia? Not as rare as some breeds, but less common than most. There are a few around

4. What is the average lifespan? 10-15 years however it is not uncommon for some to reach 17

5. What is the general temperament/personality? Amazing little dogs with a great sense of humour. Always on the go, very curious with boundless energy. They are great little guard dogs and bond strongly to one person, becoming their 'shadow'. In my experience, none that I've met have been true lap dogs. Ys they will sit on your lap, or lay on your lap for a short period of time, but it's not long before they stand up and are on high alert again. Or just stand up because sitting isn't interesting. This is just my experience and what I've read in all my research, however seeing as I'm only a first time owner I am hoping someone with more experience could come in and be more specific.

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult? I have found that they'll take as little or as much as you'll throw at them. Some days I am a very bad dog mum and I don't get a chance to walk them, and Biscuit is fine for 1 day, other days he'll run 9kms with me, or accompany me on hikes, or just walk to the beach/park and have a good game of fetch. Very versatile in exercise needs I'd say! (obviously you can't just leave them sitting in the yard though!)

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with? I'm not sure on this one. I do know that Biscuit is very testing, so it does come in handy, I think, for a schipperke owner to be consistent with the rules, and to have a sense of humour.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods? I'm unsure on this one as I've had a multiple dog household since having Biscuit and don't know of an solo schipperkes either.

9. How much grooming is required? Not much at all. I barely ever brush Biscuit, and they don't have a doggy odour which is great. But boy do they shed. I've got black dog hairs all over my room, and it's even worse when going through the coat drop. Hair just falls out in clumps, and at this time of year I blow dry Biscuit once a week to get rid of the excess hair, as well as daily brushing. Doesn't stop it from going everywhere though!

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)? I don't think so. Someone else might be able to answer this better.

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of? They are a fairly healthy breed, however some can get epilepsy

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be) I think just to make sure the lines are free of epilepsy, MPS-IIIB, and hypothyroidism

I hope I answered the questions OK, schipperkes are such a fantastic breed, I am more than happy to share my (limited) experience with the breed :) And can't wait to read the other answers from those with more experience :)

Yay thankyou Troy :thumbsup: Promise not to message you and harass you for at least a week as a thankyou :rofl:

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

First time owner

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

Schipperke originated in Belgium as a small version of a black Belgian sheepdog known as the Leauvenaar. The name Schipperke is thought to have come from a word meaning "little shepherd," but the dogs were best known for guarding the boats that plied the canals between Brussels and Antwerp. Shoemakers and other tradesmen kept them for their ratting abilities

3. How common is it in Australia?

They are not a common breed, although they also aren't a rare breed.

4. What is the average lifespan?

13- 15 yrs but can be longer with the right diet and care.

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

The Schipperke is the proverbial "big dog in a little dog's body." He's active, confident, and curious. A closed door is simply a challenge to be overcome.

The Schipperke retains his puppylike qualities — including the troublesome ones — until he's 4 or 5 years old.

He loves his people and wants to please them, but he also likes to have his own way. If he's allowed to, the Schipperke will soon be running the household. Protective, fearless, and naturally suspicious of strangers, he makes an excellent watchdog and will take on anyone who seems to have evil intent.

Schipperkes are selective in offering their friendship, generally limiting it to family members, with whom they create strong bonds. When it comes to training, they're mischievous and can be stubborn, but with positive reinforcement they learn quickly.

Like every dog, Schipperkes need early socialization — exposure to many different people, sights, sounds, and experiences — when they're young. Socialization helps ensure that your Schipperke puppy grows up to be a well-rounded dog.

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

Schipperkes need at least half an hour of exercise daily, and more is better. Their people are usually tired before they are. They are always running and playing and will use your house as a racetrack when the mood strikes. Walk them on leash to prevent a sudden dash toward an interesting animal or object.

Count on two daily walks to keep your Schipperke's desire for action satisfied. He'll also enjoy riding in a basket on a bicycle or cruising the aisles of the pet supply store in a grocery cart.

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

On my personal experiences I would say yes as long as your up for a challenge and you can deal with a strong and stubborn personality. They are commonly reffered to as "LBD" "Little Black Devil" and that is exactly what they are but in a cute way compared to some other breeds.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

I think like any breed alone they will get bored very quickly and get into things.

9. How much grooming is required?

Grooming a Schipperke is simple. Weekly brushing will help keep the fur from flying around your house, although some fuzz will always be around. He'll shed heavily, known as blowing coat, once and sometimes twice a year. During that time, a warm bath will help loosen and remove the dead hair. It takes about a month for the shedding process to be complete.

The Schipperke is a clean dog with little odour. Bathe only as needed, usually after he's rolled in something stinky.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

I wouldn't think so, being as they are a little dog, I would highly doubt that they would be able to knock someone over.

Although in saying that they do tend to do "zoomies" and this may scare a small child that is scared of dogs.

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease:

Autoimmune Thyroiditis: Epilepsy:

Patellar Luxation:

Mucopolysaccharidosis Type IIIB (MPSIIIB): Also known as Sanfilippo syndrome type IIIB, MPS IIIB

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

You should be making sure that there are none of the above mentioned health problems, also asking plenty of questions about the temperament of the breed and especially that of your breeders lines, so as to make sure that it is a breed suitable for your home.